DL retires first747-400 built

metopower said:
Retro's of "their" former paint jobs. NOT paint jobs of the airlines they ruined. AA would never have a Reno Air or TWA paint job if they were not run by america west/ usair

topDawg said:
and Meto I agree. We have a brand (I don't like it but we have it) and i think we should stick to it

I kind of agree with both of you in that I am not a big fan of either "retro" livery (AA) or special theme livery such as sports teams (US) former absorbed carriers (US) or select states / places (WN, AK).

But if the aircraft is being retired and going to a museum, I could tolerate the NW paint job - even in a DL museum.  I think that place is where it belongs.  There I would not see it as divisive (NW was better than DL) but rather to highlight history. 
Just my $0.02.

It's the Delta Museum not the history of Delta. The parts that makeup Delta are represented "inside" the museum.

FrugalFlyerv2.0 said:

I kind of agree with both of you in that I am not a big fan of either "retro" livery (AA) or special theme livery such as sports teams (US) former absorbed carriers (US) or select states / places (WN, AK).

But if the aircraft is being retired and going to a museum, I could tolerate the NW paint job - even in a DL museum.  I think that place is where it belongs.  There I would not see it as divisive (NW was better than DL) but rather to highlight history. 
Just my $0.02.
I don't disagree with that at all. 

but its a slippery slope. How you justify it to the ex WA/PA/NE etc. etc employees? Delta/Northwest has had so many airlines merged into it that the employee group comes from all over. I feel like if they do it for one they should do it for all. (and as i said, that just wouldn't be possible for the museum) 

topDawg said:
Sitting at the TOC getting parted out is my understanding. 

It will be interesting to see if they paint it here, Bay 10 hasn't been used for paint in a very long time. 

I work out of bay 10. It was used to paint earlier this year. No reason for it not to be painted here, especially considering it is going to be stripped of parts.

atlmech said:
I work out of bay 10. It was used to paint earlier this year. No reason for it not to be painted here, especially considering it is going to be stripped of parts.
Really? didn't know that. I didn't think they had used bay 10 for paint pretty much since Delta north moved over. 

Welcome to the boards btw! 

topDawg said:
Really? didn't know that. I didn't think they had used bay 10 for paint pretty much since Delta north moved over. 

Welcome to the boards btw! 
Thanks for the welcome.

Its not normmaly used for paint. Just for aircraft larger than a 767-400. A330's and 747's can only fit in 10. More contract plane have been painted in there than Delta a/c.

The museum has liveries and collectors items of its heritage carriers inside the museum and they are all much older and smaller aircraft than current aircraft. All of the aircraft parked outside of the museum are in Delta paint. The museum has improved a lot and it should be on the list of any airline fan.

The 747 is also one of the best passenger planes ever built.  I have flown as far as LAX-SYD nonstop on it--on the last row, middle section of coach.  It was comfortable enough to sleep (though that may be the result of Air New Zealand's generous configuration).  Also, I love the way it lands.  You're in the air, and then your not.  Never had a 747 pilot produce a bump or a rattle on landing.

atlmech said:
Thanks for the welcome.

Its not normmaly used for paint. Just for aircraft larger than a 767-400. A330's and 747's can only fit in 10. More contract plane have been painted in there than Delta a/c.
I know about the size part, I just haven't noticed any painting going on down there. (of course I honestly couldn't tell you the last time i have been down that way) 

Anyways, good to know they do still paint in it every now and then. 

jimntx said:
The 747 is also one of the best passenger planes ever built.  I have flown as far as LAX-SYD nonstop on it--on the last row, middle section of coach.  It was comfortable enough to sleep (though that may be the result of Air New Zealand's generous configuration).  Also, I love the way it lands.  You're in the air, and then your not.  Never had a 747 pilot produce a bump or a rattle on landing.
agreed completely. One of the smoothest flying airplanes I have flown on. 

DL's  BCRF new paint paint

12042637_10206553061858523_1627033842898243335_n.jpg

Reactions: 1 person