DL BOS-LGA Shuttle goes mainline

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorldTraveler

Corn Field
Dec 5, 2003
The DL Shuttle on the BOS-LGA leg will become mainline again on Sept. 1, 2014, which I believe marks the 23rd anniversary of DL's purchase of the Pan Am Shuttle.

Flights will operate on the 717 and will also move to DL's main terminals at LGA with 15 flights/day at the top of the hour.

There isn't word on whether DL will allow connections at LGA on the BOS-LGA legs but the primary reason for DL's policy of not allowing connections is because flights from the Marine Air Terminal are too far from the main operation at LGA to allow connections for passengers or bags.

As has been seen elsewhere on DL's system, this move on the Shuttle will reduce the number of DCI and/or outsourced jobs while increasing jobs for DL employees.

All flights operated at DL's terminals C and D at LGA, regardless of operator, are staffed by DL employees.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/delta-shuttle-boston-departs-laguardias-141900812.html

well looky here.... a few somebodies are ticked off that DL is replacing regional flying with mainline aircraft and moving jobs to mainline employees.

No wonder the union activists can't ever win at DL... the company is constantly working to provide a better experience for the all parties involved including customers and employees.

This move also is yet one more issue which I have said would happen... and I am, once again, right.

Labor JUST CAN'T WIN.

correction: the cutover date will be Nov which marks the acquisition of the DL TATL assets. The Shuttle was transferred to DL two months earlier.

This has nothing too do with labor, 10 flights moving to the main terminal probably won't add any jobs, and if so it will be the lowly paid no benefited Ready Reserve.

Spin away. And funny the past several organizing campaigns in the industry have been successful.

Reactions: 3 people
I always find it soo amusing how someone  in particular a certain dl cheerleader thinks so dam highly of himself   it must be pathetically sad to be that clown. 

wow  dl rescheduling shuttle flights and using the 717  but will the ramp be the RR or some other outfit  or will it be actual DL employees to work the flights

Reactions: 3 people
This has nothing too do with labor, 10 flights moving to the main terminal probably won't add any jobs, and if so it will be the lowly paid no benefited Ready Reserve. Spin away. And funny the past several organizing campaigns in the industry have been successful.
Sure it does... you and robbed have made no end of hay out of the fact that DL flights at the Marine Air Terminal are staffed BW by contractors even though they are large RJs.

Now that DL is moving the flights back to the main terminal and using mainline aircraft, it is not a labor issue.

It's a labor issue when you want it to be but when the company does something that improves the experience for the customer and the employees, it isn't a labor issue.

I get it. So do DL employees who see thru the unions.

that is why they have voted against them at DL about a dozen times in the last decade.

you can tell me the actual count if I am wrong.... but a dozen is pretty close to accurate.

I can't imagine employees of any other company have voted against labor as many times as DL employees have.

yes, DL's strategy of shifting flying from regional carriers to DL employees is very much a story that involves and benefits DL employees.

So is this topic about flights switching terminals or unions?

And since DL's employees have no scope, they can have dedicated gates and still have the work outsourced. Just like Kevin has stated in the past, mainline and outsourced workers working along side each other doing. the same work. There is no guarantee that moving the flights will add jobs nor protect jobs.

Reactions: 2 people
I think it's a nice upgauge in A/C, but that's the end of it. There's nothing saying it will drive ACS headcount. And the idea that a planning decision = some sort of anti union victory is just silly. Hauenstein's got better things to do...

Reactions: 1 person
So what is DL going to do with the MAT? What flights at the main terminal will be moved to the MAT?

Reactions: 2 people
So is this topic about flights switching terminals or unions? And since DL's employees have no scope, they can have dedicated gates and still have the work outsourced. Just like Kevin has stated in the past, mainline and outsourced workers working along side each other doing. the same work. There is no guarantee that moving the flights will add jobs nor protect jobs.
how DL staffed the MAT was an issue only for you and the union activists who continually and repeatedly focused on the fact that DL used contractor underwing personnel at the MAT.

If you'd like to acknowledge that it really never mattered how DL staffed the MAT, then we can agree that it doesn't matter that DL is now moving the flights to mainline personnel at the C terminal.

Of course, DL employees will still work the aircraft in the cockpit and the cabin regardless of where the plane is worked.

The 717 is about increasing passenger choice (more seats if nothing else) and increased amenities (power at every seat).

I think it's a nice upgauge in A/C, but that's the end of it. There's nothing saying it will drive ACS headcount. And the idea that a planning decision = some sort of anti union victory is just silly. Hauenstein's got better things to do...

I never said that DL made decisions that were not also in the best interests of the company; I also don't think DL's network mgmt. is going to get in the middle of labor issues at the expense of the network and we agree on that.

But the issue was repeatedly raised about staffing at the MAT; now that flights are moving to the main terminals where DL people work AW and BW, then it is a matter - or it never was.

take your pick - but if you want to argue it isn't now, then acknowledge it never was.

So what is DL going to do with the MAT? What flights at the main terminal will be moved to the MAT?
LGA-ORD and LGA-DCA flights will still operate from it.

the real key to this change will be if DL allows connections at LGA on the BOS-LGA Shuttle. If that happens, then it will dramatically increase DL's ability to serve the BOS market by adding connections at LGA that have not been available up to this point and also increase DL's competitiveness in BOS to other parts of the NE, SE, and Midwest by providing additional connecting options.

700UW said:
This has nothing too do with labor, 10 flights moving to the main terminal probably won't add any jobs, and if so it will be the lowly paid no benefited Ready Reserve.

Spin away. And funny the past several organizing campaigns in the industry have been successful.
But yet two RJ flights at MEM replaced with additional mainline capacity cuts jobs?

Josh

yes it does move the needle.

1/3 of the flights are moving out.

if you don't see a 1/3 reduction in flights being worked by mainline DL employees as progress, then you likely won't ever see anything as progress.

and FWIW, the Ejets are not likely leaving the system but rather being repositioned elsewhere on DL's system - I'm betting for new flying from LAX and SEA.

Since I believe (and correct me if I am wrong) that all flights at SEA and LAX are worked by mainline personnel, then DL is making progress by redeploying aircraft for customer and employee benefit.

The next step for the 717 is to be flying UP AND DOWN the west coast. SFO-LAX is my guess for the next major market.

the 717 is ideal for high frequency, Shuttle type ops.

Status
Not open for further replies.