Flight Attendant Tells Passenger to ‘Shut Up’ After Argument Over Pasta

700UW said:
Flight Attendant Tells Passenger to ‘Shut Up’ After Argument Over Pasta

With all the problems in the world today I'm sure glad that one got top billing.

For the record, we used to take preferences forward - aft or aft - forward depending on whether the flight number was odd or even.  Now that flight numbers are being used for round trip flights and even more (see AA1584 ORD-LAS-PHX-MCI) we go by direction of flight and whether a time zone has been crossed.  I keep a reminder on my phone because I can never remember.

MK

And then of course the pre-ordering impacts things, too.  Are a lot of people using that?

It's been my experience that a number of the F/C passengers use and like the pre-order at check-in feature.  It gives them up to 24 hours head start on the flight and the meal.  One told me he liked the feature most because if both entrees are something he's had until he's sick of them, he can plan to bring something to eat with him.

The only problem I've discovered is that then some of them can't remember whether they pre-ordered or what they ordered.  They then want to reconsider (which of course throws the catering out of balance  because if 10 people out of 16 pre-ordered the chicken, there won't be more than one or two (if any) unclaimed chicken entrees.)

USFlyer said:
And then of course the pre-ordering impacts things, too.  Are a lot of people using that?

Yes.  I work FC almost exclusively and usually from two to six or sometimes more people pre-order meals.  Occasionally people look at me and say they have no recollection of ordering chicken or whatever, and then there are those who swear they did and they aren't on the list. 

MK

I'm glad I work with bags and don't have to deal directly with the public. You'd be seeing me in these articles and videos! 

Reactions: 4 people
kirkpatrick said:

Yes.  I work FC almost exclusively and usually from two to six or sometimes more people pre-order meals.  Occasionally people look at me and say they have no recollection of ordering chicken or whatever, and then there are those who swear they did and they aren't on the list. 

MK

There should be a way for the passenger who orders a specific meal to have that shown on his/her boarding pass as part of the reservation.  Not that it would make any difference at all once the flight departed.  At least the customer couldn't claim ordering one, or could prove that he/she did.  Empowering the customer in that way would begin to force the company to actually live up to its promise to the customer.

I think that is unnecessary.  It's not a question of the company not "living up to its promise."  It's a question of the passenger trying to claim something that is not true.  The system works rather well and is programmed well.  The ones who claim that they pre-ordered (when they did no such thing) don't happen that often, but I just tell them they need to get in touch with Customer Service and let them know that there is a programming error.  And, that's only if all of the entree that this customer wants is already spoken for.  Unless he/she is #16 of 16 passengers--all of whom are partaking of a meal--there is almost always still a choice.  I'm often pleasantly surprised that once preferences are taken everyone got a choice.  I get to the last two passengers and it's a little spooky how often there is one of each entree left. I tell them this and indicate which passenger has first choice.  It's amazing how often the passenger with the choice says "I don't care" and asks the other passenger if he has a preference.

The only way to guarantee that everyone is happy every time is to cater 16 of each entree;  not only a waste of money, but then the flight attendants would get fed every leg with the leftovers.  I have enough problem controlling my weight as it is, thank you.  :lol:

Reactions: 4 people
jimntx said:
I think that is unnecessary.  It's not a question of the company not "living up to its promise."  It's a question of the passenger trying to claim something that is not true.  The system works rather well and is programmed well.  The ones who claim that they pre-ordered (when they did no such thing) don't happen that often, but I just tell them they need to get in touch with Customer Service and let them know that there is a programming error.  And, that's only if all of the entree that this customer wants is already spoken for.  Unless he/she is #16 of 16 passengers--all of whom are partaking of a meal--there is almost always still a choice.  I'm often pleasantly surprised that once preferences are taken everyone got a choice.  I get to the last two passengers and it's a little spooky how often there is one of each entree left. I tell them this and indicate which passenger has first choice.  It's amazing how often the passenger with the choice says "I don't care" and asks the other passenger if he has a preference.

The only way to guarantee that everyone is happy every time is to cater 16 of each entree;  not only a waste of money, but then the flight attendants would get fed every leg with the leftovers.  I have enough problem controlling my weight as it is, thank you.   :lol:

On the contrary.  It is definitely necessary.

Although I did not mention it since my post was customer oriented, having a notation on the boarding pass cuts both ways:

"Excuse me, Miss, I pre-ordered the duck entree."

