DL to suspend SEA-HND Flights

Status
Not open for further replies.
And so, the continued decline of Delta's network in Japan (which was widely predicted years ago) has now morphed into what everyone really wants to talk about it ... which is AA's failings in Latin America.  Fantastic.

Reactions: 7 people
what you have NEVER understood in this discussion which has gone on for year after year is that DL and NW have a HUB at NRT. Hubs exist to transfer passengers. It is no different than the fact that AA carries 40K passengers per day thru DFW who never will set foot on Texas soil outside of the airport and are no more part of the local market that AA competes with along with every other carrier that serves DFW and DAL.

DL can shrink a lot of capacity at NRT and still maintain its position in Japan - and that is EXACTLY what they are doing.

There is no evidence that DL has yet lost market share EITHER IN JAPAN or in the cities that are connected to the hub.

In fact, DL is GROWING its presence in Asia outside of Japan even while maintaining its presence in Japan.

In sharp contrast, AA has SHRUNK its presence in Japan even while adding capacity to Asia outside of Japan.

UA has also been able to maintain their presence in Japan while keeping their presence outside of Japan stable - they have done far less growth in Asia.

DL has done and likely will continue to do a very good job of restructuring its Asian network to lose NOTHING while gaining a whole lot - whether you can see it or not.

And most significantly, DL manages to make money to Asia even in the midst of the transition and restructuring.

Delta (and Northwest before it) have - or soon will have - reduced capacity between NRT and JFK and HNL, and between DTW and NGO, among others, while exited NRT-PUS, KHH, HKG, PEK and SFO and NGO-MNL altogether, and yet it's all about the "HUB" at NRT, there is "no evidence" that Delta has lost market share, and indeed Delta is "maintaining its presence in Japan."

I see the disconnection from reality continues.

commavia   the sad reality is  is that that one famous DL cheerleader will say anything to make DL look the best   its pretty dam sad....

no, I will speak the truth.

The truth is that AA has dismantled its Japanese route system in order to add one route after another to other points in Asia and their employees are willing to defend a company that spends several hundred million dollars per years subsidizing their Asian operations.

DL's route system to Asia makes money, DL is restructuring it WITHOUT losing its market share in Japan, and is GROWING into other parts of Asia.

UA is doing the same thing as well.

whether you can understand it or not, AA is the one that can't make Asia work. DL and UA can.

commavia said:
And so, the continued decline of Delta's network in Japan (which was widely predicted years ago) has now morphed into what everyone really wants to talk about it ... which is AA's failings in Latin America.  Fantastic.
Look at this hand 

while I slap you with the other. Com thats called airline management 101. 

Reactions: 1 person
can you share with us how you became so cynical esp. about mgmt?

DOT data can easily show that AA has used its profits in Latin America to subsidize its losses in Asia and to Europe in the winter.

Latin America simply will not provide the profits for AA this year that it has in the past due to increased competition, weaker economies, and a stronger dollar.

The fact that DL's Asian network makes money on a year round basis means DL is able to make the right decisions in Asia from a position of strength.

WorldTraveler said:
can you share with us how you became so cynical esp. about mgmt?

DOT data can easily show that AA has used its profits in Latin America to subsidize its losses in Asia and to Europe in the winter.

Latin America simply will not provide the profits for AA this year that it has in the past due to increased competition, weaker economies, and a stronger dollar.

The fact that DL's Asian network makes money on a year round basis means DL is able to make the right decisions in Asia from a position of strength.
we are not shutting down Dallas

just kidding we are

We are not shutting down Tampa though for real

just kidding, yeah we are.

We are not merging with Northwest. guys like for real for real

**** yeah we are.

for the last 15 years it has been one big lie. Trusting management at this point just shows how stupid a person can be.  

...Which is a shame, really...

I think most people would genuinely like to work in the sort of environment that's idealized in places like the RoTR & The Way We Fly.

your problem is that you think the world revolves around you.

newsflash It doesn't.

DL's level of maintenance outsourcing FELL after the shutting of the maintenance facilities you mentioned. It was lower in 2009 right before the merger than it had been in years.

Did DL just stop doing maintenance....? or is it possible, just possible that DL figured out how to do the maintenance it did more efficiently?

given your clear paranoia with management, it is clear that you really don't belong in a large organization.

why DO you stay?

You and Kev can start up a small business someplace - a long ways away from the rest of humanity - which is clearly out to get you both.

the paranoia and hatred that the union crowd has for management across the industry is notable - and it is also not representative of what the vast majority of DL people believe - and why you two are actually the outsiders.

