Ethiopian B737 crashes just after takeoff

No survivors. This make 2nd crash with fatalities in this new aircraft in a little over 4 months. That's not good. (First crash was Lion Air 737 MAX 8 which crashed into the Java Sea on Oct. 29th also just after takeoff.)

That's right Jim, not good at all. Lion Air I think was or had a faulty air speed indicator.
Fix needs to be found quickly. There are a lot of airlines getting these Max 8's. Will they get grounded until investigated???

That's right Jim, not good at all. Lion Air I think was or had a faulty air speed indicator.
Fix needs to be found quickly. There are a lot of airlines getting these Max 8's. Will they get grounded until investigated???
Swampy I will private message you.

The Lion Air was a faulty AOA putting imput to the automatic stall recovery system. That is why now all of SWA Max aircraft have the modification for AOA disagree on the primary flight display. We will have to wait on the latest investigation on this Ethiopian Airlines Max crash. They had 5 aircraft in their fleet.

UPDATE! Voice Data Recorder also located.

This is so very sad. Ethiopian had earned the title of best and safest airline on the African continent. Video from the scene indicates that they are having to use earth movers to dig the crash remains from the ground. Airplane literally buried itself in the ground.

Last edited:
WN has 34 Max 8s. AA has 24. Neither airline has any plans at this time to ground these a/c.

Airlines still flying the MAX 8: https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/11/africa/max-8-operations-roundup-intl/index.html

Once the black boxes are tapped and any info leads them to ground them or allow them to continue flying. Not sure if just the BB data will lead to anything though.
I admire China and Ethiopian Airlines for being proactive now. Maybe a little premature, but, hey, better to be safe than sorry...

Cayman
Once the black boxes are tapped and any info leads them to ground them or allow them to continue flying. Not sure if just the BB data will lead to anything though.
I admire China and Ethiopian Airlines for being proactive now. Maybe a little premature, but, hey, better to be safe than sorry...
And Indonesia also grounded them. Wn is allowing pax who dont want to fly it to change . AA wont w o charging fees

Just heard that third one myself.
AA needs to change the rules for a request to change due to current events. Sad to see they are not.

Just heard that third one myself.
AA needs to change the rules for a request to change due to current events. Sad to see they are not.
With AA management's talent for shooting themselves in the foot, I'm sure they will not change the "change rules" until they have wrung as much bad publicity out of the situation as is possible.