Flight Attendant Tells Passenger to ‘Shut Up’ After Argument Over Pasta

kirkpatrick said:

It should be pointed out to the passengers that on short domestic legs like LGA-ORD special meals, meaning kosher, gluten free, vegetarian, etc, are not available.  This guy kept insisting he had hit the "gluten free" button but that option is only available on transcons and long international flights.

MK
We have not offered special meals on domestic flights (other than transcons) since shortly after 9/11.  It was an expensive, time-consuming process that had little benefit for the company--especially after all the other airlines quit offering them as a way of cutting expenses and staying in business.

However, because they are still offered on transcons and International, some passengers will insist that they system or the reservations clerk told them they could have their kosher or gluten-free or whatever meal.  I've even had coach passengers tell me that they ordered a special meal when we haven't offered any tray meals of any kind in coach since shortly after the end of the last Ice Age.

P.S.  Agree with you 100% about the lentil chili with polenta.  That is one of the truly good meals offered in-flight.

jimntx said:
WeAAsles,  you have a much higher opinion of the catering staff than deserved.  You're expecting them to prepare and deliver to the airplane an entree ordered 3 hours before departure???!!!  Reality check:  The catering staff seems incapable of grasping the concept that our "lovely" paper tray liners should not be placed on a soaking wet, straight out of the dishwasher tray.  Or, that of the two choices if one of the entrees is a large salad with a chicken breast on the side then EVERY salad entree needs to have the chicken breast on the side, not just most of them.  I realize such thinking approaches rocket science, but there it is.
Maybe you should ask for extra liners and prep them yourself, because we all know a soggy tray liner will ruin the experience.

Reactions: 1 person
They already give us extra liners very carefully placed on the wet trays.  Soaked through 3 and 4 layers of paper.  Oh, and thanks for thinking up more work for the flight attendants to do that wouldn't be necessary if others would do their jobs. :lol:

Reactions: 4 people
jimntx said:
They already give us extra liners very carefully placed on the wet trays.  Soaked through 3 and 4 layers of paper.  Oh, and thanks for thinking up more work for the flight attendants to do that wouldn't be necessary if others would do their jobs. :lol:
You brought this very subject up some time ago, now I do appreciate you relentless pursuit for perfection, but the real reality is that even if a few cogs are missing from this giant machinery called American Airlines, it still churns on. Personally I don't worry over the silly or mundane. Larger and much more complex issues still plague AAL. All of which, I have no cure for.

Reactions: 2 people
Well, you go right ahead dealing with those larger and much more complex issues.  They won't matter much if people quit paying for F/C seats because someone decides that F/C service is silly and mundane and therefore not worth worrying about passenger complaints.

jimntx said:
WeAAsles,  you have a much higher opinion of the catering staff than deserved.  You're expecting them to prepare and deliver to the airplane an entree ordered 3 hours before departure???!!!  Reality check:  The catering staff seems incapable of grasping the concept that our "lovely" paper tray liners should not be placed on a soaking wet, straight out of the dishwasher tray.  Or, that of the two choices if one of the entrees is a large salad with a chicken breast on the side then EVERY salad entree needs to have the chicken breast on the side, not just most of them.  I realize such thinking approaches rocket science, but there it is.
And another reason why I'm a proponent of the company bringing all the jobs they can back in house to regain or maintain quality control. Now that passengers have less choices for who to fly with all the mergers the only way we're going to be able to compete is through the best customer service or experience they can give, especially for our most loyal customers or ones that paid a premium price.

Honestly something like that would annoy the hell out of me. Not as much because of the wet paper but more because it's a sign of a careless company that's not paying attention to simple details. It's a sign to me sitting in that very expensive chair that I'm really not that important. Also why the Middle East carriers are cleaning our clocks with high value customers. Say what you will about whatever money they might get from their Governments. Attention to detail goes a long way.

If AA really wants to "become" a Premium service carrier they'll bring more jobs back inhouse where they might be able to be more accountable to their customers?

Reactions: 3 people
jimntx said:
Well, you go right ahead dealing with those larger and much more complex issues.  They won't matter much if people quit paying for F/C seats because someone decides that F/C service is silly and mundane and therefore not worth worrying about passenger complaints.
100% correct. Supposedly I heard that the new management has a philosophy that if you take care of the little things, the big things will take care of themselves?

I know after a merger like the one we went and are still going through that takes time. But they should put 100% of their focus on high value customers first and then they can work on everyone else.

F/C needs to get back to being a special premium experience, not just a seat that has more legroom and you get out the front door faster.

Reactions: 3 people
bob@las-AA said:
You brought this very subject up some time ago, now I do appreciate you relentless pursuit for perfection, but the real reality is that even if a few cogs are missing from this giant machinery called American Airlines, it still churns on. Personally I don't worry over the silly or mundane. Larger and much more complex issues still plague AAL. All of which, I have no cure for.
Bob what happens if you don't tie your shoes? A minor detail item in putting on your clothes for the day.

You don't tie your shoes, you wind up falling flat on your face.

Reactions: 2 people
WeAAsles said:
And another reason why I'm a proponent of the company bringing all the jobs they can back in house to regain or maintain quality control. Now that passengers have less choices for who to fly with all the mergers the only way we're going to be able to compete is through the best customer service or experience they can give, especially for our most loyal customers or ones that paid a premium price.

Honestly something like that would annoy the hell out of me. Not as much because of the wet paper but more because it's a sign of a careless company that's not paying attention to simple details. It's a sign to me sitting in that very expensive chair that I'm really not that important. Also why the Middle East carriers are cleaning our clocks with high value customers. Say what you will about whatever money they might get from their Governments. Attention to detail goes a long way.

If AA really wants to "become" a Premium service carrier they'll bring more jobs back inhouse where they might be able to be more accountable to their customers?

Exactly.  But especially in overseas locations.  The contractors there can be entirely too arrogant and useless.  Last summer Swissport serviced our BCN flights and they did a horrible job.  This year it works much better with Iberia doing the service.  In DUB we had a 45 minute delay last week because Swissport there didn't start loading baggage and cargo until departure time.  I would love to think that they take a big financial penalty for such indifferent service, but I doubt it.

WeAAsles said:

The word "quality control" is best used when building the space shuttle. But this conversation is going off topic, start a new thread.

Reactions: 1 person
bob@las-AA said:
The word "quality control" is best used when building the space shuttle. But this conversation is going off topic, start a new thread.
Back on topic. That FA certainly shouldn't have done what he did but on the other hand none of us saw what occurred from start to finish. And maybe if catering wasn't inept it wouldn't have happened in the first place? Maybe?

But FA's shouldn't be threatening to have anyone arrested over an argument about food. That was a little overzealous if you ask me.

WeAAsles said:
Back on topic. That FA certainly shouldn't have done what he did but on the other hand none of us saw what occurred from start to finish. And maybe if catering wasn't inept it wouldn't have happened in the first place? Maybe?

But FA's shouldn't be threatening to have anyone arrested over an argument about food. That was a little overzealous if you ask me.

Yeah.  Exactly. 

And we all have good days and bad days.  Flight attendants are vetted at hiring for those people who have mostly good days when it comes to working with the mostly (but not entirely) brain-free traveling public.

Me?  Every day I might have to work that cabin would be a bad day for me.  (That's why they lock me behind a door.)  I would get fired on my first day as a flight attendant because it would for me, by definition, be a bad day.

I live in constant awe at these women and men who do the job of a flight attendant.  Would that God have given me just 1% of their patience in dealing with the small percentage of a**h***s who board airliners.