DL to start ORD-LHR

Josh,
Parker has built CLT into the best alternative to ATL that exists.... they do a pretty good job all things considered.

CLT is not duplicated by anything in AA's network. It is a win for AA and a loss to UA who loses a SE hub even if on a codeshare basis.

There are some Latin/Caribbean flow traffic that is duplicated by MIA and some European feed that could go over other AA hubs but much of CLT is gained to the AA network.

CLT will probably be one of the most stable hubs in the new AA, even if it doesn't grow.... CLT's biggest need is to replace small RJs with larger ones in order to improve economics but CLT is a viable hub.

Lufthansa is going to end their MUC-CLT service now that there is no Star feed. You can count on it.
Probably their Frankfurt service, too.

700UW said:
I doubt that.

US isnt moving LHR, CDG, FRA, MAD, LIS, MAN and the rest of the European flights to MIA.

Yep people want to fly to MIA and then Europe, NOT!

The only route is Rio that is being moved, San Paulo is staying.

CLT to Europe does very well.

As does the Caribbean flights.

But we all forgot, you are an Airline Expert in Maintenance, Routing, Operations, Labor Relations, Planning and Marketing.

PS. Dont give up your day job.

CLT - LHR likely stays.  CLT-MAD possibly too.
The other EU destinations - who knows?  CDG should be at least seasonal.  IMHO

AdAstraPerAspera said:
Lufthansa is going to end their MUC-CLT service now that there is no Star feed. You can count on it.
Probably their Frankfurt service, too.

Maybe, but I think BMW has a plant in Spartanburg (~70 miles from CLT??) which may mean that LH keeps one of either MUC of FRA.

very close to GSP... just drove past it yesterday.

LH has maintained ATL-FRA for years against DL who has 4 flights ATL-Germany.

Still, ATL is a larger market and DL uses smaller aircraft. I still have doubts that LH can maintain both flights, possibly even one... but they might be trying to outlast AA/US in the market at this point.

LH doesn't serve FRA, only MUC on 333/343/346 depending on the season. Interestingly enough they do use a three-cabin (with F) aircraft, although I believe the the two-cabin 343s are only based in FRA, I imagine that is the only reason they offer F to CLT. LH F sells to markets like MIA, RUH, and SIN I doubt CLT is a high performer, especially judging by the amount of award availability.

Josh

I started the topic and it is ok w/ me if they add to it... I am glad the topic is big enough to discuss all kinds of int'l route issues.

As for CLT-FRA, if LH doesn't do it, it will get dropped.... it possibly could be sustained by AA post merger but AA doesn't have a great track record in Germany.

The plant is just before GSP and they are starting a $1 Billion expansion of the plant and adding several new vehicles there to build.

CLT-MUC is a very good performer for LH, they have a few business contracts on the flight.

US was able to run LH out of CLT on the CLT-FRA route and BA on the LGW flights also.

I worked International all the time.

WorldTraveler said:
I started the topic and it is ok w/ me if they add to it...
Of course you are willing to take it off topic -- that spares you the inconvenience of having to stand by all the statements you made on how great DL was going to do on ORD-LHR market, despite others saying it would be a disaster.

inconvenient.png

Reactions: 3 people
700UW said:
The plant is just before GSP and they are starting a $1 Billion expansion of the plant and adding several new vehicles there to build.

CLT-MUC is a very good performer for LH, they have a few business contracts on the flight.

US was able to run LH out of CLT on the CLT-FRA route and BA on the LGW flights also.

I worked International all the time.

Sure US did, when CLT was a Star Alliance hub. It's not anymore. I'm not saying that CLT can't support TATL flying, but it will probably be BA or AA to LHR, AA to FRA, etc... And if CLT-MUC lives on, it won't be on LH, I bet you that

ahh come on, E.

Think you can find a place where I said DL would do "great" on ORD-LHR or perhaps the truth would instead be that I said that it is a key global business market that DL and VS of which DL could gain a part?

The inconvenient truth for AA and UA is that DL apparently not content to have become the #1 airline in NYC based on local passenger share and has sailed past AA at both LGA and JFK over the past years - and now has AA and UA in its sights at LAX and isn't even afraid to give ORD a whirl when the right ingredients come together.

What you and Ad can't seem to grasp (yes, I did) is that DL does a far better job than its peers in controlling its own hubs/focus cities (kinda like what WN is trying to do with DAL but by blocking instead of winning against competitors- they have apparently learned from DL whose hub building goes back before WN was a twinkle in Herb's eye).

When you control your own markets, it becomes a whole lot easier to go after other carriers' strength markets.

DL isn't thru with new service at ORD. I can assure you that.

Oh, so a discussion about ORD-LHR was just a convenient place for you to go off on a 90^ tangent and start talking about the weakness of other hubs to generate international feed?...

Please. We've all learned how to read between the lines of what you write.

Admit it, you knew route was a dog. Apparently, DL HDQ's admitted it.

Reactions: 4 people
so you didn't find the quote about DL's greatness on ORD?

Can you tell us from what Delta hubs we can expect AA to start long haul int'l service?

I said it was a developmental route. Want to go back and find those words? Development requires finding the right contracts to support it. Those are not in hand yet.

DL is not thru with ORD. Given that UA is widening its historic lead over AA at ORD, sledding will be rough for AA at ORD for the foreseeable future.

Reactions: 1 person
Sure, deflect to make it all about AA.

This is the Delta forum... Just in case you were confused as to how discussion forums work, here's a helpful Quick Reference Card for you:

forumTopic.png

Reactions: 7 people