DL Settles with Kip Hedges

eolesen

Veteran
Jul 23, 2003
So much for the notion that DL was entirely within their rights to terminate, eh?

http://www.aviationpros.com/news/12106957/fired-ramp-worker-a-union-activist-at-msp-settles-claims-against-delta

A former Twin Cities baggage handler for Delta Air Lines has reached a settlement with the commercial carrier over his legal claims that he was fired from his job of 26 years for union organizing and making public comments about low pay for Delta's ground workers.

Christopher "Kip" Hedges said Monday that he and Delta on Aug. 13 settled the suit filed in U.S. District Court in Minneapolis.

Hedges added that his workers' compensation claim against the Atlanta-based airline in connection with his back injuries was also settled.

Hedges said that terms of the settlements in both filings prevent him from revealing any details.

"I would love to blab all over the place," said Hedges, of Minneapolis, who did say he will not be returning to his job with Delta. "I need to abide by the confidentiality of the agreements."

Roger Poehls, an attorney who represented Hedges in his workers' compensation case, said, "I think all parties were satisfied with the results. It was a difficult situation for someone that spent so much time working for the airlines."

Delta officials declined to comment on the settlements.

Reactions: 3 people
there is nothing in what you quoted that supports your statement.

So much for the notion that DL was entirely within their rights to terminate, eh?
DL said from the beginning it was not contesting Kip's unemployment claim.

Reactions: 1 person
WorldTraveler said:
there is nothing in what you quoted that supports your statement.
False.

WorldTraveler said:
DL said from the beginning it was not contesting Kip's unemployment claim.
Neither tha article nor eolesen mentioned "unemployment claim."

Hedges settled his claims that his firing was retaliation for his advocacy and he settled worker compensation claims for back injuries. Nothing about "unemployment claim" which DL did not contest.

Reactions: 4 people
Hedges THINKS he settled his claim based on retaliation but nothing has been released that says that not and as a lawyer you know full well that DL never signed anything saying that.

Kip got money ... and retirement.

There is no reason given for why DL agreed to retire him, likely at full benefits but also with the statement that he is not permitted to talk about what it involves.

DL wanted him gone for whatever reason... we don't and won't know the reasons or settlement.

Reactions: 3 people
700UW said:
You are truly blind.
i
They paid him for his silence.
they paid for him to leave.

perhaps they calculated the cost of paying him off as being worth it but it isn't known so, no, I'm not blind, I'm just sticking to the facts.

700UW said:
They paid him for his silence.
They also paid to avoid having a ruling that shows they don't play by the rules when it comes to organizing campaigns.

I hope he got his retirement and gets to bump WT off of a flight with his seniority one of these days.

Reactions: 6 people
eolesen said:
I hope he got his retirement and gets to bump WT off of a flight with his seniority one of these days.
what an odd, but not surprising, comment.

I doubt if he has more seniority than I do.... but feel free to post it if you know it.

Reactions: 2 people
Even if he does, and I'm still not convinced he has more than me because my seniority date is into the "zone" of full normal retirement, it's not likely we will be on the same flights... and as much as you or E want to try to make it a case, he is a fellow DL retiree and thus afforded the same benefits as I have - no more, no less.

Trying to make it more than that or become something divisive about any number of issue to the exclusion of the facts is precisely what I have come to expect from the lowest feeders of this site - and why they are so often wrong.

When you focus on revenge and emotion, you are far more likely to be wrong than if the focus is on the facts.

On a side note;  CONGRATS to Kip for standing up for what is right.  He chose to settle because it was the amount of the money.  And yes 700 he was paid to be quiet, and Delta did not get a ruling proving they got involved with disrupting a union drive.  Both sides are a win-win.  Employee gets paid off (to be quiet) and company gets away with blocking union organization.  With the back and other issues involved in this case it was not cheap for Delta.  My hat tipped to Kip for standing up and fighting for what is right.  BTW, Anyone know who his representation was held by? And did he have to do it all on his own since the mechanics at Delta are not represented by a union.   Way to go Kip, the results speaks volumes...

Reactions: 2 people