DL JFK-TLV changes

Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Was reported a few weeks back flight is going 744 to 777...any update regarding second frequency or other changes at JFK to stage the aircraft?

Josh

Reactions: 1 person
Nothing new to report except rumour.   The rumour was that it was the NRT flight that wasn't doing so well and it would be down gauged
to the 777.   Therefore the TLV would as well. NRT-JFK-TLV. However that hasn't happened because the NRT flight is still showing a 744.
just seems strange there hasn't been an update yet.  and nothing yet about a 2nd JFK-TLV flight. 

Thanks BABA much appreciated. I wonder if the ATL flight will ever come back.

Josh

if you don't mind if I answer, the chances of ATL working are slim to none. It is a market that requires a full double pilot crew because it is over 12 hours, it requires a 332 or larger because of the distance, and ATL-TLV has a low percent of local traffic relative to JFK/EWR.

Note the high percentage of USA - TLV flights that originate/terminate from NYC.

Baba is likely right that the JFK-NRT flight is driving the change to TLV... but the problem is that DL has to be able to replace the 744s with other aircraft and DL just doesn't have much slack in the 777 fleet to be able to replace the 744s. The 744s and 777s are the only DL aircraft that can do 13 plus hour flights with consistency.

The new 333s could do JFK-TLV with ease but they aren't here yet and they won't be able to do JFK-NRT so it isn't clear whether it is worth trying to use them for TLV alone.

Reactions: 2 people
I wouldn't object to DL trying BOS on the 332 :). Massport and CJP are really pushing for it. Unlikely on DL granted, LY is more likely.

Josh

BOS makes a lot of sense for many TATL markets but the whole separate terminal issue is a big one for DL that is paying a lot for a terminal which it could fill much more if it had an FIS in the facility. But why should DL increase costs to add more int'l flying? better to add domestic flights so it can use the same terminal.

heck no.

almost all TLV service comes from Europe and the US. IIRC, and not certain, that KE has TLV service but there aren't many places in Asia that have TLV service because there is a very small Christian or Jewish population there. S. Korea has one of the highest percentages of Christians of an Asian country.

SLC is an even smaller market and limits the connections to the western US - and would also require a 4 person cockpit crew plus a 777 (a 332 couldn't even do SLC-TLV)

also, I believe TLV is part of the DL- AF/KL/AZ joint venture - other countries in MENA (Middle East/N. Africa) are. DL will have its own service but both sides of the JV benefit from each other's presence and can connect passengers to/from the alliance.

It is because of the political sensitivities involving the US that will likely preclude DL returning to much of the Arab Middle East but AF/KL have no problems serving that region of the world.

Also, I believe DL doesn't even overfly Pakistan flying to India while AF/KL do.

No clue but pre-2011 didn't DL serve JFK-AMM & CAI on 763? I know people who have taken the ICN-TLV flight and it is often full and has stayed around so it must perform alright.

Josh

yes, DL served AMM and CAI until 9/10/01.

I expect that KE does well in part because ICN is a powerful hub and because there is interest in Israel from S. Korea.

BTW, there seems to be some rumblings that there might be some news to come regarding an expanded DL relationship with KE.

737823 said:
No clue but pre-2011 didn't DL serve JFK-AMM & CAI on 763? I know people who have taken the ICN-TLV flight and it is often full and has stayed around so it must perform alright.

Josh
Correct, the 76T was used on JFK-TLV/CAI/AMM prior to that the MD11 was used JFK- CAI/DBX and JFK-TLV

WorldTraveler said:
BTW, there seems to be some rumblings that there might be some news to come regarding an expanded DL relationship with KE.

Dang...the resident AA Cheerleader on all the airline boards will have to go into therapy if this is true!

Reactions: 3 people
the other half of this rotation - JFK-NRT - is now confirmed to be operating on the 777.

DTWNRT and DTWPVG will both be getting the 744 for the winter.

other notable changes are an increase in capacity to/from Italy using the A333 which usually does not fly to Italy during the winter, increase in capacity to SCL with the 764 and BOG(both have been there before at some points in the past), DL's first regular widebody service to BSB, and the upgrade of the new SEA-ICN service to a 332.

there are several 777s in the TATL schedule which means DL does have the ability to pull them out and add longer haul TPAC service if they wanted to - and likely will next summer.

http://airlineroute.net/2014/06/28/dl-w14update1/

it is also noteworthy that 4 out of the 5 DTW-Asia flights will be on 744s with PEK operating on the 332.

The largest US carrier gateways to Asia from the mainland US by seats will be UA at SFO, DL at DTW, DL at SEA, UA at ORD, and then AA at DFW.

Delta is pulling all 777 service to and from LHR, switching them to AMS and using the A330 to LHR.

Latest posts