DL loses a wheel and some brake parts on TLV runway

FWAAA said:
JFK-TLV arrives TLV around 1735 and departs TLV around 2335, so I think it sits for more like 6 hours, not 2.5, but even TLV-based mechanics should be able to change a tyre in 2.5 hours (or 6 hours) and should still have had sufficient time to torque the bolts to the required specs.Apparently, you didn't read the article, either, which discloses that about 10 departures occurred after the DL flight and before the officials noticed the debris on the runway.Had another AF 4590 disaster occurred, I wonder if Israeli law would excuse DL due to TLV officials ignoring the ground-debris radar warning? It would still have been DL's debris but the proximate cause of the disaster would have been the inexcusable behaviour of TLV officials not cleaning the debris for about 5 hours. The really good news is that everyone on board the subsequent flights at TLV took off and landed safely despite the despicable behaviour of the TLV officials.
I stand corrected on the ground time. I've flown That trip many times and your right . El Al mechs Work on our flights and routine tire changes are not the norm in out stations. Ten departures after midnight is more then I thought .

Reactions: 1 person
jimntx said:
Actually, the DL mechanics from JFK parachuted to the plane while it was in a holding pattern off New Jersey and did the necessary repairs to the airplane; so, it didn't have to land with any missing parts.
Parachute? heck they flew  up to the plane like  the supermen they are

Reactions: 2 people
Word Unraveler said:
I suspect a tyre may have been replaced on the overnight check at TLV and incorrectly secured?
 highly unlikely.

FWAAA said:
JFK-TLV arrives TLV around 1735 and departs TLV around 2335, so I think it sits for more like 6 hours, not 2.5, but even TLV-based mechanics should be able to change a tyre in 2.5 hours (or 6 hours) and should still have had sufficient time to torque the bolts to the required specs.

Apparently, you didn't read the article, either, which discloses that about 10 departures occurred after the DL flight and before the officials noticed the debris on the runway.

Had another AF 4590 disaster occurred, I wonder if Israeli law would excuse DL due to TLV officials ignoring the ground-debris radar warning? It would still have been DL's debris but the proximate cause of the disaster would have been the inexcusable behaviour of TLV officials not cleaning the debris for about 5 hours. The really good news is that everyone on board the subsequent flights at TLV took off and landed safely despite the despicable behaviour of the TLV officials.
Delta wouldn't generally do a tire change at a station like TLV. I would honestly be shocked if there are even spare parts in TLV. 

dawg, do you have an explanation for how it might have happened?

thank you for confirming that DL doesn't do routine tire changes in stations like TLV.

WorldTraveler said:
dawg, do you have an explanation for how it might have happened?

thank you for confirming that DL doesn't do routine tire changes in stations like TLV.
airplanes are like cars, s**t happens does happen sometimes.

And airplanes are designed to be able to fly without a tire.

The bigger issue here is the the TLV ATC wetting the bed. IIRC Israel was in trouble with the FAA not that long ago for bed wetting.....

Just think how much more efficient ATL would be as a hub if passengers could be taught to do that instead of spending time walking thru the airport.

topDawg said:
And airplanes are designed to be able to fly without a tire...
I agree.

It is the landing part that causes issue with tire/wheel/brakes missing. ;-)

I would be interested to see which one it was. And I know tire changes are done on international turns by vendors if needed. I have done many for other carriers on turns.

Only if the tire could not be deferred due to chunking, damage, etc....

topDawg said:
Delta wouldn't generally do a tire change at a station like TLV. I would honestly be shocked if there are even spare parts in TLV. 

Why?  DL wouldn't trust a contractor?

Latest posts