Feb / Mar 2013 US Pilots Labor Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep your checkbook handy because you are not one bit closer now than when you were after the 9th threw the whole thing out. Read the part about harm and what it takes to trigger it. Or keep shooting blanks...your choice.
At 2.5% of your income going to union dues I'd say your checkbook is already out.

Reactions: 3 people
At 2.5% of your income going to union dues I'd say your checkbook is already out.
Yes of course, you west pilots have had it all figured out for years. You have set such a good example of how to handle management in the past. (sarcasm)

Release #02.007
January 16, 2002

America West Pilots Call for Return to Mediated Negotiations
PHOENIX — The pilots of America West Airlines, represented by the Air Line Pilots Association, International (ALPA), today requested that the National Mediation Board quickly resume mediated negotiations between the union and America West management for a new contract.
"Management has shown their commitment to compensating the government through the terms of their loan guarantee," said Eric Edwards, vice chairman of the America West unit of ALPA. "Now it is time for management to show the same commitment to the employees who have repeatedly sacrificed and invested in this airline by resuming good faith negotiations with us."
As part of the agreement with the Air Transportation Stabilization Board, America West committed to keeping labor costs to those outlined in the company’s seven-year business plan. "Management has an obligation to negotiate with the unions representing America West employees no matter what commitments they make to the government," Edwards said. The pilots believe that this condition imposed by the federal government could interfere with their collective bargaining rights and are exploring all legal options if those rights are restricted.
"The federal government, which is mediating our negotiations as a neutral third party, could become a major shareholder in the airline," Edwards said. "This could present a conflict of interest that would compromise our legal bargaining rights."
The pilots, who have been negotiating with America West since February 2000, lag considerably behind their counterparts at other major carriers despite having much more demanding schedules and constraints within which to fly. They are seeking to address the following issues in their negotiations:

• No pension and no retiree medical benefits;
• Scheduling enhancements that increase productivity while on duty and, at the same time, restore sensible rest requirements;
• A commitment from management to reverse the punitive attitude toward employees and comply with the collective bargaining agreement, which they have failed to do as evidenced by the more than 300 grievances filed by pilots in 2001 alone;
• Job protection measures that limit management’s intention to outsource the pilots’ flying careers to smaller carriers; and
•Hourly pay rates that are as much as 74 percent below major airline industry average.
Including the 1,800 America West pilots, ALPA represents 66,000 members at 46 airlines in the United States and Canada.

# # #
ALPA Contact: Scott Sherrin, (602) 306-4100

Reactions: 2 people
west pilots in 2002 are furloughed. 2003 west pilot hires are now claiming they saved the East pilots. Am I missing something here?​

News Release
Release #02.06
January 15, 2002

America West Pilots Begin Fund to Pay Furloughed Pilots’ COBRA Premiums
PHOENIX — The pilots of America West Airlines, represented by the Air Line Pilots Association, International (ALPA), this month will begin assessing members to assist furloughed pilots in paying premiums to continue health insurance coverage under COBRA.
The ALPA-represented America West pilots authorized the America West Pilots’ Family Assistance Fund by a vote conducted in December. Pilots who are on active duty will make monthly payments to the fund that will then reimburse furloughed pilots for their COBRA premiums.
"Our members should be commended for coming through during this downturn and helping their fellow pilots caught in the furlough," said Eric Edwards, vice chairman of the America West ALPA unit. "While we prefer to see these 179 pilots back flying with us, this assistance will help our furloughed pilots meet a financial burden to maintain health insurance coverage until they join us back on the flight line."
Furloughed pilots will be eligible for reimbursement following the cessation on Feb. 15 of their company-paid insurance benefits. The monthly COBRA premium for a pilot and family can exceed $900 per month in some cases, which is hardly covered by current Arizona unemployment benefits of $205 per week, one of the lowest benefit levels in the country.
The fund will remain active for a maximum of 12 months or until all 179 furloughed pilots are called back to work, whichever occurs first.
Including the 1,800 America West pilots, ALPA represents 66,000 pilots at 46 airlines in the United States and Canada. Its Web site is http://www.alpa.org.
# # #
ALPA Contact: Scott Sherrin, (602) 306-4100
ALPA is the world's largest and oldest pilots union. Representing roughly 66,000 pilots flying for 46 airlines in the U.S. and Canada, ALPA is celebrating 70 years of advancing the cause of air safety and upholding the airline piloting profession.
--#--
ALPA Contact: Ron Lovas, 703-481-4440

Majority of my posts?

Dude back away from the keyboard, cause you are totally off base and lying.

The only time I mention it is when the east pilots call the west scabs, when the east pilots performed struck work before, crossed a sanctioned picket line and performed other union represented work during the IAM 30 day cooling off period.

So prove to the board the majority of my posts reference the strike of 1992.

Interesting comment coming from a guy who help found USAPA but lost his last run for a union position.
I'm still here. Interesting coming from a guy that has done nothing to further the cause of labor. No wife and kids. Wonder why? BTW, I posted all the legal definitions of seniority. I even have them from arbitrations. But you Dan, have the piedmont principle of seniority, called stiff your fellow pilots out of their time. Is that something your Dad taught you or does it just come naturally?

I have to go fly airplanes for a few days, so feel free to reflect on your sorry state of participation and I'll get back to you.

The only time I mention it is when the east pilots call the west scabs, when the east pilots performed struck work before, crossed a sanctioned picket line and performed other union represented work during the IAM 30 day cooling off period.
What struck work? Maintenance on aircraft? nope. Pushbacks? Nope. Pass out parts? Nope. What then? Also, you have no clue to how often an autopilot MEL is turned down. It depends on many factors...weather, turbulence, duty day... I've flown several legs without an autopilot, but now days we have two, not one, like on the 727 and 737-200 so MELs are rare. But I guess you wouldn't know that since you are NOT A PILOT.

Reactions: 4 people
My guess is he delivers a summary Judgement from the bench after one round of oral arguments. USCABA probably won't like the decision. There's nothing left to discuss. If they find this latest action isn't ripe for some stupid reason, then The West will just file after every turn of events...over and over until the magic Ripeness event triggers. I believe that event happened on Feb. 8 and will be locked into place at the POR. Either way, USAPA is 50 knots under V1 with 1000' remaining and losing it fast. Can't wait to watch the crash we all know is coming.

First officer Horner: why is it so bad that TWA pilots were stapled and you object, yet when USAir east pilots are, you are all in? Is it because you are positioning yourself for the biggest payoff, with situational ethics at the fore? You are quite the hypocrite Kevin.

The West didnt disrespect Sully, he let himself be used as a pawn and publicity stunt in the DFR trial, what he did had nothing to do with the case yet he testified.

Agreed. That was a real mistake on Sully's part, as well as USAPA's. (At least the part about the trial.)

But the west did and does disrespect Sully, but only because he is (was) and east pilot and they disrespect all east pilots.

Of course, the feeling is pretty much mutual at this point.

Reactions: 5 people
Status
Not open for further replies.