Flight Attendant New Hires/Trainee

StewGuy86

Senior
Sep 1, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Visit site
I'm not sure how many (if any) of you have had some of the East new hire FAs on your flights, either with them on their IOE training trips or as full-fledged employees once they've come on line. Either way, please welcome them with open arms and a friendly, helpful attitude. I know it's been a long time since any of us were new, but try if you can to remember what it was like when you were a trainee or new hire yourself. It's a strange new world for them at first and helpful guidance from fellow employees can go a long way toward making them feel welcome AND helping them stay focused by being less nervous. Unfortunately, some of the newbies have been met by rude and hostile FAs who have made them feel like they were a bother, in the way, and unwelcome...and some have even been downright nasty. I can't believe ANY of us would be anything other than thrilled to see new faces on the property, but apparently there are a handful out there who do not. If you're lucky enough to fly with one or more of them, welcome them to US Airways and tell them "thank you" for pushing you up in seniority!

Reactions: 2 people
I'm not sure how many (if any) of you have had some of the East new hire FAs on your flights, either with them on their IOE training trips or as full-fledged employees once they've come on line. Either way, please welcome them with open arms and a friendly, helpful attitude. I know it's been a long time since any of us were new, but try if you can to remember what it was like when you were a trainee or new hire yourself. It's a strange new world for them at first and helpful guidance from fellow employees can go a long way toward making them feel welcome AND helping them stay focused by being less nervous. Unfortunately, some of the newbies have been met by rude and hostile FAs who have made them feel like they were a bother, in the way, and unwelcome...and some have even been downright nasty. I can't believe ANY of us would be anything other than thrilled to see new faces on the property, but apparently there are a handful out there who do not. If you're lucky enough to fly with one or more of them, welcome them to US Airways and tell them "thank you" for pushing you up in seniority!

On principle, I agree with your post, however, I have had the pleasure/displeasure of associating with some of the new hires and some are in
need of an attitude adjustment towards the more seasoned/mature f/a's. Many of the new hires have ego's that their experience and knowledge levels can't cash at this particular moment in time. I do not enjoy, nor do I think some of my colleagues would either, being asked how soon I will be retiring! Obviously, this new hire has not paid attention to the airline industry and it's struggles in the last ten years! A few have even made it known that they will be 'watching' for any and all infractions...apparently they feel writing up your colleagues is a way to get ahead faster. Some of the new hire LODO's need to come down off their pedestal and join the real world as well. I'm not stating that all the new hires have this type of attitude, there are many who are truly here for the love of the job and willing to accept the good, the bad and the ugly that sometimes accompanies it! All I can say at this point is "everyone play nice and fly safe!" Thanks for your time.

Reactions: 2 people
If indeed this is true I'm sure it won't be long before those particular f/a's are put in their place. Everyone is a f/a both new and senior. We all do the same job so senior f/a's shouldn't intimidate ( more likely ) nor should new f/a's try cracking some sort of whip.

" A few have even made it known that they will be 'watching' for any and all infractions...apparently they feel writing up your colleagues is a way to get ahead faster."

If a new hire is foolish enough to do such a thing ---
they will be in for a very rude awakening as the grapevine is alive and well.

They might have heard the story (and if not, ask around) about the misguided new hire who wrote a crew up concerning "creamers".

Anyone remember that?
Is that f/a still around?

Remember the old saying: Do unto others.......
or how about

"Karma"? :rolleyes:

On principle, I agree with your post, however, I have had the pleasure/displeasure of associating with some of the new hires and some are in
need of an attitude adjustment towards the more seasoned/mature f/a's. Many of the new hires have ego's that their experience and knowledge levels can't cash at this particular moment in time. I do not enjoy, nor do I think some of my colleagues would either, being asked how soon I will be retiring! Obviously, this new hire has not paid attention to the airline industry and it's struggles in the last ten years! A few have even made it known that they will be 'watching' for any and all infractions...apparently they feel writing up your colleagues is a way to get ahead faster. Some of the new hire LODO's need to come down off their pedestal and join the real world as well. I'm not stating that all the new hires have this type of attitude, there are many who are truly here for the love of the job and willing to accept the good, the bad and the ugly that sometimes accompanies it! All I can say at this point is "everyone play nice and fly safe!" Thanks for your time.

Sorry to hear that you have had a negative experience with the new hires. I have been fortunate. The new hires I have worked with have been gracious and very professional. They have been friendly with the crew and engaging with the passengers. They may not know where everything is located on the aircraft, but they have been great about trying to figure things out. You don't have to ask whether we are serving a cup or can, we know it will be a cup (they are on probation) and when you mention a coffee/water service or an arrival service, they don't look at you like you have three heads. Their success is our success...our seniority only gets better with each new hire we welcome aboard.

Reactions: 1 person
I had the extreme pleasure to have multiple new hires on their training flights over the past month. They were all fantastic. I can't wait to work with them online. I'd rather work with them than some of the people we currently work with.

Reactions: 1 person

I would love to join your team, I have applied for the East. I am still under review. Do you know if they will be hiring any more for the East?

Hi,
I am excited to be starting training on the 4th, has anyone on here gone through training yet? I was told that even though they said they are not paying during training, after two weeks in you recieve about $100 a week is this true?
Also does anyone know if they supply you with meals during training?
Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Hi,
I am excited to be starting training on the 4th, has anyone on here gone through training yet? I was told that even though they said they are not paying during training, after two weeks in you recieve about $100 a week is this true?
Also does anyone know if they supply you with meals during training?

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Training is unpaid and there are no 'scheduled' meals.