DL to suspend SEA-HND Flights

Status
Not open for further replies.
WorldTraveler said:
you and others can focus on insignificance if it makes you feel better.

seriously how much nit picky stuff do you bring up over, and over, and over, and over again

yet they are facts.

If you or others focused on the facts instead of attacking people who provide facts you don't want to hear, then these threads wouldn't last for more than a day or two.

In the case of SEA-HND, it is clear that the problem is the slot times that HND flights have to use. No other mainland flights outside of LAX or SFO to HND have been operated on a consistent daily basis.

No other carrier is providing any new gateways for HND flights. AA simply wants to move into the same gateway where 1 US and 1 Japanese carrier already operate.

The DOT needs to decide whether it is more valuable to have another carrier enter that market or allow DL to operate SEA-HND on a less than daily basis if that is all the market can economically support.

or they can provide more HND access to beach markets - in which case the value of what the US gave Japanese carriers with JVs needs to be questioned.

eolesen said:
The culture of this board is just fine, with a few notable exceptions.

There are countless issues where Kevin, Glenn, Dawg, FWAAA, Ad, and dozens of others and I will be diametrically opposed.

The difference is that there's some respect shown on both sides of those conversations. You don't see most people here belittle the other person's qualifications, lack of experience, lack of proof/citations, or even spelling errors.

In the old days, we used to have these types of conversations at the bar down the road from the employee parking lot. You'd see a regular crowd of supervisors, agents, bag handlers, mechanics, and a few managers as well. What was said at the bar stayed at the bar. Thank God that was before the days of political correctness...

If you took the attitude there than you do here, you would have had your ass kicked inside out, and you'd have never found a seat at the bar ever again.

Here, at least with the hands-off moderating style that's persisted since Kevin left, that's clearly not possible,

Since you hide behind the cloak of anonymity and have the worst case of internet courage I've ever encountered, your ass kickings simply have taken on a different form.
Nailed it.

...And for a long time, this site was that bar.

The sooner it gets back to that, the better.

Reactions: 4 people
eolesen said:
You don't see most people here belittle the other person's qualifications, lack of experience, lack of proof/citations, or even spelling errors.
Don't forget the classless, below-the-belt remarks about our personal lives. I'm still steamed about that.

oh, I haven't forgotten.... any more than I have forgotten about the unchecked, unmoderated, repeated comments that have been invasions of my privacy that should have landed people in a long winter visit to the cornfield but have not.

the vast majority of people on this forum participate on this forum anonymously and the rules of the forum specifically protect the desires and rights of those people do participate on that level.

You can't walk into a bar anonymously in this age of endless cameras.

to equate an online forum with what happens in a local bar highlights the disconnect from reality that some have.

and more importantly, there are norms about what people say to each other in public compared to what is said online. The online comments that are said online about one's employer would never be said in their presence. To argue that some people should conduct themselves in one manner while some people specifically participate to be able to say things they would never say using their own names is disconnection if there ever was any.

I'm glad the significant and major difference in perspective that clearly exists about this board has become apparent.

the sooner there is a meeting of the minds about what this board is all about, the better.

I have made the assumption that you don't want what you say here to show up with your name on the desks of your bosses in ATL? is that true or not?

if it is true, then why should you think that airline forums is the same thing as a neighborhood bar?

if it is not true that you don't want to protect your own privacy, then will you start signing your name to your posts?

you can't have it both ways, Kev.

Either it is an anonymous internet chat forum with all of the rights and privileges that come with that format or it is not and your anonymity is no more protected than mine.

which do you want?

WorldTraveler said:
I have made the assumption that you don't want what you say here to show up with your name on the desks of your bosses in ATL? is that true or not?
Oh good. More veiled threats against my career. Fun. 

Some of it already has made it's way there. But you wouldn't know anything about that, right?

At any rate, read this again.

eolesen said:
There are countless issues where Kevin, Glenn, Dawg, FWAAA, Ad, and dozens of others and I will be diametrically opposed.

The difference is that there's some respect shown on both sides of those conversations. You don't see most people here belittle the other person's qualifications, lack of experience, lack of proof/citations, or even spelling errors.

