Doug Parker pay compared to average employee at AA

jimntx

Veteran
Jun 28, 2003
Dallas, TX
www.usaviation.com
https://www.dallasnews.com/business...-pay-worlds-largest-airline-compare-employees

Some quotes...
"American Airlines CEO Doug Parker's compensation in 2018 totaled nearly $12 million — or 195 times more than the airline's median pay for employees." Show of hands: Anyone surprised?o_O

"Parker actually saw his compensation fall by 1.4% from the previous year, as did the Fort Worth-based carrier's other key executives, according to its annual proxy filing." Again, show of hands: Are you contributing to the food bags we are collecting for the BOD? Who knew they were in such financial straits?
(Will the mechanics and maintenance employees in the back of the room quit whining. We all know you haven't had a contract since shortly after the end of the last Ice Age, but this is important. Our executives are hurting.):rolleyes:

Last edited:
So Parker's high wages are reducing the amount of available wages for the employees? So $12 million/120,000 employees = $100 average annually? I get so angry thinking about it-- or I could just go work some overtime instead?

Do you guys do realize how idiotic these types of post are?

Compare his pay to other CEOs, other airlines and other businesses. My guees is he is way down the list. I guarantee you if we took his pay compared to other CEO's and gave you all the same ranking in pay for the rank & file it would be a huge paycut for all of you.

B.S. his pay is well above the average worker which is all us frontline fellows. If we took his pay itd be an upgrade to what we have now

Here's a news bulletin, he's the CEO of the largest airline in the world. He does not load bags or turn wrenches. I suppose you'all think we should be making close to his wage, as well as being paid like a doctor, lawyer or a pro athlete. You want to make millions, change careers.

Do you guys do realize how idiotic these types of post are?

Compare his pay to other CEOs, other airlines and other businesses. My guees is he is way down the list. I guarantee you if we took his pay compared to other CEO's and gave you all the same ranking in pay for the rank & file it would be a huge paycut for all of you.

Here's a news bulletin, he's the CEO of the largest airline in the world. He does not load bags or turn wrenches. I suppose you'all think we should be making close to his wage, as well as being paid like a doctor, lawyer or a pro athlete. You want to make millions, change careers.

It’s about Business Ethics. An ideology that is lost here in the USA.

i don't begrudge him $10-$12-$14 million a year. my issue is that the ceo has decided that he doesn't want to share portions of record profits with his assoc. employees. as of right now, definitely fleet and title 2 employees seem expendable to them.

the delta ceo shares a billion+ a year with his employees.

my other issue is that the airline is sputtering because the former america west/us air team can't get their arms around the new aa.

these guys drove a go-kart for years, got the keys for a porsche..and have no clue how to drive it. they cling to a losing LCC philosophy.

really telling last year when they got rid of dozens of laa managers, people who were part of the #1 airline for a few decades. we got rid of gold in exchange for copper.

the gee-whiz we have banks with tight connection times jetnet video was almost comical. these america west guys threw a party when they started a sleepy phx-sfo route...aa was running banks with success 25-30 years ago.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business...-pay-worlds-largest-airline-compare-employees

Some quotes...
"American Airlines CEO Doug Parker's compensation in 2018 totaled nearly $12 million — or 195 times more than the airline's median pay for employees." Show of hands: Anyone surprised?o_O

"Parker actually saw his compensation fall by 1.4% from the previous year, as did the Fort Worth-based carrier's other key executives, according to its annual proxy filing." Again, show of hands: Are you contributing to the food bags we are collecting for the BOD? Who knew they were in such financial straits?
(Will the mechanics and maintenance employees in the back of the room quit whining. We all know you haven't had a contract since shortly after the end of the last Ice Age, but this is important. Our executives are hurting.):rolleyes:

Despite the ones giving negative post on this issue and claims that no one should worry about how well their CEO is being paid and the gap from the average employees is completely wrong and don't have a clue how the real world compares all employees pay within a company.
This is why if you had a smart NC and/or union representing the employees you would hire a professional economist to look at exactly this topic while in nego's. Our economist did exactly this with our recent long nego's. He compared how well our CEO is being paid compared to the average as well as our mechanics pay and where everyone falls on the totem pole as a percentage average overall. As most all of you know when we ask for our raises, the first question out of a companies sides mouths are, "Really? And just how exactly do you come up with data and explanations that your group deserves such a large increase?" The economist easily explained the averages and the difference thru the years where we landed compared to CEO, officers, and even BOD members pay %'s and gaps. A professional proposal that takes a better part of a day's worth of nego's to explain and show all the data, charts, and graphs and discussions on all the reasons and matters is the most productive part of nego's and well worth the hiring of a professional economist. Peter did a fantastic job setting the company side of the table straight on why we deserved such a large pay increases. Just coming from mouths on the other side of the table, (such as mechanics, cleaners, ramp, bus drivers, truck drivers etc...) just don't cut it. Once our economist set them straight on why and where, the company started to offer much, much more reasonable offers. Going from 3-5% offers to 12-20% raises up front to catch us up. And instead of the .5%-1.5% on the outgoing years they started turning into 2.75%-3.25% increases on the outgoing years.
So for you guys here disagreeing with comparing, it really does make it much, much smoother at the table instead of just pulling numbers out of the sky. Also the typical "well such and such airline pays their mechanics this and this is why we deserve to be paid the same or better" just doesn't fly anymore, but it does help to use them as a comparo within the industry. Our economist was the best money spent on nego's, right there next to the attorneys cost, it's just part of nego's. And this is exactly why our Pilots use this same economist for their nego's. They are smart too...