Not open for further replies.

700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
US Airways CEO is DUI suspect
By Nick Martin, Tribune
February 8, 2007

Just hours after losing a $10 billion bid to take over Delta Air Lines last week, US Airways’ top executive Doug Parker was arrested in Scottsdale on suspicion of drunken driving.

The CEO of the Tempe-based airline was clocked in his black BMW at 65 mph — 20 miles faster than the posted speed limit — on Jan. 31 at Pima Road just south of Bell Road, according to a police report.

Parker told the officer who pulled him over that he was coming from the Bird’s Nest, a nightly party at the FBR Open golf tournament, where he told police he downed three beers in two hours, according to the report. Two passengers were with him.

A US Airways spokeswoman told the Tribune late Thursday the 45-year-old executive, whose given name is William Douglas Parker, was giving friends a ride after they had too much to drink. Parker declined to comment. But the spokeswoman, Elise Eberwein, said she talked to him about the arrest.

Eberwein said Parker told her he “is embarrassed beyond words and knows more is expected of him.â€

She added: “Knowing Doug, I do know he would not get behind the wheel of a car if he felt too impaired to drive.â€

During the 11:30 p.m. traffic stop that night, the officer’s report noted Parker had watery eyes, alcohol on his breath and slurred speech. Eberwein said the description “shocked and mortified†Parker.

Parker went through roadside sobriety tests before the officer took him to a nearby outpost to draw his blood and officially book him.

Scottsdale police spokesman Sgt. Mark Clark said Parker was released and sent home in a taxi, a normal procedure during DUI crackdowns.

The arrest means Parker’s blood-alcohol level is believed to have been above the legal limit of .08.

Just how much alcohol was in Parker’s system will be determined when a crime lab tests his blood, Clark said.

Those results were not available late Thursday when police confirmed the arrest, which Clark said took place without incident.

Parker told Eberwein he believes the results will show his blood-alcohol level was below the limit, she said.

In November, Parker and US Airways made their first moves to acquire Delta, which is in bankruptcy.

The merger would have created the largest carrier in the nation. Delta, however, fought off the deal, and convinced its creditors not to cave to US Airways.

Parker, a Paradise Valley resident, has been CEO of US Airways since 2005. He was CEO of America West Airlines before it merged with US Airways.

If convicted, Parker could be ordered to pay a $500 fine, spend from one to 10 days in jail, lose his driver’s license for 30 days and be put on probation for five years

Reminds me when the Executive from NW got busted trying to go through security with pot.

Certainly our thoughts and prayers go out to Doug and his family. The .08, and even .1 are way too low. .2 would be a much more legitimate BAC for a DUI arrest. Simply another indication of big brother and liberal organizations such as MADD taking control over our lives.

The legal limit is .08, that is legally drunk, no and if or buts, why making excuses for him?

Shows very poor judgement for a CEO.

Is that the best you can do?

He broke the law, plain and simple, read the article, slurred speech, etc...

The law is .08, that is a fact.

Certainly our thoughts and prayers go out to Doug and his family. The .08, and even .1 are way too low. .2 would be a much more legitimate BAC for a DUI arrest. Simply another indication of big brother and liberal organizations such as MADD taking control over our lives.
Hopefully you will never have a family member of friend hurt or killed by an impaired driver. Makes you think different about people who put others in harms way.

Your thoughts and paryers should be that he was stopped before he could have killed someone.

As in any family, you rally around a member that's in trouble.

Get well Doug.

Then, get about the business of making US Airways a World Class Carrier of Choice with an employee family that enjoys coming to work and is fairly compensated.

Hopefully you will never have a family member of friend hurt or killed by an impaired driver. Makes you think different about people who put others in harms way.

Your thoughts and paryers should be that he was stopped before he could have killed someone.
I have had both, a family member and friend both killed in what police called an alcohol related accident. That does not change the point that government and communist type groups are infringing on our rights. The law should not be made to protect the very few. Out of 300 million people, the deaths of a small percent is irrelevant.

If he was in trouble, why was it announced in the press nine days later and he did not disclose it to the employees?

If he was in trouble, why was it announced in the press nine days later and he did not disclose it to the employees?

I rarely agree with 700UW, but this time couldn't agree more!

Why wasn't it disclosed earlier? What the heck was he thinking? Could he not afford a cab?

So . . . if he stays around will we be bringing back all the folks who were termed for a BAC level over the years?

Out of 300 million people, the deaths of a small percent is irrelevant.
Tell that to the wife that lost a husband or husband who lost a wife or kids who lost a parent or both, or siblings who lost another sibling.

You have some serious issues if you think a death is irrelevant.

Yah, why are we just hearing about this 9 days later? How did they manage to keep it quiet, and what was the point of delaying it? Seems fishy..... :eek:

The FAA would yank my medical certificate, the company would not stand behind me, I would lose my job and livelihood, and go to jail.
Driving while impaired is a serious thing. Automobiles are dangerous projectiles. Operating any vehicle while impaired is unexcuseable.
This casts serious concerns on our CEO's judgement.

Status
Not open for further replies.