DL starting SJC-LAS

Q. Other than to eliminate WN's monopoly on routes that WN serves in the west, why else would DL want to do this?

A. eliminate WN's monopoly on routes that WN serves in the west.

apparently WN's unwillingness to participate in industry GDSs provides an opportunity for DL esp. in markets that have corporate and foreign point of sale traffic.

Maybe Delta has given up on running AS out of business, and has decided to ruin WN because they refused to roll over at Love Field and let DL do whatever DL wanted.  I'm sure if WN loses their monopoly on SJC-LAS, bankruptcy will be the only other option.

Reactions: 4 people
huh?

DL is taking on BOTH WN and AS apparently. SEA-SNA was flown by both. DL now serves AS' top markets from SEA, is STILL AT DAL, and is picking off point to point routes in the west.

Kev3188 said:
Flying will be done by CP. Anyone know if this is the first time LAS has seen the E75 (for NW or DL)? Are they using this route as a bridge?
Compass is flying five out of eight LAX-LAS flights on Monday, and one daily flight SEA-LAS on Monday, so I don't think this is the first DL E175 to LAS.

I understand the use of E175s from both SEA and LAX as they both connect passengers to/from DL's long-haul flights at SEA and LAX, but aren't the E175s higher CASM flights than WN 737s from SJC?

The Ejets have very favorable CASM to mainline in general.

And if DL is going after corporate or int'l revenue rather than just general leisure travel, then a higher CASm can be justified.

WorldTraveler said:
apparently WN's unwillingness to participate in industry GDSs provides an opportunity for DL esp. in markets that have corporate and foreign point of sale traffic.

DL just figured this out now?

captain-obvious.jpg

I apologize for ridiculing you, but I think in your zeal to have the final post/word on everything you don't even bother to stop and think about what you are about to type?  I hope you have the mental horsepower to grasp this and perhaps have an intelligent business discussion (after all, as you have said your career in the industry spanned several decades ... ... ...)

Reactions: 3 people
I don't have a NEED to get in the last word... but I am not going to roll over and play dead while incorrect statements are made.

And YOU were the one that stomped on Kevin's post right above yours while I was content to let his post remain as the final.

and what you fail to miss is that DL has repeatedly chosen markets competitive with LCCs where it can provide a network carrier presence and likely leverage DL's size and product offering.

DAL is in part about not accepting the notion that legacy carriers have to be relegated to DFW - and the legal basis for DL being at DAL is well developed - and the same is true in SEA where DL has very successfully built a hub against a carrier that has lower costs than WN, but where DL provides a worldwide network.

As the lowest CASM carrier of the big 3 AND ALSO having the highest RASM, DL is clearly able to pick off corporate and high yield international passengers even in markets where LCCs are very strong.

It is possible that SJC-LAS is a market where DL has or is trying to gain a corporate contract - and we have seen DL announce routes only to pull them shortly thereafter - but there is a good chance that DL sees an opportunity to solidify its position in both SJC and LAS. DL's network coverage in the bay area including at SJC is actually quite good considering it is connected north and south to hubs along the west coast plus also to the east via other hubs.

WorldTraveler said:
Q. Other than to eliminate WN's monopoly on routes that WN serves in the west, why else would DL want to do this?

Would you care to elaborate on the foreign point of sale DL is pursuing here?

Or shall that be filed as another one of WT's Fabricated Facts?

WorldTraveler said:
I don't have a NEED to get in the last word...

But you still replied.

e4fd59ffd5026e8d4fc2498d89905d41.jpg

Reactions: 2 people
see... you just can't help yourself from refraining from engaging in character assassinations of other people in order to try to stay in the game.

It should be apparent to anyone what kind of businesses operate in Silicon Valley and what kinds of passengers fly between SJC and LAS.

WorldTraveler said:
see... you just can't help yourself from refraining from engaging in character assassinations of other people in order to try to stay in the game.It should be apparent to anyone what kind of businesses operate in Silicon Valley and what kinds of passengers fly between SJC and LAS.
Pot meet Kettle

Reactions: 3 people
WorldTraveler said:
It should be apparent to anyone what kind of businesses operate in Silicon Valley and what kinds of passengers fly between SJC and LAS.

So you're saying IT people are too stupid to figure out how to find cheap fares from SF Bay area to Vegas?
Come on, you can do better.

who said anyone is stupid?

again, the depths that you and others here go to in order to try to defame me is breathtaking.

DL's flights appear in global GDSs. WN's do not.

Doesn't mean that there aren't foreigners that don't buy on airlines that don't appear in GDSs but carriers that do always have an advantage in markets where domestic only airlines don't have near the presence that int'l carriers do.

Regardless of the reason, which I doubt you would ever accept from me, DL IS starting SJC-LAS and is able to do it because it can successfully compete in markets alongside WN.

DL competes in markets in the western US that only DL and WN serve.

the notion that DL can't or shouldn't be able to succeed in a point to point market with Ejets against WN who also operates on a point to point basis with 737s is simple ignorance of what really goes on in the industry.

Latest posts