DL to suspend SEA-HND Flights

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure what top schools have to do with state education other than some people's attempts to try to argue that one city is better than another - and argue that translates into the aviation arena.

It doesn't translate into anything.

there are ample statistics about aviation and how well airlines generate revenue at a pretty specific level.

there is no need to throw in ancillary information like the price of gasoline or metro tickets or the tax base into an aviation discussion.. the aviation market is already influenced by all of those things, including higher education.

eolesen said:
Being in the top 25 in the US doesn't make for a world class institution. Being in the top 10? Maybe.
I disagree with this 

but also agree with this. 

Being a top school, to me, is in the top 50 or so. More importantly most of the rankings are horse crap and use all kinds of metrics that mean nothing. Example, USN uses prices as part of its ranking, what does that have to do with education? nothing. 
More importantly are stats like freshman GPA and SAT scores I know Tech and UGA are both in the 4,0 avg for GPA. (can't remember SAT off the top of my head) I have seen rankings that have Tech, yes Tech, as the best school in the country. So I think comparing rankings of Universities is stupid. I went after program rankings. My Masters for example, is a top 20 program in the US. My BBA is also I think top 20 or 25. 

but LDV said that Cal at Berkeley is a top school. Guess what ranking it is? 20th. Emory is 21st but its a **** school. 

The real issue here is like i said, bias. Something tells me if AA had a hub in Atlanta he wouldn't say stupid things like Atlanta isn't a leader in sports (but Miami is......? lol) or doesn't have any top Universities. 

Like I said, You and Com are clearly not the biggest Delta fans in the world but you guys don't say a bunch of stupid things trying to make them stick. WT and LDV are simply pissing contest chasers. Logic, facts and truth mean nothing as long as Delta wins or American wins. both have way, way, way to much free time. They fit in much better on places like anet and flyertalk than here, IMHO

no, comm and LDV are looking at statistics like educational rankings to try to argue for the superiority of AA hubs... if the hubs were so great and AA's strategies in them are so great, then their execs wouldn't be making statements that they "underestimated" the impact of competition on AA's yields.

for the umpteenth time just this year whether people want to believe it or not, the reason why DL has the revenue premium that it has is because DL does the best job of any legacy carrier and similar to WN in terms of controlling revenue across its network.

All of the best hubs in the world mean nothing if a carrier lives behind artificial barriers to entry that eventually will fall (or have fallen) or by being unable to compete successfully against any carrier that comes along.

WorldTraveler said:
no, comm and LDV are looking at statistics like educational rankings to try to argue for the superiority of AA hubs... if the hubs were so great and AA's strategies in them are so great, then their execs wouldn't be making statements that they "underestimated" the impact of competition on AA's yields.

for the umpteenth time just this year whether people want to believe it or not, the reason why DL has the revenue premium that it has is because DL does the best job of any legacy carrier and similar to WN in terms of controlling revenue across its network.

All of the best hubs in the world mean nothing if a carrier lives behind artificial barriers to entry that eventually will fall (or have fallen) or by being unable to compete successfully against any carrier that comes along.
I don't believe I have ever seen com post like LDV does. 

Does com have a bias? sure Does he become an idiot about it? Nope. I have big respect for E, FWA and Com. 

Reactions: 3 people
topDawg said:
 I don't believe I said anything about LAWA building T9 for Delta. I said that, at point point, LAWA did have plans for a T9. It is completely possible they could go back to that. 

Its also completely possible they will just expand TBIT till they reach the ocean before they look at a T9 or a T0 for that matter. 

[...] Amazing, A Georgia grad with three degrees is having to explain to someone(who I guess can't figure out Google) how good of a school Tech and Emory are. 

You claimed that LAWA would have to make deal with Delta to build a Terminal 9.  You even indicated the deal would include gates.  This is wrong.  There are no current plans for a T9.  Delta ceded the master leases on T5 and all its other facilities at LAX to LAWA.  

As to the rest, I stand by my claim that Emory and GTech are not world-class.  Here are my credentials for making that claim.  A Yale grad (Literature) with a Ph.D. in Modern Thought from another university that is typically ranked in the top 5.  If this is one of those pissing contests you say you never start, I guess I win.

Status
Not open for further replies.