DL to start ORD-LHR

SLC is in the western US so travel distances are greater and also has a very globally connected community....

the bottom line is those that make assessments of how well an airline does at a city based solely on the number of flights are usually wrong.

SLC is a larger hub than either US or WN have at PHX in terms of local revenue and only about 20% smaller than AA at ORD.

Thats intersting that DL would take in more $$$ at DTW than say AA would at MIA considering DTW is rougly 75% the size of MIA (# of passengrers). Can you post the revenue numbers for DL at DTW and AA at MIA?

and it goes to show that the notions that DL is at a disadvantage at its hubs is flat out wrong.

I'll pull the data again but DL's DTW hub (and MSP is about the same size in local revenue) is about 40% larger than AA at MIA. And yes I am including int'l and domestic revenue. DTW and MSP are about 60% of the size of ATL in local revenue. ATL, DFW, and EWR are some of the largest hubs in the US both in terms of local revenue and revenue that flows thru it.

The fact that SLC for DL is about the same size as CLT in terms of local revenue for US shows how heavily overhubbed CLT is.

Sure it makes money but a huge percentage of what makes CLT works is connecting traffic - and lots of it.

Further, the city of Detroit may be in financial hard times but the region's economy is still strong including the US auto industry which has come back even if it is smaller.

737823 said:
Mooresville is part of the greater Charlotte area, just north of Charlotte. If you live in CLT you should know that, I mean heck even I know that having only visited a few times. Your post isn't well written but you are suggesting it is near South Carolina.

So what, you could say the same of about any metropolitan area.

Pretty sure you have quoted that very same source before.

Josh
I suggest you take some geography lessons CLT is very close to the border of SC.

As a matter of fact, if you come into CLT from the South you fly over Carowinds Amusement park, which is in both NC and SC.

Many US employees live in SC.

Dont let the facts get in your way.

Lying again or just plain stupid?

My information is from the latest from the CLT Chamber of Commerce.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=maps&ie=UTF-8&ei=q9w5U5WKPKL4yQHVlIDYDg&sqi=2&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

64753-004-E7E6B650.gif

Reactions: 1 person
700UW said:
I suggest you take some geography lessons CLT is very close to the border of SC.

As a matter of fact, if you come into CLT from the South you fly over Carowinds Amusement park, which is in both NC and SC.

Many US employees live in SC.

Dont let the facts get in your way.

Lying again or just plain stupid?

My information is from the latest from the CLT Chamber of Commerce.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=maps&ie=UTF-8&ei=q9w5U5WKPKL4yQHVlIDYDg&sqi=2&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

64753-004-E7E6B650.gif
Mooresville is north of Charlotte, not south.

Josh

Reactions: 2 people
CLT makes money for US. We'll see if that is the case for AA.
and it is also worth noting that Parker's business strategy for success at US WRT revenue (not talking about employee salaries relative to peers) is for US to focus on markets where it can dominate the local market, just as DL does in all of its major hubs. that is also why PHX has frequently been mentioned as a possible market to downsize since US does not have a majority revenue share in that market.

Reactions: 2 people
I misread your original post.

But CLT is central to the Lake Norman area which is made up of Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson, Mooresville and Troutman.

I think I should know I have lived in the Lake Norman area for about 20 years now.

737823 said:
There will be changes at CLT with the merger, international flying has been moved to MIA.

Josh
I doubt that.

US isnt moving LHR, CDG, FRA, MAD, LIS, MAN and the rest of the European flights to MIA.

Yep people want to fly to MIA and then Europe, NOT!

The only route is Rio that is being moved, San Paulo is staying.

CLT to Europe does very well.

As does the Caribbean flights.

But we all forgot, you are an Airline Expert in Maintenance, Routing, Operations, Labor Relations, Planning and Marketing.

PS. Dont give up your day job.

The biggest risk is the routes that are heavily dependent on Star feed.

Congrats to US and TAM on the big switch today.

CLT will not fulfill the same role in the combined network as it has for standalone US Airways. Look you and everyone has been saying what a great thing this useless merger will be, once the honeymoon is over everyone will see. There's no going back at this point, it's done and over.

Josh