DL creates LAX-SFO Shuttle

WorldTraveler

Corn Field
Dec 5, 2003
DL is increasing its focus and continuing its expansion in the west with hourly service between LAX-SFO and with amenities similar to the DL Shuttle in the NE.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/delta-launches-los-angeles-san-160000349.html

Reactions: 1 person
AA, DL, UA and US all had shuttles between LAX-SFO and we all know how bad that worked out for everyone.

Reactions: 3 people
AA, DL, UA and US all had shuttles between LAX-SFO and we all know how bad that worked out for everyone.

To funny...all anybody can say is negative things. This is a different time and era since the last time. Whole different focus. DL has NYC behind them, and obviously is focusing HEAVILY on the west coast.

As I read on other boards, everybody was probably blasting DL when they announced LGA-ORD. How has that turned out...it has turned out good.

And BTW...the E series planes are GREAT planes. Would fly them over domestic mainline any day of the week.

Reactions: 2 people
700 thinks he knows better than the management running the airlines. Airlines are known to serve routes/markets that are highly unprofitable but necessary components in their network. Serving LAX-SFO and keeping a HVC on a DL (Connection) jet over AA, UA, or WN keeps the customer loyal so when it comes time to book that lucrative business class LAX-NRT or LAX-JFK DL hopes to be their carrier of choice.

US is clearly in the fetal position now on BOS-PHL added many flights (including A321s) and slashed fares, seems they feel threatened by jetblues entry into that market.

Josh

DL will be starting CLT-PHL and CLT-EWR soon, they appear not to be shy adding lift into other hubs... I am sure some will argue it's only a couple of flights, but it seems they are slowly ramping up in CLT...not bad considering they are right up the road from their mega hub....

DL will be starting CLT-PHL and CLT-EWR soon, they appear not to be shy adding lift into other hubs... I am sure some will argue it's only a couple of flights, but it seems they are slowly ramping up in CLT...not bad considering they are right up the road from their mega hub....

Some might say CLT is already ramped up for DL... I think we have something like 40(ish) flights/day out of there?

As for LAX-SFO, I was surprised AS' presence is almost non-existant.

LUV flies sfo <-> lax for $231 (walk up/1 day reservation)
UA from $215 to $457 depending on time of day.
IMHO, too many carriers for the LAX/SFO shuttle and competition is fierce.
Maybe Song or TED could get away with it... :p
B) xUT

Some might say CLT is already ramped up for DL... I think we have something like 40(ish) flights/day out of there?

And the ramp is farmed out.

They served the route (LAX-SFO) several years back but now fly from other area airports (ie SJC-LAX)

Josh

700 thinks he knows better than the management running the airlines. Airlines are known to serve routes/markets that are highly unprofitable but necessary components in their network. Serving LAX-SFO and keeping a HVC on a DL (Connection) jet over AA, UA, or WN keeps the customer loyal so when it comes time to book that lucrative business class LAX-NRT or LAX-JFK DL hopes to be their carrier of choice.

US is clearly in the fetal position now on BOS-PHL added many flights (including A321s) and slashed fares, seems they feel threatened by jetblues entry into that market.

Josh
Fetal position, that's funny. Those few flts with E-190's are killin US. If SWA didn't have US in the fetal position on this route, I doubt B6 will. Maybe they will put some 321's in there someday too...

Fetal position, that's funny. Those few flts with E-190's are killin US. If SWA didn't have US in the fetal position on this route, I doubt B6 will. Maybe they will put some 321's in there someday too...

Stay tuned. B6 often opens a station with a small handful of flights to BOS/JFK and progressively adds more markerts . Wouldn't surprise me if they add PHL-FLL/MCO/TPA at the very least. Philadelphia customers will begin to realize all airlines aren't as nauseating as US, and they will fly them and not pay outrageous fares US charges on direct flights for PHL, that's the free market at work.

Again WN operated those flights for several years but you are forgetting that B6 has nearly 150 daily departures from BOS and has become the hometown carrier for many here. WN has a token presence at best in BOS, many in the area hear WN and think they have to travel to MHT/PVD, never mind the fact WN has served BOS for nearly four years. Increasingly corporate accounts in the area are turning to B6 for domestic travel for the convenience of they flights over other options. I'm very happy with the new flights, but won't be traveling to PHL anytime soon.

Josh

off-topic.gif

What about the protection offered under the IAM Alaska Airlines CBA? All but a small handful of their cities are contracted out.

Many US stations see multiple daily mainline flights yet fleet service is contract, while their CWA counterparts upstairs are mainline. I guess you don't like the facts, the CWA has superior scope to the IAM.

Josh

Sad, but true. This is why I laugh when DL's C-suite tries to convince everyone that we're doing a lot of insourcing. They aren't. When they staff places like CLT, MIA, and RDU, then I'll maybe take them seriously.

FWIW, I had RDU & CLT backwards when i posted earlier. CLT's daily average departures are pushing 50...

They served the route (LAX-SFO) several years back but now fly from other area airports (ie SJC-LAX)

Josh

I know.

...And really; I should've known that LAX-SFO was at the level it's at for AS. Still surprised me, though... When I think of AS, I still imagine what/where they flew 10-12 years ago... What can I say?