Drug Tests All Around

Ken MacTiernan

Veteran
Aug 12, 2003
San Diego CA
www.amtausa.com
HR 2881 passed Congress earlier this month. We await the Senate version.

In this resolution foreign repair stations will be required to drug test their AME/AMTs. This is the right thing to do. If foreign repair stations balk at this then they should not do this work on US registered aircraft. It is about time to level the playing field.

HR 2881 passed Congress earlier this month. We await the Senate version.

In this resolution foreign repair stations will be required to drug test their AME/AMTs. This is the right thing to do. If foreign repair stations balk at this then they should not do this work on US registered aircraft. It is about time to level the playing field.

You don't really think Bush will sign off on something that puts an American mechanic on a more even footing with their foreign counterparts, do you? Granted - it's about time this happened but with the present war on middle America it'll never fly.

The dems will, no doubt, use Bush's soon-to-come veto as more election issue fodder but that's about all that will ever come of the bill.

Nice idea, though.

You don't really think Bush will sign off on something that puts an American mechanic on a more even footing with their foreign counterparts, do you? Granted - it's about time this happened but with the present war on middle America it'll never fly.

The dems will, no doubt, use Bush's soon-to-come veto as more election issue fodder but that's about all that will ever come of the bill.

Nice idea, though.

No I don't expect Bush or the Senate to pass this. And like WW points out, I don't necessarily believe certain repair stations will do a "legal" drug test. China do one? That's a laugh. But it is a start and at least it is something the unions can get behind and bring to the public's attention. It is also something that every AMT in the US should write to their Senators about.

Like the "sudden" discovery of lead paint in millions of children's toys, I'm a lot more concerned about the use of bogus/substandard parts and slipshod repair work at foreign repair stations than I am about drug use by the workers.

But, foreign outsourcing is "enhancing shareholder value" and therefore is a good, and not to be questioned, thing.

("Enhancing shareholder value" is corporatespeak for increasing executive bonusses.) :lol: