DL to redevelop its terminals as part of LGA CTB redevelopment

WorldTraveler

Corn Field
Dec 5, 2003
Ed Bastian, President of Delta Air Lines, said, Delta commends Governor Cuomo on his airport reconstruction plan, which will transform not only the New York City travel experience but also the landscape of the city itself. Delta has invested more than $2 billion in infrastructure upgrades and passenger enhancements at our hubs at LaGuardia and JFK, and the initiatives announced today are aligned with our ongoing commitment to providing an exceptional experience for anyone traveling through New York for business or pleasure. We look forward to working in partnership with the governors design commission on a comprehensive and complementary redevelopment plan that realizes our mutual goals and benefits all New York passengers.

Richard Anderson, President of the New York Building Congress, said, For New York to maintain its global prominence and success, our leaders must be willing to make major investments in the infrastructure that underpins our economy. The Governors plan to reinvent LaGuardia Airport for the next century does just that. While others around the country are struggling to cope with our nations growing infrastructure needs, Governor Cuomos vision for a new LaGuardia shows that New York can rise to the challenge.​

http://www.governor.ny.gov/news/governor-cuomo-unveils-vision-transformative-redesign-laguardia-airport

suppose removing the perimeter restriction is part of DL's willingness to support the project?

The Whole Truth:

http://nypost.com/2015/07/27/la-guardia-airport-to-get-complete-rebuild-for-4b/

Among the highlights:
  •  A new, unified terminal that will be 600 feet closer to the Grand Central Parkway, providing 240 percent more space to runways and flight operations.
  • High-speed ferry service that will have boats docking at the existing Marine Terminal.
  •  Passenger access to their gates via raised pedestrian bridges, high enough for aircraft to taxi underneath.
  • A state-of-the-art, post 9/11 security system that will be three times as large as the current operation, slashing wait times.
  • Nearby roads re-configured to improve access for passengers and reduce traffic.
  • A new Central Hall with increased space for high-end amenities including retail shops and a 200-room boutique hotel.
  • An increase in passengers from roughly 27 million in 2014 to 35 million when it’s finished.
  • Creation of 8,000 construction jobs and 18,000 permanent jobs both at the airport and in businesses that service the airport. “Middle class jobs. Jobs you can raise a family on,” Biden said.
The stunning new airport will be paid for by a private-public partnership, with the Port Authority kicking in roughly 50 percent.

Reactions: 4 people
the most innovative part of the project is moving the terminals further from the runways.

I'd still like to see the transition plan to make it all happen.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/governorandrewcuomo/sets/72157654099192464

http://www.governor.ny.gov/news/governor-cuomo-unveils-vision-transformative-redesign-laguardia-airport
And they should actually gain ramp space. The new terminal is being built over the parking lots that sit between LGA and the Grand Central Parkway. Compare the renderings to the current layout.

AirsideAerial.jpg

Reactions: 2 people
700UW said:
The Whole Truth:

The stunning new airport will be paid for by a private-public partnership, with the Port Authority kicking in roughly 50 percent.

I wonder if they will be able to start and finish the project in the timelines suggested?

It's a great move by NY and glad DL is participating

Wonder what if anything will be done with the Marine terminal

jcw said:

I would bet that DL is agreeing to move out of the MAT both as part of the transition/building process and for the long-term.

I still would bet that lifting the perimeter is even more of a done deal.

DL isn't going to spend that kind of money on redeveloping its terminals if it can't push alot more high value passengers thru LGA.

They are redoing the MAT also, there is no deal to lift the perimeter and flights will be cut during construction, and who will be effected the most by flight cuts?

DL isnt paying for it all, 50% public funds and 50% private funds, the funding hasnt been broken down yet.

They arent going to be able to add a bunch of flights, they are just redoing the terminal, not the air space above.

Reactions: 3 people
Thanks for your predictions. As always everything said here is subject to verification

jcw said:

pretty sure 

FrugalFlyerv2.0 said:

I wonder if they will be able to start and finish the project in the timelines suggested?
PANYNJ doesn't know what timeline are. Look at how late and over budget WTC is. 

Kev3188 said:
Same here. Can't say I'd want to be anywhere near there while the project's underway, though...
nope. 

Of course i don't want to be anywhere near NYC airports on a good day. 

NYC is running just fine today which happens half or more of the time

Yeah I know

And I'm not sure that DL will get the same percentage of funding as the CTB or that DL's terminals will be operated as part of the s same ownership arrangement

It doesn't appear to be as clearly spelled out for DL as for the CTB