DL Terminates Labor Activist Kip Hedges

You know what specific video the company cited in his termination. You have watched it, right?

You know (or know where to access) any & all applicable company policies.

You know (or know where to access) ACS pay scales.

You absolutely could weigh in based on all of the above. I'm sure you could even craft a post with the context of only "knowing what you know," but are choosing not to?

Why?

Reactions: 3 people
what's your point, Kevin?

in one post you tell me to shut up and leave posts to others and now are upset that I am not passing judgment because neitehr I or you know the whole story?

the difference is that I know I don't know. you don't.

You felt the need to weigh in, so why stop?

Why not just answer based on what you know?

Oh, and every time you imply that there simply must be more to the story, you are indeed passing judgement, even if only tacitly...

no, I have actually managed people. I KNOW there is more to the story.

after 20 years, an employee's personnel file cannot be represented by a single story in the newspaper.

not yours, not mine, not Kip's.

WorldTraveler said:

after 20 years, an employee's personnel file cannot be represented by a single story in the newspaper.

not yours, not mine, not Kip's.

Oh. So now you "KNOW" there is more to the story, but you're not passing judgement.

Okay, then...

Reactions: 2 people
WorldTraveler said:
I'm not rationalizing anything.

I am saying that most DL employees learn these kinds of lessons on day 1 of their employment.

the fact that so few get fired says the vast majority figure out how to work within the system.

that is simply reality. no rationalization at all.

I wish him well.
 but you kind of are. Just because it doesn't happen a lot doesn't mean Delta is in the right here. 

I don't know which is why I am not going to comment on it...... I think you should do the same. 

Kev3188 said:
Sure I can. And in turn, you can do your part by sharing with us what part of any company policy you feel he violated, and why. 

After watching the video-you have watched it, right?- do you agree or disagree with the idea that his comments w/r/t to pay at DL are "disparaging?" Why or why not?

When you say you "wish him well" does that include supporting his return to active service at DL? Why or why not?

#IAMStandingWithKip

I'd love to see this.........

WorldTraveler said:
I'm not answering them, Kevin.

I don't know all of the facts and neither do you.
You do a fine job of acting like you do. 

WorldTraveler said:
If you KNOW then should be able to SHARE

And how would he know?

He took the money from DL and ran almost ten years ago.

And if he was told anything by anyone at DL Kip has a huge lawsuit if that would occur.

But alas, we all know he made it up once again.

If any of you ever actually managed people in any company, you would know what appears in a newspaper article - of one form or another - does not come close to reflecting what exists in a personnel file - good or bad,

and you can bet that if a case goes to court, documents in that personnel file - which the employee signed - would absolutely be introduced.

as much as you all want to believe otherwise, DL made certain ANY employee was aware of what DL expected from them regarding a particular issue, signed something acknowledging that they had been reminded again of DL's expectations, and were terminated ONLY after they refused to do what DL had asked.

doesn't matter what the issue is ... that is what any company does that wants to keep from being sued every time it takes employee action.

I don't have to know all of the details to know that is the way it works not just at DL but at any company that chooses to hold its employees to some level of standard.

It's nice that you think no one here has ever managed people. What do you think a Crew Chief does, anyway?

Still would like to see a little less judging and a little more answering, though. I have to assume it's out of a concern that you think you may run afoul of the company yourself.

Nevertheless,Here's the list again:

" And in turn, you can do your part by sharing with us what part of any company policy you feel he violated, and why. 

After watching the video-you have watched it, right?- do you agree or disagree with the idea that his comments w/r/t to pay at DL are "disparaging?" Why or why not?

When you say you "wish him well" does that include supporting his return to active service at DL? Why or why not?"

if as a crew chief you are responsible for hiring and firing and performance evaluations, then you would understand what I am saying.

I am guessing that you have been involved in some but not all of those tasks.

given that I would strongly bet that the decision to terminate any employee that has been involved in a high profile activity such as this employee was, there are factors that involve not just his crew chief (or whoever his first level supervision might be) but all the way up to executive mgmt.

I don't want to see anyone lose their job, Kevin, for any reason.

but companies do have the right to enforce their rules... and being union or non-union doesn't change that.

as I said before but you apparently want to push, I'm not making a judgment beyond the facts that were presented in the media - which incidentally you are free to challenge as being inaccurate if you believe they are... that he worked for DL in MSP, was a former NW employee, had been involved in union organizing activities including having spoken to the media, and that he had been invited to speak to DL mgmt. in the past.

I'm sorry the incident has taken place but DL does have rules and they do have the right to enforce them.

If the employee believes he was wrongly terminated, he should pursue legal recourse.

its quite possible dl terminated him and did so violating the fact he was using his freedom of speech  he simply implied that more than half the folks working at msp don't make 15 an hr      dl fired him  for no reason as I see it     he got one hell of a lawsuit  esp with the right lawyers..  against dl   

robbed,
there is no freedom of speech clause in the workplace. FWAAA has written about it before.
Companies of all types have the right to dictate the terms of conduct of their employees and monitor their performance and activities.

again, if there is a case for a lawsuit, I support him doing so.

I don't know enough to know if DL was justified or if I support DL.

I support the reality that companies do have to fire employees.

I do not know if what DL did was correct or not.

with employee-related disciplinary issues, it is very rare that the case is as clear to the public as it would be if the case went to court. Companies simply cannot talk about employee discipline without violating those employees' right to privacy.

I do wish it had not happened and wish esp. Mr. Hedges the very best as he takes the next step in his life.

We know WT supports DL's right to terminate people as they see fit, which is why he's going to such great lengths to tap dance around his answers.

If the guy was disparaging DL, he had to be spreading false/untrue information.

If indeed there are a good number of people earning less than $15, all he did was quantify a fact.

When you compare this to the F bomb laden video from the fired AA mechanic last year, the interview Kip gave on a video blog is pretty benign.

DL overreached here. They took out a union organizer, and that should be the claim, not freedom of speech (which as already noted doesn't protect anyone in an employer/employee relationship).

Latest posts