DL rumored to acquire used A340-600s

Status
Not open for further replies.
If meto is correct. And I suspct he is...then it also makes my own opin as I mentioned that dl doesnt need another 4 engine plane when a 777 cld do the trick or 787 can do it. It just doesnt make sense to add anthr 4 engine gas guzzler when costs would increase w it in a period when most airlines are cost neutral

everyone knows that DL doesn't need a 4 engine jet and they wouldn't buy another new one.
The question is and also has been that there might be a deal that could make sense on a short term basis to put off having to spend billions of dollars to replace the 744s in the next few years.

They will leave the fleet and DL must find a true 14-16 hour aircraft.

I continue to believe that there will be a combination of used and new aircraft to do the trick.

DL's statements about further reducing debt and limiting capital spending validate that the chances of them going on an aircraft spending spree for new planes is highly unlikely. Wall Street likes hearing that DL ISN'T doing what other carriers have done for years.

metopower said:
I hate to put a nail in this rumor thread but those 340's are not in DL 's future.RA told the pilots at the last meeting that no 4 engine aircraft are in DL 's future after the 744.

...And everyone lived happily ever after. The end.

OTOH, this is the same man that told people that DL would be a "standalone carrier." How'd that turn out?

Reactions: 1 person
Kev3188 said:

OTOH, this is the same man that told people that DL would be a "standalone carrier." How'd that turn out?
That's the ticket

Kev3188 said:

Yes fairy tells are great.
DL is standing alone after a number of mergers and acquisitions.
not sure when you found that quote but DL's success with mergers is indisputable.
specifically it was the NW merger that brought Airbi that worked and DL likes. DL's previous experience with Airbus wasn't great.
mergers may be over or not but fleet diversity os aboit tappped out short of Russsian or Asian aircraft.

Who knows about those?

DL is standing alone after a number of mergers and acquisitions.
No kidding.

not sure when you found that quote

For someone who prides themselves on having their finger on the pulse of the industry, I'm surprised you hadn't heard that.

'Course it's also possible you're just playing coy.

Either way, happy reading:

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/money/economy/2007-08-21-1348203948_x.htm

"Delta executives, faced with questions about a post-bankruptcy valuation below what they initially projected and below what US Airways offered for Delta, have declined to speculate about whether the airline would consider a deal with another carrier to increase shareholder value.

Anderson told reporters Tuesday that in the long run the airline industry might see some consolidation, but that is not Delta's focus right now.

As for a linkup with Eagan, Minn.-based Northwest, Anderson said, "There is no plans or intentions or previously agreed to plans to merge them." 

Reactions: 6 people
yes, and every comment has a context.

The only point your citation makes is that DL has done an incredible job of determining its own future from the day it entered BK to no.

My comment and DL's was that they were not interested in a merger with US. that became reality.

NO one would have expected DL or NW to have said "we're talking to each other, we filed in the same courthouse on the same day, and we plan a merger at some point in the future" but that is what happen.

DL isn't going to say anything about any aircraft acquisitions until the time is right to do so. As with most things related to the pilots, it is part of a pretty big list of things that both sides want.

Again, I don't care what aircraft DL acquires. I do care that DL have the tools to grow where it most matters - in Asia/Pacific where 767s and 330s won't do the trick, yet that is what DL has the most of.

FWIW, the traffic reports that came out again this month show that UA's attempts to add even a marginal amount of capacity only caused their traffic to fall. DL added a bunch of capacity to Latin America and filled it. DL said in its investor presentation that its growth focus internationally is Latin America. Europe is stable. Asia will be focused on restructuring the NRT hub into overflights. Domestic will be focused on moderate growth, most of which for mainline will come from returning flying from regional carriers to mainline.

Not surprisingly, the growth trends in the industry show similar trends. Given the current pricing environment, none of the US carriers is significantly growing in Asia in part because each has a fairly significant amount of Japan exposure that is not turning around.

UA kept Latin capacity flat. AA added Latin capacity but didn't fill it.

Anyone who wants to understand where the industry is going and for what purposes aircraft are needed should only look at the traffic reports.

DL was right to pass on USAIR. From a network perspective I'm not really sure what value USAIR brings to AA, and many professionals I know in the space have agreed with that assessment. Its very early in the process, the merger will not necessarily go over smoothly.

Despite the many differences in operations and culture (incompatible fleet, highly unionized workforce, different route networks), DL really leveraged NWs aircraft, facilities, and presence in Asia.  Of course, I recognize Kev probably feels the merger hasn't been a win for organized labor but I believe the "synergy" guidance has been upped numerous times since the deal was announced.  

Josh

Parker wanted to run one of the big 3 and got it.

DL far succeed in what it got in the NW merger, even if some PMNW merger wish it had never happened.

US and DL's route system were very similar at the time of the merger while NW's was highly complementary to both DL and US. NW chose the airline that could create the biggest mass and have the best chance of succeeding and every indication is that the DL-NW merger, including the addition of Airbus aircraft and the greatly increased complexity of the fleet has worked beautifully.

Let's get back to AA-US in five years and see where they are at the same point. They may or may not have reached the same point or even gone past. It is simply too early to know.

I don't think anyone in leadership, on the board, or stockholders at DL have any regrets about the decision to spurn US and go with NW>

Reactions: 2 people
WorldTraveler said:
Parker wanted to run one of the big 3 and got it.

DL far succeed in what it got in the NW merger, even if some PMNW merger wish it had never happened.

US and DL's route system were very similar at the time of the merger while NW's was highly complementary to both DL and US. NW chose the airline that could create the biggest mass and have the best chance of succeeding and every indication is that the DL-NW merger, including the addition of
Airbus aircraft and the greatly increased complexity of the fleet has worked beautifully.

Let's get back to AA-US in five years and see where they are at the same point. They may or may not have reached the same point or even gone past. It is simply too early to know.

I don't think anyone in leadership, on the board, or stockholders at DL have any regrets about the decision to spurn US and go with NW>

I fixed it for ya...

Status
Not open for further replies.