In the old days, we used to have these types of conversations at the bar down the road from the employee parking lot.
It's not an anonymity issue. It's a respect issue. I was hoping you'd get that, but guess I shouldn't be surprised you didn't.

People don't come here to be talked at; they come here to talk (or commiserate) with each other. Can't speak for anyone else, but for me, that's what made this place much more appealing than other sites like A.Net.

It'd be nice to see that return.That you don't like that doesn't mean it'll change. You can either accept it or not.  But standing at a cyber-dais telling everyone they can't possibly "grasp" something isn't gonna get you very far.

And before you retort about attacks against you, keep in mind for most people you need to give it in order to earn it. Frankly, at this point, you could probably put up a post wishing everyone a Merry Christmas, and it'd be at -5 before sun up. You're that far gone. That's just how it is.

So yeah, like the proverbial bar. I'm hoping it returns.

Gotta go watch soccer with my kid; that's what this "labor loser" likes to do. 

Have fun.

Reactions: 8 people
no, if I was threatening your career I would not have said that I will abide by the same standards for you that I expect of myself.

and respect cuts both ways. You and your fraternity of like-minded people on live by the same sanitized view of reality whether it is about labor relations or finances.

If you want no one to remind you that you have been asked multiple times to provide evidence of when you stopped pushing a union agenda to give DL a chance, then go to a bar.

In the absence of any kind of personal relationship in a bar, you shouldn't be surprised that I am going to ask you the same thing that others have asked of me - to back up my statements with facts.

The simple fact is that many of the AA fan club have objected to what I have written for years because it has contained one litany after another about how AA has missed major revenue opportunities or faces major competitive threats.

the fact that AA has had a great year financially seems to hide the reality that many of those competitive threats are now coming to fruition - Latin America, DFW, Asia overcapacity etc.

you are not a personal loser, Kevin. I respect a great deal about who you are - and that can apply to many people here.

but that doesn't mean that I am going to overlook the ideological differences we have.

you did come to DL with the expectation that you would transform DL into the image of NW and you really never gave DL a chance. The loss has been in trying to advance your labor agenda without understanding that the majority of your colleagues aren't interested in the same changes you are.

Enjoy time with your son. I have no doubt that you are a great dad.

I have family commitments tonite as well.

Reactions: 1 person
Kev3188 said:
Oh good. More veiled threats against my career. Fun. 
Some of it already has made it's way there. But you wouldn't know anything about that, right?
At any rate, read this again.

It's not an anonymity issue. It's a respect issue. I was hoping you'd get that, but guess I shouldn't be surprised you didn't.
People don't come here to be talked at; they come here to talk (or commiserate) with each other. Can't speak for anyone else, but for me, that's what made this place much more appealing than other sites like A.Net.
It'd be nice to see that return.That you don't like that doesn't mean it'll change. You can either accept it or not.  But standing at a cyber-dais telling everyone they can't possibly "grasp" something isn't gonna get you very far.
And before you retort about attacks against you, keep in mind for most people you need to give it in order to earn it. Frankly, at this point, you could probably put up a post wishing everyone a Merry Christmas, and it'd be at -5 before sun up. You're that far gone. That's just how it is.

So yeah, like the proverbial bar. I'm hoping it returns.

Gotta go watch soccer with my kid; that's what this "labor loser" likes to do. 

Have fun.
Good luck.

View attachment 10536

Reactions: 2 people
Just to note that commiserating doesn't logically involve talking about major strategic issues like LAX and Pacific issues which get lots of interest in multiple threads.
I get the interest some have but when a number of discussions involve strategic issues then there are clearly different interests in what the forum is for.

that said I will try to respect your interests and desires and trust you will recognize mine as well as those of others

actually not - your just on here running posts up saying nothing - it's like a constant mileage run (oh that's right) you can't do a mileage run on DL anymore!

Reactions: 2 people
for someone that is so worried about what someone else is doing, you seem mighty unaware of what you do.

The topic is SEA-HND or something remotely related to Asia-Pacific services.

Yep, and since the responses won't be acted on for another three weeks, it's pretty clear there ain't gonna be much to talk about that hasn't already been said.

Status
Not open for further replies.