Don’t hold back people!

As a retired flight attendant, let me add here that a LOT of flight attendants are unhappy about something. First off, there are only 2 things a flight attendant does not like--The way things are and Change. If you told some flight attendants that they won 1/2 of that $600,000,000 Powerball lottery, they would b**ch about the fact that they didn't win the whole thing. That somehow they had been mistreated.

They have a job where most of them only work 3 days/week and are on duty less than 10 hours/day, and they gross approximately $5000/month. They are free to drop or add flights to their schedule or trade trips with other flight attendants as needed financially or socially. It is perhaps the most flexible job I've ever encountered. (Yes, I know that contractually they can be kept on duty up to 15 hours/day, but they are paid for that. Happens very infrequently. In 15 years at American, I only timed out twice (maybe 3 times. I'm 73 you know,)

They have an insurance plan that is among the most generous I've ever encountered (if you choose the standard plan). When I had surgery to repair a ruptured disc in my neck in January, 2016, the bill came to over $50,000. I ended up paying about $1500 of the total street price. No, it was not work-related as far as I know. I have no idea how or when the disc was ruptured. I just know when I became aware of the symptoms.

I had 5 wildly different careers--actor (glamorous way to say, waiter), Social Worker, Computer Systems Analyst/programmer, Independent Systems Consultant, and Flight attendant from the time I graduated from college until I retired last November. In each career I reached a point where I was not happy or not fulfilled. At that point I went and got a different job. If you are not happy where you work, for God's sake go and get another one. Please do not take out your misery on your customers or your coworkers. DON'T WHINE. Nobody cares.:rolleyes::p

American Airlines is probably not the best place in the world to work, but I can tell you from my own experience, it is far from the worst.

Last edited:
As a retired flight attendant, let me add here that a LOT of flight attendants are unhappy about something. First off, there are only 2 things a flight attendant does not like--The way things are and Change. If you told some flight attendants that they won 1/2 of that $600,000 Powerball lottery, they would ***** about the fact that they didn't win the whole thing. That somehow they had been mistreated.

They have a job where most of them only work 3 days/week and are on duty less than 10 hours/day, and they gross approximately $5000/month. They are free to drop or add flights to their schedule or trade trips with other flight attendants as needed financially or socially. It is perhaps the most flexible job I've ever encountered. (Yes, I know that contractually they can be kept on duty up to 15 hours/day, but they are paid for that. Happens very infrequently. In 15 years at American, I only timed out twice (maybe 3 times. I'm 73 you know,)

They have an insurance plan that is among the most generous I've ever encountered (if you choose the standard plan). When I had surgery to repair a ruptured disc in my neck in January, 2016, the bill came to over $50,000. I ended up paying about $1500 of the total street price. No, it was not work-related as far as I know. I have no idea how or when the disc was ruptured. I just know when I became aware of the symptoms.

I had 5 wildly different careers--actor (glamorous way to say, waiter), Social Worker, Computer Systems Analyst/programmer, Independent Systems Consultant, and Flight attendant from the time I graduated from college until I retired last November. In each career I reached a point where I was not happy or not fulfilled. At that point I went and got a different job. If you are not happy where you work, for God's sake go and get another one. Please do not take out your misery on your customers or your coworkers. DON'T WHINE. Nobody cares.:rolleyes::p

American Airlines is probably not the best place in the world to work, but I can tell you from my own experience, it is far from the worst.

Nice response.