East crews out West.

WCT

Veteran
May 8, 2007
Visit site
Are you Easties enjoying the increased flying out of PHX? SLC and SAN just to name a few? How are the overnites in PHX? I really enjoy the long layover in CLT. The airport is wonderful in CLT, and agents are extremely friendly. How is your experience out West going? :D

Are you Easties enjoying the increased flying out of PHX? SLC and SAN just to name a few? How are the overnites in PHX? I really enjoy the long layover in CLT. The airport is wonderful in CLT, and agents are extremely friendly. How is your experience out West going? :D
Does anyone like coming out West??

YES!

Flying out West is very enjoyable in many ways.

First, the scenery is spectacular. Then, the ATC environment is much less hostile than many cities on the East Coast.

For example, flying from PHX-SEA, you change ATC frequencies about half as many time as say flying from MCO-PHL, a flight of similar duration.

Not to mention, the weather is generally more benign than East Coast winter or summer thunderstorms.

And don't forget the food. Fish and Chips (Salmon is great) at Ivar's in the SEA food court, great burritos at the Mexican take-out at PHX A Concourse.

PHX short hotel in Tempe is only marginal. Great location, though. Long hotel in Scottsdale is excellent, except only a few long crews go there. Most layovers, even long are at the Tempe accomodation.

Staff is great. Pushback crews are the best in the system.

YES!

Flying out West is very enjoyable in many ways.

First, the scenery is spectacular. Then, the ATC environment is much less hostile than many cities on the East Coast.

For example, flying from PHX-SEA, you change ATC frequencies about half as many time as say flying from MCO-PHL, a flight of similar duration.

Not to mention, the weather is generally more benign than East Coast winter or summer thunderstorms.

And don't forget the food. Fish and Chips (Salmon is great) at Ivar's in the SEA food court, great burritos at the Mexican take-out at PHX A Concourse.

PHX short hotel in Tempe is only marginal. Great location, though. Long hotel in Scottsdale is excellent, except only a few long crews go there. Most layovers, even long are at the Tempe accomodation.

Staff is great. Pushback crews are the best in the system.

Haven't been there in a couple of years but SAN had great Fish Tacos!

MM

I look forward to any Eugene or Boise overnights.

I remember EUG as a beautiful place w/ lots of different kinds of Henry's.

Also PDX would be nice, again w/ lots of micro brews.

The one I really want to see is Boise.

Generally speaking I love the west, from the front range of the Rockies to the Pacific. Flying out west is hands down the best. Usually good wx and few hassles.

As far as overnights go the Twin Palms has good locale and that's where it ends. We use to stay in Scottsdale - much nicer hotel.

There are cultural differences between East and West but I learned along time ago People are people, once you identify the B.S.

I look forward to any Eugene or Boise overnights.

I remember EUG as a beautiful place w/ lots of different kinds of Henry's.

Also PDX would be nice, again w/ lots of micro brews.

The one I really want to see is Boise.
I love the Boise overnites. Grreat place to stay!!!! :up: SFO, SEA are great too! But I still love my JFK manhattan layovers, no place like NYC.....! :)

As a westie (SAN commuter, PHX based) that was born and raised in PA, I am glad to hear you enjoy the west flying as much as I enjoy the east flying. The folks at CLT are AWESOME and Philly, believe it or not, I have run into some great folks there too! PHX can be a bear when the summer monsoon's hit in the evenings, but the weather on the west coast is usually more predictable and stable which makes things MUCH easier. Do not forget our crew room in PHX (FA's) can be accessed using the elevator beside gate B4 (go to the third floor and turn left). Vending machines, microwaves, couches, recliners, etc. I, for one, will always greet you with a smile (unless of course scheduling just screwed me, LOL). No smoking areas in PHX though, you need to go out past security and outside to smoke. Stop up and relax or say HI if you have a sit.

Some of my best (and worst :lol: ) memories are at the hotel in Scottsdale where we used to stay. I think it was the Ramada or something. Anyway, we had some CRAZY times there, especially by the pool. I still enjoy going to the west coast, but I don't act as crazy anymore. I just enjoy the weather and scenery. :)

Some of my best (and worst :lol: ) memories are at the hotel in Scottsdale where we used to stay. I think it was the Ramada or something. Anyway, we had some CRAZY times there, especially by the pool. I still enjoy going to the west coast, but I don't act as crazy anymore. I just enjoy the weather and scenery. :)

That was the Valley Ho.

Newly remodeled and rather chic, but not cheap enough for the likes of USAirways crews!

http://www.hotelvalleyho.com/content/index.html?

The Tempe hotel ...

As a commuter they offer a great USAirways rate and I stay there sometimes. It is usually semi-clean, the staff is VERY nice, all the rooms have balconies and it is usually quiet. Not one of the better hotels, but certainly not one of the worst either.

Some of my best (and worst :lol: ) memories are at the hotel in Scottsdale where we used to stay. I think it was the Ramada or something.
How on earth can you forget the name Valley Ho!?

And they always gave me Ramada Rewards or whatever the frequent guest program was called at the time (it’s part of TripRewards now). Not many properties did that for Crews.

I've heard a lot of complaints about the Twin Palms.....Is it as bad as I've
been hearing?
Yes! Think cheesy motel. This place is nasty. Especially if your room is located in the back of the dump. The bed sucks. Real hard to sleep with the train going by all night. I saw a mouse run under the parrot cage in the lobby. Places to eat are not with in walking distance unless you're a big fan of IHOP. I have written up this place several times but nothing happens. On the other hand, the Hyatt in Scottsdale is great!! Complete opposite of Twin Palms.

Latest posts