DL Terminates Labor Activist Kip Hedges

You are the only one posting there is more to the story.
Maybe the IAM and Kip will call you to testify since you claim there is more to the story.

And if you learned to comprehend, the legal process is already in the works.
again, I am sure DL knew there was a high chance of a lawsuit. if Mr. Hedges is in the right, DL should pay for it.. not sure what the LEGAL remedy might be.

but if DL was in the right - a concept that you can't conceive could exist but which absolutely is a possibility - then Mr. Hedges gave up his job.

and, yes, the rest of the story which neither you or I know will be told in a court if it comes to it.

for you to not believe there is more than what is in a newspaper article is really quite frightening.

He was talking about Ground Personal at MSP, including the vendors DL uses.
and if he included wages of vendors, that might well be the problem.

A union at DL cannot represent DL's vendors.

Exactly.

At will is a great thing for the employer, but easily abused.

This is an example of DL crossing the line and giving people something to consider when deciding on whether or not they should sign the union card or not.

DL would have been better served to have responded with facts instead of firing someone.

Having power and knowing when to use it wisely seems to be mutually exclusive at DL.

If AA had done this, you'd probably be up in arms about how Doug was a heartless bastard.

Instead, you're tap dancing faster than Larry Craig.

Reactions: 1 person
700UW said:
The IAM and other unions do have some aircraft servicing companies that they reprent.
but not from different employers.

you can't negotiate a labor agreement with two employers.

and I have not defended DL's actions anywhere regarding this decision.

I have repeatedly said they made their decision based on information they have made. I didn't make the decision and I neither condemn or support what they did.

for someone who is worried about how much I post, you, E, you seem clueless to the reality that if you put my name in a post and make false statements, I will respond.

Here is a way to help Kip:

Kip Hedges Workers Defense Fund
Wings Financial Credit Union
Account #1269746.

We can stop at any Wings Financial Credit Union to make a donation. If you do not live near a Wings Financial Credit Union, you can mail a donation to:
14985 Glazier Ave.
Apple Valley, MN 55124

Make sure you include the name: Kip Hedges Workers Defense Fund. Account #126974

10354804_842605769123436_5775142094383986199_n.jpg

Reactions: 4 people
Hedges said he can't think of any reason why Delta would fire him for his performance or conduct.
"You would be hard-pressed to find a single one of my coworkers on the ramp or a supervisor that wouldn't want to work with me," he said. "I really pride myself on my work ethic and my conduct."
Instead, Hedges believes his role in helping to unionize airport workers is the real reason Delta wanted him out.
"Maybe they think that firing a prominent advocate for the union would chill the movement to organize," he said.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/12/11/news/delta-fired-worker/index.html

Reactions: 2 people
WorldTraveler said:
again, I am sure DL knew there was a high chance of a lawsuit. if Mr. Hedges is in the right, DL should pay for it.. not sure what the LEGAL remedy might be.

but if DL was in the right - a concept that you can't conceive could exist but which absolutely is a possibility - then Mr. Hedges gave up his job.

and, yes, the rest of the story which neither you or I know will be told in a court if it comes to it.

for you to not believe there is more than what is in a newspaper article is really quite frightening.

and if he included wages of vendors, that might well be the problem.

A union at DL cannot represent DL's vendors.
that is not completely true. 

While, yes the IAM could not represent a vendor employee under the same CBA as Delta, The Delta scope would also limit the outsourcing Delta can do. That would then have a limit on vendor employees. (which would could then cause the 50% number to go up and down) 

So an indirect effect. 

Having said that a CBA would have a direct effect on things such as the RR program and their pay. Again could cause the 50% to go up or down.....  

the comment as stated is about the salary levels for contract employees. A DL CBA cannot affect that.

you are right that a CBA could limit the number of part-time/RR employees... but let's also keep in mind that AA and UA have both eliminated hundreds if not thousands of positions in dozens of cities because they have outsourced. WN is also pushing heavily for domestic airport outsourcing and it is a given that most if not all foreign destinations which WN opens - and that is where their growth is focused - will involve contract employees.

DL has taken the approach as keeping this work for DL employees, even if it is on an RR basis.

to say that unionized carriers are keeping full-time, benefitted jobs in the same number or percentage of cities that DL is doing is simply false.

Wait a minute. Let me get something straight here. I'm "Ready Reserve" on call at the whim of this particular employer. I make a max rate of $14.00 per hour and maybe they give me 4 hours of work per day that equals $14,560 per year, with NO medical benefits and I should be happy that I get to walk into my local supermarket (To buy my Ramen Noodles) wearing my DELTA airlines hat? I guess I should be happy to say that I don't work for one of those subcontracting companies who's workers get paid the same rate as me anyway? I'm proud that the company I work for get's to cut out the middle man. Better that my wonderful company get's to keep the money that they would have to pay the subcontracting company for my service huh? I'm also quite happy that my work get's to subsidize the rate that people who are not in my situation are able to collect off my sweat. Yes I'm going to proudly place that DELTA Airlines hat on my mantle every night when I get home from work.

Talk about ridiculous.

Delta management made a HUGE mistake by firing this man. Nothing propels a movement for justice more than a Martyr.

Reactions: 2 people
eolesen said:
Time to deflect into outsourcing formulas, eh?
since the discussion is about what was said about the percentage of DL employees who make a particular salary, no it is not deflection.

the only deflection is to note the number of employees who have had to move or give up their job at AA or UA where unions have allowed far more outsourcing in small/medium sized cities.

WeAAsles said:
Wait a minute. Let me get something straight here. I'm "Ready Reserve" on call at the whim of this particular employer. I make a max rate of $14.00 per hour and maybe they give me 4 hours of work per day that equals $14,560 per year, with NO medical benefits and I should be happy that I get to walk into my local supermarket (To buy my Ramen Noodles) wearing my DELTA airlines hat? I guess I should be happy to say that I don't work for one of those subcontracting companies who's workers get paid the same rate as me anyway? I'm proud that the company I work for get's to cut out the middle man. Better that my wonderful company get's to keep the money that they would have to pay the subcontracting company for my service huh? I'm also quite happy that my work get's to subsidize the rate that people who are not in my situation are able to collect off my sweat. Yes I'm going to proudly place that DELTA Airlines hat on my mantle every night when I get home from work.

Talk about ridiculous.

Delta management made a HUGE mistake by firing this man. Nothing propels a movement for justice more than a Martyr.
no. because you didn't take the job.

others did. It is up to them to decide if it is worth it or not.

Just got this as an email on my FB account.

Hi David, as a NWA retiree, this whole situation with Kip Hedges is heartbreaking. You are so right about contacting "The Ed Show". I almost sent them an email last night with these articles and the letter that a new hire received, BUT, as you said, people are so afraid to speak out for fear of losing their job. I don't even work there any longer and I'm afraid to put anything in a public forum. I am sending in a donation to help with Kip's legal fund. Hoping this injustice reaches "The Ed Show". Thank you, David for having the courage to speak out.

And this was my response:

I have courage because I DO NOT work for Delta. I work for AA and am supremely proud to be a Union member of the TWU. Because of that I have the ability to speak out and it angers me that people who do the same job as me don't have the same ability.
I want to help change that.

Reactions: 1 person