DOT FA cost/pay-compensation chart

I believe you should change that first word in your comment from most to some.
Maybe, maybe not. I suspect that most will answer the simple "How much do you make?" question with either their pay rate or some version of what their paycheck says, be it bi-weekly, bi-monthly, monthly, or annual amounts or gross/net. Almost certainly, if you change the question you've got a better chance of getting a different answer.

Believe it or not, but US (original, not LCC) employees have been through all the cuts (twice) that others have including terminated pensions that most other carrier's employees didn't end up with, but walk up to most any employee and ask that one simple question and you're very unlikely to get a dissertation on all the various costs the company incurs by having that employee on the payroll.

Let me just ask you - how much does your company pay in unemployment compensation contributions for you being on the payroll? What is your company's health/dental cost for you specifically - not the average but for you specifically?

Jim

Maybe, maybe not. I suspect that most will answer the simple "How much do you make?" question with either their pay rate or some version of what their paycheck says, be it bi-weekly, bi-monthly, monthly, or annual amounts or gross/net. Almost certainly, if you change the question you've got a better chance of getting a different answer.

Believe it or not, but US (original, not LCC) employees have been through all the cuts (twice) that others have including terminated pensions that most other carrier's employees didn't end up with, but walk up to most any employee and ask that one simple question and you're very unlikely to get a dissertation on all the various costs the company incurs by having that employee on the payroll.
while I clearly see what you are implying, your "how much do you make?" poll in the workplace is not only inappropriate, it is also really no one's business due to the fact its sensitive personal information(even if the attempt is simply to see how someone would answer the question based on cost or pay)

Asking what is the individual cost is also not relevant or necessary..as each department, in this case, Inflight has a specfic dollar amount or budget(cost) allocated. The budget for the department is the only relevant number if considering what is the cost for the group. How that number is determined(and those employees that fall under "cost") is different, based on individual schedules, but as long as the budget remains in the target range is the only necessary criteria.

Let me just ask you - how much does your company pay in unemployment compensation contributions for you being on the payroll? What is your company's health/dental cost for you specifically - not the average but for you specifically?

Jim
Unemployment contributions...well the rate you pay in one state to the rate paid in another is different, because the taxable wage base differs so widely, a lower rate in one state might be paid on a higher taxable wage base, yielding a higher expense, the percentage is different for each..state. I would estimate 0.3% to 0.9% and a high as 3.0 %. because the employees in the airline industry claim residency in so many states, its probably a little complex having an exact number to cover all employees. while I am sure it can be determined the exact number(but not really right off the top of your head), quite frankly I find that to be as unnecessary as asking what is an employee's individual cost on this forum because that falls within the "budget".

lets put it like this, "specifically" I know how much the company contributes to 401K, and the personal cost the company contributes to health/dental insurance, and I do not think it is any of your business.

I hope you have a pleasant day.

There's one thing the AFA-prepared propaganda piece certainly puts to rest: The AFA is the most dismal of the flight attendant unions when it comes to pay/benefits.

According to the AFA, the most expensive FAs are TWU-represented WN. The next most expensive are the independent union AA FAs. Third place belongs to the IAM-represented CO FAs. Finally, the AFA-represented NW FAs, costing their employer $10,200 less than AA FAs and $9,600 less than CO FAs. The AFA represents the poorly paid US FAs, who cost US $10,000 less than the NW FAs cost their employer. And the AFA thinks this chart (with its mere 5% difference between NW and DL employer cost) is gonna sway any DL FAs its way?

Organized FAs may indeed make more money (not that this chart proves higher pay), but it's pretty clear that organizing with the AFA is the ticket to the poor house compared to representation by the TWU (at WN) or the APFA (at AA) or even the IAM (at CO). FAs at those airlines cost their employer substantially more than NW FAs cost NW.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

FWAAA,
Question;

Whats the ONLY thing worse than a real crummy union ????

Answer,

NO UNION AT ALL !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Corporate GREED(which CAN negatively effect , ANY work group), is in the DNA of EVERY US Corporation !!!!

(Kind of like the "best ol' kitty cat in the world", WHO, on occasion will SCRATCH you unexpectedly) !!!

I'll take a Bad union, over NO union................ANYDAY.

I'll take a Bad union, over NO union................ANYDAY.

Why does that not surprise me, Bears? You yourself suffered under the worthless union (TWU) during your entire tenure at AA. You are the unparalleled expert here at suffering under a bad union. :D

Anyway, my point is not that the Delta FAs should remain non-union. My point is that the AFA is the union of the lower-paid FAs (or at least the FAs who cost their employer less per capita), according to the OP's own data. And yet the OP has the temerity to claim that it "puts to rest" any debate about which FAs make more money. Complete nonsense.

Take a look at the low number for the AFA-represented LCC (USAir) FAs: several thousand dollars less than non-union B6 and DL.

http://www.nwaafa.org/docs/merger/AvgFAExp...perCapitasm.jpg

In any case, the AFA chart linked by the OP is sheer nonsense. All it "proves" is that Southwest gets a lot of work from its FAs and pays them well for that work. Same with CO and AA. If we dug into the stats, we'd probably find that WN, AA and CO have fewer FAs on the payroll per block hour flown, which translates to those FAs working more hours on average than the FAs at NW, DL, UA and the other lower-cost FAs. Of course they then cost their employer more $$ per capita - compared to the lower cost companies, the WN, AA and CO FAs are working overtime. When you work overtime, you make more money.