"Yes, sir.  May I see your boarding pass?"  IOW, "No tickee, no shirtee!"

Without the notation, the customer is S.O.L. as far as any credibility is concerned.

What should be a fairly simple programming change can deflate this entire situation for the company.  The New AA IT departent should have no problem implementing it by 2035, or so.

Jeepney said:

Although I did not mention it since my post was customer oriented, having a notation on the boarding pass cuts both ways:

Without the notation, the customer is S.O.L. as far as any credibility is concerned.

What should be a fairly simple programming change can deflate this entire situation for the company.  The New AA IT departent should have no problem implementing it by 2035, or so.
I tend to agree with Jeepney on this one. It seems like a good idea. Maybe someone can share with us what other airlines are doing w/r/t meal pre-ordering?

The passenger who would try to pull a fast one in the pre-ordering game--whether "I did pre-order" when they didn't or "I ordered the chicken, not the pasta"--would not be at all confused by facts--such as what's printed on a boarding pass.  They would insist that the boarding pass is in error also.  They have no problem saying that today when they have an aisle seat on the BP, but insist they were told it was a window seat, and you know the gate agent has been around since we ran the route with a wagon train and is one of the best we have; so, you know the passenger was "told" no such thing.. :lol:

Reactions: 2 people
Jeepney said:

That should be built into an app giving you details on your flight. If you're flying first class all the items you require could be preordered through a meal menu that needs to be submitted say 3 hours before departure. That way you could have multiple choices rather than 2. If a passenger doesn't place an order than the system would default back to 2 standard options for the flight.

I'll take the Fillet Minon with a side of Roasted Potatoes and String Beans, no Salad. My choice of beverage with my meal also ordered and Dessert Pistacio Ice cream with Walnuts. Now the FA won't have to ask me any questions about what meal I want. I could maybe even order a pre meal beverage of choice? It would make the process faster and smoother and maybe less stressful on the FA.

Shouldn't be too difficult to implement.

kirkpatrick said:

MK

This happened to me once.  I pre-ordered online, but the selection wasn't on the printed manifest.  The flight attendant checked her iPad (or whatever the electronic devices are) and saw my order there ... it just wasn't printed for some reason.

Jeepney said:

At least the customer couldn't claim ordering one, or could prove that he/she did.

If the information is in the computer system, then it shows up in the appropriate place on the flight attendant tablet.  It also shows on the seat map available in CCI on the Flight Service website and on the final paperwork the agent gives to number 1.  On my previous trip I had a passenger swear he had ordered a meal and it didn't show up anywhere, so I can only assume it wasn't in the system and wouldn't have shown up on a boarding pass if that were the procedure.

It should be pointed out to the passengers that on short domestic legs like LGA-ORD special meals, meaning kosher, gluten free, vegetarian, etc, are not available.  This guy kept insisting he had hit the "gluten free" button but that option is only available on transcons and long international flights.

One of the entrees is always vegetarian, however.  For breakfast it's usually oatmeal or French toast, lunch normally has a large salad with chicken breast on the side plus a pasta dish or the lentil chili with polenta (love that meal).

MK

WeAAsles said:
That should be built into an app giving you details on your flight. If you're flying first class all the items you require could be preordered through a meal menu that needs to be submitted say 3 hours before departure. That way you could have multiple choices rather than 2. If a passenger doesn't place an order than the system would default back to 2 standard options for the flight.

I'll take the Fillet Minon with a side of Roasted Potatoes and String Beans, no Salad. My choice of beverage with my meal also ordered and Dessert Pistacio Ice cream with Walnuts. Now the FA won't have to ask me any questions about what meal I want. I could maybe even order a pre meal beverage of choice? It would make the process faster and smoother and maybe less stressful on the FA.

Shouldn't be too difficult to implement.
WeAAsles,  you have a much higher opinion of the catering staff than deserved.  You're expecting them to prepare and deliver to the airplane an entree ordered 3 hours before departure???!!!  Reality check:  The catering staff seems incapable of grasping the concept that our "lovely" paper tray liners should not be placed on a soaking wet, straight out of the dishwasher tray.  Or, that of the two choices if one of the entrees is a large salad with a chicken breast on the side then EVERY salad entree needs to have the chicken breast on the side, not just most of them.  I realize such thinking approaches rocket science, but there it is.