DL starting SJC-LAS

WorldTraveler said:
who said anyone is stupid?

again, the depths that you and others here go to in order to try to defame me is breathtaking.

DL's flights appear in global GDSs. WN's do not.

Doesn't mean that there aren't foreigners that don't buy on airlines that don't appear in GDSs but carriers that do always have an advantage in markets where domestic only airlines don't have near the presence that int'l carriers do.

Regardless of the reason, which I doubt you would ever accept from me, DL IS starting SJC-LAS and is able to do it because it can successfully compete in markets alongside WN.

DL competes in markets in the western US that only DL and WN serve.

the notion that DL can't or shouldn't be able to succeed in a point to point market with Ejets against WN who also operates on a point to point basis with 737s is simple ignorance of what really goes on in the industry.

You did.
You said DL is after the foreigners that fly into SJC that want to potentially go to Vegas, but apparently can't fly on WN because WN fares don't appear in GDSs.  Here:

WorldTraveler said:
Q. Other than to eliminate WN's monopoly on routes that WN serves in the west, why else would DL want to do this?

apparently WN's unwillingness to participate in industry GDSs provides an opportunity for DL esp. in markets that have corporate and foreign point of sale traffic.

It's fascinating that IT people are apparently smart enough to purchase tickets at home on LCCs (be they IndiGo, or Ryanair etc)., but they could not figure out how to buy a ticket on a LCC in the USA.
BTW - I think that besides Mexico the only foreign flights to SJC are from Japan and maybe Germany, both on airlines that are UA partners.  But hey, they'll jump onto that DL flight to Vegas, sure.

How do you make this stuff up?

Spin away.

BTW - I think that besides Mexico the only foreign flights to SJC are from Japan and maybe Germany, both on airlines that are UA partners.  But hey, they'll jump onto that DL flight to Vegas, sure.
For the record, NRT (NH) and PEK (HU) are served currently, with LHR (BA) and FRA (LH) starting next year.  All cities with a myriad of existing connecting and, in the case of the last two, non-stop options to LAS.

It'll be a nice alternative for residents of the south bay looking to avoid WN or the drive up to SFO/OAK.  HP/US used to operate I believe 2 or 3 flights a day between LAS and SJC until the route was cut at the end of 2009, though they did have the benefit of a hub operation at one end.

thankfully, a voice of reason.

Competition is all about providing choice.

Fares on the SJC-LAS route are comparable to or better than other markets that DL serves from LAX or elsewhere on the west coast competitive with WN.

DL is a global carrier and has better global reach by virtue of participating in global GDS.

Only those who want to argue for the sake of arguing and devoid of any logic would argue against that.

strangiatotheme said:
For the record, NRT (NH) and PEK (HU) are served currently, with LHR (BA) and FRA (LH) starting next year.  All cities with a myriad of existing connecting and, in the case of the last two, non-stop options to LAS.

It'll be a nice alternative for residents of the south bay looking to avoid WN or the drive up to SFO/OAK.  HP/US used to operate I believe 2 or 3 flights a day between LAS and SJC until the route was cut at the end of 2009, though they did have the benefit of a hub operation at one end.

Thank you for updating / correcting me on the foreign carriers that fly to SJC.
Also, your reasoning that people might chose to fly out of SJC as opposed to driving further to SFO or OAK is a lot more plausible explanation than (paraphrasing) "foreigners visiting the Bay area don't know how to buy WN tickets and therefore a huge market for DL".

you are free to accept whatever explanation you want... just don't argue against what someone is saying unless you have data to deny that what they are saying is correct.

Regardless of the reason, there is no denying that DL has a history of successfully serving markets alongside WN that other carriers don't serve, esp. on a point to point basis.

A whole lot of people seem to think that legacy carriers are restricted to operating from well defined hubs and not be able to make point to point routes work when in fact in many cases, the economics of point to point routes are as good if not better for operating point to point routes than for hub routes that carry high percentages of connections.

WorldTraveler said:
you are free to accept whatever explanation you want... just don't argue against what someone is saying unless you have data to deny that what they are saying is correct.

I'm sorry, I didn't see you post any data to back up your claim(s) about DL winning the foreign point of sale for SJC-LAS because IT guys are too dumb to obtain airfare from carriers that don't use GDS.

123f9a56c43db2c7d5e72939bcf8ff0b.jpg

Reactions: 1 person
you didn't see any data because you manipulated and distorted the question.

Try to rephrase it quoting ONLY what was said.

Hmmm. I used to work for a company that was owned by a GDS, and I used to consult for the IT arm of a GDS. I've forgotten more about GDS's than WT probably ever knew.

Even senior leadership at the GDS recognizes it's a dying business model, especially now that the internet is the primary way that people shop for travel. The only reason the GDS's stay profitable and relevant is because travel management companies are even more afraid of change than the GDS's are, and still have a lock on corporate travel management.

Even there, WN's done a stellar job of getting the TMC's to buy direct from them. The main reason WN refuses to file their fares in the GDS's is because they don't need to -- people seek them out. Why pay to sell a product that you're already selling fine without a middleman?

Really, the whole insinuation that DL can jump into a market and be successful "because they're in the GDS" is simply too idiotic to bother responding to.

Reactions: 3 people
and yet the majority of int'l travel is still sold thru GDSs. Dying perhaps. Dead No.

and yet you bothered to respond and throw innuendos because "you have me on ignore"

Hmmm yes.

you only bother to surface when you can jump into another opportunity to defame me.

but when the facts that you have repeatedly misstated one industry issue after another are shown to you, you have to get threads locked and removed so that evidence can't be seen by the rest of the world.

DL is starting SJC-LAS because as a global network carrier it has advantages that WN, the only other carrier that flies the route, can't duplicate.

Except for all the people buying direct on low cost carriers around the world - tough one when reality sets in

people buy direct on legacy carrier websites.

The only tough part is realizing that legacy carriers have a presence not just on their own websites and those of their partners but also have a presence on GDSs.

and the real issue that you can't deny is that about 15% of ALL US west coast to LAS traffic originates in Asia or involves an itinerary that includes Asia.

WN has no presence in Asia.

and you also can't argue that DL has a history of successfully flying point to point routes with RJs, even more so large RJs, competing directly against LCCs like WN while other legacy carriers don't choose to operate those kinds of routes.

So now people buy direct from the majors - now that we have changed story lines and you have changed arguments with yourself - we can now say this route is not being flown due to people wanting tickets through a GDS

Tough one when you undo your own argument

How anyone would not recognize that the legacy carriers have ALWAYS sold tickets directly to consumers is beyond understanding.

Used to it was via res offices; today it is via their websites.

Legacy carriers had a physical presence around the world including in locations that they didn't serve (called GSAs) for years.

To argue that LCCs have an advantage because people can go buy directly from them while failing to realize that legacy airlines have ALWAYS had that PLUS participation in GDSs can only be identified as an argumentative, closed mindset that is rooted in an unwillingness to admit that someone else actually understates the industry and its actions better than some people here

Actually everyone understood that - please read all your posts and please read slowly and carefully the comments you made about the route being established for international travelers flying between said points and needing a solution from a carrier in a GDS

It was your point no one else's

The facts everyone understands is this:

All carriers sell direct
Some carriers use a GDS

Theory suggested

One Arline decides to start routes for international passengers needing to buy tickets through a GDS - as MasterCard would say - priceless