First 757 to outsourced MRO

I thought MRO's worked 7 days a week.

The checks take different amounts of time,they can defer alot of cards and issue on the line.It just matters whats in the bill of work...It can be light or heavy,it can look like a heavy C and have minimal cards. I suspect thats the case here,example...THe landing gear can be changed at DWH..You can knock off a week or longer of the heavy check...The More muddy the water
the more AMR likes it...

Then why bother sending them to Timco? Obvious they need them, not enough to warrant pushing back some mods but badly enough to blow the budget by doing the mods and the heavy checks at the same time.

Maybe they want a "kitchen sink" 4Q... This year's profitability is already a lost cause, so might as well make it really, really bad...

The checks take different amounts of time,they can defer alot of cards and issue on the line.It just matters whats in the bill of work...It can be light or heavy,it can look like a heavy C and have minimal cards. I suspect thats the case here,example...THe landing gear can be changed at DWH..You can knock off a week or longer of the heavy check...The More muddy the water
the more AMR likes it...
Does the TWU have anyone overseeing the process? Are they allowed to monitor this event?

I heard no TWU but yes the Company is sending management. AA still has a responsibility to oversee and make sure the work is done properly.

Yeah, they're sending a 757 Supv for oversight. Won't state name, but he's been around for a long time in H5.

Then why bother sending them to Timco? Obvious they need them, not enough to warrant pushing back some mods but badly enough to blow the budget by doing the mods and the heavy checks at the same time.

Between labor and parts, a 757 heavy C check might cost $2 million to $3 million. Might be more, could be less, but $8 million to $12 million, as you well know, amounts to rounding errors for an airline with $24 billion of annual revenue. AMR is on target to lose about $1.2 billion or more in 2011. $8 million to $12 million is less than one-tenth of one percent of that expected loss. Blow the budget? That's a little melodramatic.

Why send the four 757s to Timco? Probably to get some evidence for the executive suite and their army of consultants about whether outsourcing is more or less expensive than insourcing, taking into account the quality of the work and the turnaround time. The jury may no longer "be out" once these four airplanes are returned from Timco.

Once AA is forced to pay market rates for its line maintenance (and that market rate is nearly $50/hr, no?), many of the Tulsa chest-thumpers will no doubt move from their low-cost haven to the high-cost cities to chase that $100k annual income in NYC or LAX or MIA or CHI. Pigs will fly, of course, before AA agrees to pay $50/hr in Tulsa or Fort Worth for heavy overhaul. And besides, with the impending AMT shortage (especially among holders of A&P tickets), AA won't have enough mechanics to cover both the line and the bases. Makes sense to me to finally experiment with what has worked at UA and most other competitors - finding lower-cost providers of heavy overhaul.

Maybe the future of inhouse heavy overhaul at AA would consist of some $50/hr A&Ps supervising a larger army (larger than it is today) of $25/hr OSMs and other helpers. Apparently in El Salvador, it's some $5/hr mechanics overseeing a bunch of $2/hr helpers.

Reactions: 3 people
Between labor and parts, a 757 heavy C check might cost $2 million to $3 million. Might be more, could be less, but $8 million to $12 million, as you well know, amounts to rounding errors for an airline with $24 billion of annual revenue. AMR is on target to lose about $1.2 billion or more in 2011. $8 million to $12 million is less than one-tenth of one percent of that expected loss. Blow the budget? That's a little melodramatic.

Why send the four 757s to Timco? Probably to get some evidence for the executive suite and their army of consultants about whether outsourcing is more or less expensive than insourcing, taking into account the quality of the work and the turnaround time. The jury may no longer "be out" once these four airplanes are returned from Timco.

Once AA is forced to pay market rates for its line maintenance (and that market rate is nearly $50/hr, no?), many of the Tulsa chest-thumpers will no doubt move from their low-cost haven to the high-cost cities to chase that $100k annual income in NYC or LAX or MIA or CHI. Pigs will fly, of course, before AA agrees to pay $50/hr in Tulsa or Fort Worth for heavy overhaul. And besides, with the impending AMT shortage (especially among holders of A&P tickets), AA won't have enough mechanics to cover both the line and the bases. Makes sense to me to finally experiment with what has worked at UA and most other competitors - finding lower-cost providers of heavy overhaul.

Maybe the future of inhouse heavy overhaul at AA would consist of some $50/hr A&Ps supervising a larger army (larger than it is today) of $25/hr OSMs and other helpers. Apparently in El Salvador, it's some $5/hr mechanics overseeing a bunch of $2/hr helpers.

AMR already has an army of srp's starting pay 10.00 hr. less than Racetrack or Quicktrip.....So whats your point? The know it alls of this board are drinking the company koolaid....They have had this cost structure for sometime... So what you saying is we are underpaid!!!!!!!!!!!!!! With that logic....One things for sure there will be a shortage of AMT's, no bright young adult would even consider this profession. A few military people thats it...I certainly won't recommend it to anyone anymore.....

Reactions: 3 people
Since the paydscales have been decimated by AA/TWU I have seen some changes in my days.

More Workmans Compensation Claims. Folks bragging more about their settlements than seeking safer work practices.

More missing tools and equipment that seem to have walked off.

More missing personal materials and posessions.

More rejects on processing of components.

More scrap material during process and trasnport from point to point in the process.

More people that just cannot even or will not even do their jobs.

More people that defy authority.

And in general lack of giving a damn about the place.

Now that really saved them money?

Bean Counters have no clue about human factors and AA loses more in reality than any bean counter can count.

This is why we exist in a cycle of doom.

Both sides are dug in, bean counters say get more, union say hell no.
Only one way out.

Will it be Chapter 11 or Chapter 7?

Good Luck and be sure to find your future in more than greed and dollars.

Reactions: 2 people
Since the paydscales have been decimated by AA/TWU I have seen some changes in my days.

More Workmans Compensation Claims. Folks bragging more about their settlements than seeking safer work practices.

More missing tools and equipment that seem to have walked off.

More missing personal materials and posessions.

More rejects on processing of components.

More scrap material during process and trasnport from point to point in the process.

More people that just cannot even or will not even do their jobs.

More people that defy authority.

And in general lack of giving a damn about the place.

Now that really saved them money?

Bean Counters have no clue about human factors and AA loses more in reality than any bean counter can count.

This is why we exist in a cycle of doom.

Both sides are dug in, bean counters say get more, union say hell no.
Only one way out.

THEY MADE ME THIS WAY

Greed? Since when is standing up for lost benefits and wages greedy? If the company was negotiating in good faith you might have a point.

Greed? Since when is standing up for lost benefits and wages greedy? If the company was negotiating in good faith you might have a point.
It may be that the company is negotiating in good faith......

That is if you are referring to the compensation of Mechanic and Related and not the TWU as a whole?

This company as far as 1991 to present has never neg. in good faith,it's been take it or leave it....

TIMCO,old news but shows where they get their labor....From schister brokers

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1359521/posts

It seems to me that AA is just following "industry standards", so out sourcing the majority of O/H is going to happen like it or not.
Moving MOC to Dallas, so they can sit in the laps of the SOC people is "industry standard". Getting rid of retiree medical and going to the 401k is "industry standard" In my eyes moving MOC to Dallas is just another step in closing/spinning off Tulsa. Are the MOC and SOC people really going to talk "face to face" or just pick up the phone like they do now? Yep, 757's to Timco is just testing the waters....

Latest posts