DL plans MCO-GRU service

Status
Not open for further replies.
southwind said:
Pot........meet Kettle!

Any more questions?
Did it take you all night to think that up?

11-9-08-captain_obvious.jpg

Never claimed I did, and never claimed I will get a memo from DL unlike the obsessed poster of the DL Cult.

Reactions: 4 people
and neither will anyone else who has claimed that DL is increasing capacity.

They are simply reallocating part of what they flew to offer lower costs with the reallocated capacity closer to Brazil which means lower costs - and more directly centered in the competitive environment in which DL wants to be.

Anyone who can understand what is going on doesn't need to get a memo - which I didn't claim I did or would get

DL is increasing its competitive footprint to Latin America, helping its strategic partner, and cutting costs all at the same time.

MAH4546 said:
So much spin.

Brazil-U.S. isn't strong right now. Delta is cutting capacity overall in the market, while moving other capacity from Atlanta to Orlando. Simple as that. It's not an entirely dumb idea, but the fact remains that Brazilian tourism to the U.S. is going to start hurting, the fares from Orlando to Brazil suck, and while the market is absolutely huge, it's still only about two-fifths the size as it is from Miami. 

All true, and those ten A333's need to fly somewhere.  

Japan isn't profitable.  Europe isn't profitable.  LatAm isn't profitable.  

Might as well roll the dice and find something that's the least bad choice.

Reactions: 4 people
first, in terms of capacity, the 333s are largely replacing 744 capacity. DL's Pacific growth will come when the 350s start coming.

and DL has long wanted a 300 seat aircraft to serve GRU but the NW 333s were deemed not capable given that they have lower thrust engines. DL has not been willing to use 777s to S. America given that they are largely used to Asia, Africa, and the Middle East - as evidenced by the fact that DL's average 777 stage length at over 6000 miles is about 1000 miles longer than UA's and 2000 miles longer longer than AA's.

so, no, the new 333s will eventually be used where their range can serve markets where a 13 hour or high performance 333 is needed - which incidentally covers most of DL's US-Japan routes as well as ATL to GRU where a single flight to ATL can easily and profitably fill a 300 seat aircraft.

Reactions: 1 person
In effect, all of the "new" Brasil flying is simply reallocating their ATL flying?

Going head to head with TAM doesn't sound very smart, since JJ already owns the Brasil point of sale.

Reactions: 3 people
Since DL didn't lose 1 billion bucks in any intl region while AA did DL clearly has options

BSB is not and never has been a large business market. MCO is shorter and stll well connected to DL's network

WorldTraveler said:
. MCO is shorter and stll well connected to DL's network

That DL network at MCO is, or soon will be about a dozen cities that see regular DL service, plus another dozen seasonal routes.
Yeah, that will definitely be as good as ATL.
ROTFLMAO

You need to spin faster spin master.

FrugalFlyerv2.0 said:
That DL network at MCO is, or soon will be about a dozen cities that see regular DL service, plus another dozen seasonal routes.
Yeah, that will definitely be as good as ATL.
Yeah, to be fair, using MCO as an alternative to ATL may not be a bad thing.

There are a few airports I could be happy never seeing again, and that's one of them.

Reactions: 1 person
eolesen said:
In effect, all of the "new" Brasil flying is simply reallocating their ATL flying?

Going head to head with TAM doesn't sound very smart, since JJ already owns the Brasil point of sale.

eolesen said:
Yeah, to be fair, using MCO as an alternative to ATL may not be a bad thing.

There are a few airports I could be happy never seeing again, and that's one of them.

Agreed.  It's risky, although to the points already discussed - it seems Delta may not have had a choice given that MCO was likely one of the, if not the single, largest feed markets for Delta's ATL-Brazil flights.  MCO may not be that bad a substitute from a network standpoint given that the U.S.-BSB market is likely even more concentrated than the U.S.-GRU and U.S.-GIG markets, with the vast majority of O&D likely emanated from a very small list of U.S. cities (NYC, MIA, MCO, etc.), most of which in addition to MCO likely have nonstops on Delta to MCO.

Nonetheless, it does seem somewhat risky.  While MCO almost certainly generates substantially more O&D to Brazil in general and BSB specifically than ATL, it is likely lower-yielding - and also likely to become even more so in the future as more and more capacity pours in.  Additionally, I suspect MCO-Brazil is heavily weighted towards Brazil-originating, giving Brazilian carriers arguably a natural advantage.  And finally, shifting Delta's network access into BSB from ATL to MCO will, no matter what, still sacrifice at least some connecting demand that will be undermined by the loss of any link to the massive ATL hub.

All that being said, though, again, I'm not sure Delta has a choice.  And once a JV is in place with GOL, many of these issues are likely offset by more incremental feed from coordinating more Brazil-bound connections via GOL's BSB and GRU flights.

New York barely comes into the equation for the markets outside GIG/GRU/CNF.

Florida is probably close to 80% of BSB-U.S. traffic. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts