Flight 340 PHL-PHX

BuffaloJoe

Veteran
Aug 17, 2005
Flight 340 PHL-PHX was cancelled yesterday, Jan.21. I heard it was for maintenece. Don't know what broke. My friend was on his way to TUS. Then he got a flight to PHX and he got stuck in PHX, no flight crew. They put him up at a hotel, so he didn't complain. My question is. If a West aircraft breaks down in PHL, East can't fix it?

Flight 340 PHL-PHX was cancelled yesterday, Jan.21. I heard it was for maintenece. Don't know what broke. My friend was on his way to TUS. Then he got a flight to PHX and he got stuck in PHX, no flight crew. They put him up at a hotel, so he didn't complain. My question is. If a West aircraft breaks down in PHL, East can't fix it?
my guess is that East should be able to fix it... could it have been a part that wasn't available? or an item that would take a day or so to fix? i haven't heard anything about east not being able to fix west's a/c... but i could be wrong. someone correct me if i am.

my guess is that East should be able to fix it... could it have been a part that wasn't available? or an item that would take a day or so to fix? i haven't heard anything about east not being able to fix west's a/c... but i could be wrong. someone correct me if i am.
i think i saw that a/c at the gate yesterday with the cowlings up. west does have different types of engines on thier airbuses than what east has. so maybe that could be a reason. 700UW do you know?

i think i saw that a/c at the gate yesterday with the cowlings up. west does have different types of engines on thier airbuses than what east has. so maybe that could be a reason. 700UW do you know?

I thought I remember my mechanic friend telling me that the west side had their own mechanics there. Is that possible?

Not sure if they have a Mechanic in PHL however I doubt it. I think the closest HP Maintenance station to PHL would be JFK.

My bet would be that etops was correct...the different engine types played a factor into the problem, or lack of parts on the east coast for that engine type.

Maybe it was the snow in PHX or someone looking for a closet so they could hang their coat.... :D

HP has/had mechanics in PHL and even have some parts stocked.

HP did have a right engine problem with their aircraft yesterday although I don't know the exact nature of the fault.
I believe they had to wait until early afternoon for replacements parts. When the parts arrived the aircraft was going to be repositioned to the hangar for final repairs.
The West does have several mechanics in PHL and the East provides support when requested. Plans are once the IAM agreement is settled, the remaining HP mechanics will be absorbed into the East headcount.

HP has/had mechanics in PHL and even have some parts stocked.
There are HP mechanics in PHL and it's true that the engine types are different between east and west. Without the training, the west mechanics cannot run an east jet with a different engine type and vice versa.

There are HP mechanics in PHL and it's true that the engine types are different between east and west. Without the training, the west mechanics cannot run an east jet with a different engine type and vice versa.

The techs in phx have been trained and if they have airbus run on the v2500 they can run the cfm's.

HP did have a right engine problem with their aircraft yesterday although I don't know the exact nature of the fault.
I believe they had to wait until early afternoon for replacements parts. When the parts arrived the aircraft was going to be repositioned to the hangar for final repairs.
The West does have several mechanics in PHL and the East provides support when requested. Plans are once the IAM agreement is settled, the remaining HP mechanics will be absorbed into the East headcount.

Problem was an engine-driven hydraulic pump and change kit. Pump needed to come from another station. HP has a few techs there, and a few parts.

Back