DL Terminates Labor Activist Kip Hedges

eolesen

Veteran
Jul 23, 2003
http://www.twincities.com/business/ci_27069653/longtime-delta-employee-labor-activist-kip-hedges-fired

A longtime Delta Air Lines employee and Twin Cities labor activist, Kip Hedges, was fired this week from his job as a baggage handler after championing a $15 minimum wage for airline workers.

According to multiple postings on social media, Hedges gave an on-camera interview to Workday Minnesota, where he said, "A lot of the Delta workers make under $15 an hour. As a matter of fact, I would say probably close to half make under $15 an hour."

Delta officials told Hedges he was being fired for "disparaging remarks," according to an account on Workday Minnesota. It's unclear how many Delta baggage-claim workers make less than $15 an hour, but some do, while others earn significantly more.

Kev has alluded to it in other posts here. It was discussed on "the other forum" which is typically less labor friendly than this one and ended up being locked.

As with all employee issues, we will never know the full story. I and everyone else should be concerned about what took place.

some sources say he was called in to speak w/ mgmt. 2 years ago.

If Mr. Hedges believes there is a basis for legal action, he should pursue it. I would bet that DL crossed every T before acting.

WorldTraveler said:
As with all employee issues, we will never know the full story. I and everyone else should be concerned about what took place.
You should be concerned.

Yet in the same sentence, you can't help but float the idea that there /must/ be more to the story, implying that he's somehow either a poor worker or of poor character. What if neither is true? What if this was simply a calculated investment made in order to stop a union drive in it's tracks?

some sources say he was called in to speak w/ mgmt. 2 years ago.
That's true. He & another worker were interviewed & quoted in one of the MSP dailies.

And if those same "some sources" tell the whole story, they'll include the part where the company acknowledged that no policies were violated.

If Mr. Hedges believes there is a basis for legal action, he should pursue it.
+1

I would bet that DL crossed every T before acting.
Not hard to do when the At-Will doctrine is in place, and your a company that follows GA. state law...As long as protected class status isn't violated, anything goes.

#IAMStandingWithKip

Reactions: 2 people
As dawg notes, it is hard to get fired from DL. there are really only a couple basic lessons which every DL employee learns real fast - don't steal from DL and don't speak to the media in the name of the company.

It is precisely because of the story in the MSP newspaper that was cited that I mentioned that he was warned before.

Again, I sympathize with anyone who loses their job esp. after a lengthy career - but if he was warned to tone it down including speaking out to the media and he did it anyway, then it should come as no surprise that DL acted.

And at will employment or not does not affect that companies have media policies that they have every right to enforce for union and non-union employees.

Great. Where in the video does he "speak in the name of the company." Better yet, tell us what exactly in his comments you would deem "disparaging" (the term the company used).

You have watched it, right?

What should come as no surprise is that you can't help but defend and/or attempt to rationalize this. That's a shame.

Reactions: 2 people
I'm not rationalizing anything.

I am saying that most DL employees learn these kinds of lessons on day 1 of their employment.

the fact that so few get fired says the vast majority figure out how to work within the system.

that is simply reality. no rationalization at all.

I wish him well.

Reactions: 1 person
I hope he's back on the property soon as well. As a fellow ramper, I'm sure I don't have to tell you he's one of us. He's also one of the good guys. Please support him in any way you can.

Reactions: 3 people
Sure ya are... With a dash of "othering" just for good measure.

But are secretly glad he's off the property, right?
no, Kevin.

I never said it or thought it.

you really can't just objectively participate in discussions here?

Sure I can. And in turn, you can do your part by sharing with us what part of any company policy you feel he violated, and why. 

After watching the video-you have watched it, right?- do you agree or disagree with the idea that his comments w/r/t to pay at DL are "disparaging?" Why or why not?

When you say you "wish him well" does that include supporting his return to active service at DL? Why or why not?

#IAMStandingWithKip

I'm not the judge, Kevin. I don't know what happened other than what has been reported in the media, which I presume has been accurate in this situation - but I have no way of knowing that to be true.

and since you don't have access to his P file, you really don't know any more accurately what took place than I did.

yes, I would support his return to active service. But that is also not my decision.