Fleet Service Info

libertybell

Senior
Jan 5, 2003
October 13, 2005
TO: All Members TWU Local 580.

RE: Merger and Local 580 Contract Information

Dear Sisters and Brothers:

I know it seems daunting at times with so much going on in our industry. With our current contract negotiations with America West, coupled with facing merger discussions, I am sure there is a great deal of uncertainty and angst. Therefore, I wanted to personally give you an update on where we stand.

Since May 2005, we (TWU International) have been assisting the Local leadership with contract negotiations preparation and analysis of our member’s contract proposals. We also retained an outside consultant for research, costing, and economic analysis of both the Company and the member’s proposals. Assisted by International Representative Gary Shults, I am pleased with the patience, dedication, and professionalism President Rezler has shown, along with the entire Executive Board and Negotiation Committee, during some difficult times dealing with the inept approach to collective bargaining by the Company.

Our Committee has maintained our position that America West is not in bankruptcy and we will not be submissive to the Company’s quest to apply across the board the USAIR IAM Bankruptcy agreement. The concessionary agreement does not meet the needs of our membership because of the potential loss of America West jobs. No, we will not give our work away. Over the years, our members have brought this Company to a viable and competitive carrier. It is our turn up to bat and with your help and solidarity; we will achieve the contract our members deserve while improving on our sister Company’s (USAIR) agreement.

Last week the IAM filed a single carrier petition with the National Mediation Board, which we are challenging as premature. Yesterday, Oct 12, 2005 I met in Washington with Ms. Mary L. Johnson, General Counsel of National Mediation Board Legal Affairs, David Rosen, TWU General Counsel and TWU Counsel, Rich Edelman to discuss the filing. We were also advised that Ms. Eileen Hennessey, Esq. would be investigating the case for the Board. As we receive more information, we will keep you advised via the Local. I would expect the process might take a few months.

I also learned today that the IAM is circulating a biased contract comparison on the field at our work areas. Apparently they felt it was advantageous to leave out some of the more pertinent detail of their concessions. Why? It is quite obvious our members will not benefit from their full disclosure of work rules, reduced vacation, the inadequate staffing levels or 2010 negotiations. No, we are not giving up on our member’s rights to negotiate OUR agreement and to make the necessary changes to the current USAIR agreement, where necessary, for the benefit of the entire blended workforce.

Our economic analyst assigned to Local 580 is currently compiling the most recent changes to the IAM (USAIR) bankruptcy concessionary agreement, and the Local will distribute a true contract comparison. Our next round of contract discussions with America West is scheduled for the first week of November.

Thank you again for the support and patience given to the Local leadership and the Negotiating Committee.

In Solidarity, Sincerely & Fraternally,

James C. Little
International Executive Vice President
Director Air Transport Division

JCL:cjw opeiu-153 afl-cio

C: G. Yingst
G. Shults
P. Rezler
Local 580 Executive Board