Delta has reduced (or will soon reduce) capacity on numerous Japan routes (NRT-JFK, NRT-HNL, KIX-HNL, etc.) from where it was when Northwest operated the hub, and has (or will soon) cut entirely NRT-PEK, NRT-HKG, NRT-PUS, NRT-SFO and NGO-MNL.  Back in reality, what is actually happening is that - precisely as many of us predicted years ago - Delta is dismantling its NRT hub because said hub is no longer competitive, and instead shifting that flying - in large part - to SEA which, while complicated, is a superior Asia hub.  Delta's own CEO Richard Anderson, and other executives, have said precisely this - that NRT is simply no longer viable or competitive as a major hub between the U.S. and Asia, and thus it is being de-emphasized in favor of nonstops from U.S. gateways.

And yet, AA is supposedly the one that has "dismantled" its Japan network. 

Hysterical.  Per usual, one just has to laugh at the detachment from reality ...

WorldTraveler said:
your problem is that you think the world revolves around you.

newsflash It doesn't.

DL's level of maintenance outsourcing FELL after the shutting of the maintenance facilities you mentioned. It was lower in 2009 right before the merger than it had been in years.
uh no it didn't. If they fell where is the work? I don't see it. 

Did DL just stop doing maintenance....? or is it possible, just possible that DL figured out how to do the maintenance it did more efficiently?

given your clear paranoia with management, it is clear that you really don't belong in a large organization.
So its only me? Is it fun talking out of your ass? that is why you must do it so much. 
why DO you stay?

You and Kev can start up a small business someplace - a long ways away from the rest of humanity - which is clearly out to get you both.

the paranoia and hatred that the union crowd has for management across the industry is notable - and it is also not representative of what the vast majority of DL people believe - and why you two are actually the outsiders.
ah the good old, if you don't like it leave. 

Now just scream "UNION DUES! OMG!" and we have come full circle. 

Kev3188 said:
...Which is a shame, really...

I think most people would genuinely like to work in the sort of environment that's idealized in places like the RoTR & The Way We Fly.
yes it is. 

WorldTraveler said:
Nice try at "othering."

FWIW, I don't hate anyone; it's not worth the energy.

Oh yeah, I'm also on the inside. Right in the middle, as it were... Are you?

comm,
I never said that NRT AS A HUB isn't changing and shrinking.

What you refuse to acknowledge is that DL's total capacity over the Pacific is flat to up. DL is rerouting capacity away from NRT. UA is doing the same thing.

AA's market share from Japan is down considerably and the combined AA/JL share of the market has shrunk.

Japan IS a shrinking market.

DL, whether you want to admit it or not HAS held onto its Japan share better than others. That might change but so far it has not.

---

OUTSIDE and INSIDE aren't defined by whether you get a DL paycheck or not but whether you understand and are part of the DL culture and family.

Kev has argued for years that the DL family doesn't exist; of course it doesn't for him. For others it does.

Kev is the outsider to an organization he has tried to remake to his own liking for 5 years.

Kev and dawg clearly fight the organization that the vast majority of their peers manage to succeed and fit in to.

Kev3188 said:
Nice try at "othering."

FWIW, I don't hate anyone; it's not worth the energy.

Oh yeah, I'm also on the inside. Right in the middle, as it were... Are you?

It is very clear that he isn't. 
WorldTraveler said:
comm,
I never said that NRT AS A HUB isn't changing and shrinking.

What you refuse to acknowledge is that DL's total capacity over the Pacific is flat to up. DL is rerouting capacity away from NRT. UA is doing the same thing.

AA's market share from Japan is down considerably and the combined AA/JL share of the market has shrunk.

Japan IS a shrinking market.

DL, whether you want to admit it or not HAS held onto its Japan share better than others. That might change but so far it has not.

---

OUTSIDE and INSIDE aren't defined by whether you get a DL paycheck or not but whether you understand and are part of the DL culture and family.

Kev has argued for years that the DL family doesn't exist; of course it doesn't for him. For others it does.

Kev is the outsider to an organization he has tried to remake to his own liking for 5 years.

Kev and dawg clearly fight the organization that the vast majority of their peers manage to succeed and fit in to.
Vast majority? so vast the FA vote last time was less than 1000 people? I also believe the ramp vote had narrow margins too. 

do you know what the word vast means? 

and no, you are very much on the outside. "but whether you understand and are part of the DL culture and family." You don't understand any of that stuff. Clearly. 

Status
Not open for further replies.