Emergency Landing at PHL

jimntx

Veteran
Jun 28, 2003
Dallas, TX
www.usaviation.com
Southwest flight 1380, LGA-DAL, made an emergency landing at PHL following "uncontained engine failure." One fatality. On TV they did say that one window in the cabin was lost, but did not specifically attach that info to the fatality. CFM-56 engine., aircraft left.

Last edited:
Here's more information that does seem to link broken window (hit by shrapnel from the failed engine) with fatality.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/southw...landing-today-2018-04-17-live-stream-updates/

How's this for a safety record: THIS IS THE FIRST FATALITY ONBOARD A SOUTHWEST FLIGHT EVER.

(There was the little boy who was killed in his family's car when a Southwest airplane skidded off the runway and hit the car in Chicago several years ago. But, I'm not sure I would call that an airplane fatality.)

Last edited:
I am deeply saddened that there is a fatality resulting from this accident. My heartfelt sympathy to the
Family Members and loved ones, Customers and Employees affected by this tragic event. My thoughts
and prayers to all.
Love,
Sharon

Last edited:
Reactions: wings396

God Bless Tammie Jo Shults. Very cool, very level headed, very professional, and of course very in control. Thx to all the flight crue in and out of cockpit for their very professional and compassion work. This is very hard to take as this is our first fatality in flight. Stay strong and stay proud folks. We will get through this. Our thoughts and our prayers are with all the people involved in this flight.

Reactions: Claxon
God Bless Tammie Jo Shults. Very cool, very level headed, very professional, and of course very in control. Thx to all the flight crue in and out of cockpit for their very professional and compassion work. This is very hard to take as this is our first fatality in flight. Stay strong and stay proud folks. We will get through this. Our thoughts and our prayers are with all the people involved in this flight.
Well said.

One thing that is different is that most of the passengers had oxygen masks on their mouth. Not on both nose n mouth as is supposed to be.

One thing that is different is that most of the passengers had oxygen masks on their mouth. Not on both nose n mouth as is supposed to be.

Yes robbed, and it was noted on a late night show tonight. Passengers better start watching and listening to the F/A pre flight ramble, or else...