Flight Attendants fired

No surprise from a company that wont hire a smoker. Alaska is probally run by a bunch of republicans. If I were them I would have a law suit.

Well, the reality is that when you are still a probationary employee, yes you DO have to watch what you say and do--whether it's Alaska Airlines or Burger King.

During one's probationary period, almost any company can fire you for parting your hair wrong, much less for actions that the company deems "detrimental." And, before anyone starts, yes it is up the organization to define what it deems detrimental. In big business, the Golden Rule is "He who has the gold, makes the rules." :lol:

During the probationary period, the new employees were not eligible for union representation. Two other people were disciplined for their MySpace accounts, both of whom were long term, unionized employees.

Not true, if they are paying dues they are entitled to union representation and covered under the contract.

Most contracts allow for a "probationary period" where the standards for dismissal are much lower than "Just Cause" but the member is still entitled to representation.

Not true, if they are paying dues they are entitled to union representation and covered under the contract.

Most contracts allow for a "probationary period" where the standards for dismissal are much lower than "Just Cause" but the member is still entitled to representation.

Not true. At least at AA. Under the Blessed Order of the Perpetually-Trip Removed (aka, the APFA). It is made quite clear to us by both the company and the union that when you are a probationary employee, if you are fired, there is nothing the APFA can or will do to defend you. And, yes dues deduction started from my very first paycheck.

Not true. At least at AA. Under the Blessed Order of the Perpetually-Trip Removed (aka, the APFA). It is made quite clear to us by both the company and the union that when you are a probationary employee, if you are fired, there is nothing the APFA can or will do to defend you. And, yes dues deduction started from my very first paycheck.

at US i have been paying union dues since the day i, and had to wait the 6 months of probation for the union to help me, if i needed it.

at US i have been paying union dues since the day i, and had to wait the 6 months of probation for the union to help me, if i needed it.

It's a closed shop....you have to join the Union to work there....you have to pay dues if you are a Union member....you have to abide by the contract if you are a Union member....the contract says you are not protected during your probation....kind of a catch 22.

Total B. S.

...pictures of drinking. SO What. Drinking is a LEGAL ACTIVITY. I HOPE THEY HIRE LAWYERS.

only stating opinions

YOU GUYS ARE ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL STUPID!!!!

seriously...
SOCIETY Changes (PERIOD)
young people now have a myspace
big effin deal....so what if they drink, so what if they have pictures of them in their uniform. I work at abercrombie and fitch and part of my job is to wear their clothes to work.
I have a myspace with my abercrombie and fitch clothes on and on the quote for the picture it says something very durogatory
should I get fired for it? NO.

please...

HERES TO ALL YOU OLD PEOPLE WITH A STICK UP YOU BEEE-HIND:

YOU ALL DID DRUGS AND HAD LOTS OF SEX IN THE 6O'S AND IM SURE IF COMPUTERS EXISTED BACK THEN, THEN EVERY LAST ONE OF YOU WOULD NOT ONLY BE FIRED FROM YOU JOB BUT IN JAIL.

so deal with the fact that us YOUNG people have an effin myspace and we can put whatever F&*( we want on it.

its simple:
GROW UP AND MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS

YOU GUYS ARE ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL STUPID!!!!

seriously...
SOCIETY Changes (PERIOD)
young people now have a myspace
big effin deal....so what if they drink, so what if they have pictures of them in their uniform. I work at abercrombie and fitch and part of my job is to wear their clothes to work.
I have a myspace with my abercrombie and fitch clothes on and on the quote for the picture it says something very durogatory
should I get fired for it? NO.

please...

HERES TO ALL YOU OLD PEOPLE WITH A STICK UP YOU BEEE-HIND:

YOU ALL DID DRUGS AND HAD LOTS OF SEX IN THE 6O'S AND IM SURE IF COMPUTERS EXISTED BACK THEN, THEN EVERY LAST ONE OF YOU WOULD NOT ONLY BE FIRED FROM YOU JOB BUT IN JAIL.

so deal with the fact that us YOUNG people have an effin myspace and we can put whatever F&*( we want on it.

its simple:
GROW UP AND MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS

That is why you can be fired. Is YOUNG suppose to give you a special ticket to be stupid? You need a class in common sense.

Well at Local 562 we provided representation for probationary employees. How can you collect dues and then say they are not protected under the contract? The fact is they are protected as far as wages, benifits, work rules etc, the exception is that they do not fall under the just cause clause because the contract gives the company a grace period to determine if the employee is suitable for the company. We had probationary employees who were terminated brought back after the union represented the employee and made arguements in the employees behalf. If the company had pressed the issue they probably would have won in arbitration but they would have lost a lot of good will from the membership due to the unfairness of their actions. We made it clear that every member would be enlightened as to the circumstances leading up to the termination.

If a person paying dues is terminated and no one from the union attempts to represent them they have a good case for a DFR suit.

Well at Local 562 we provided representation for probationary employees. How can you collect dues and then say they are not protected under the contract? The fact is they are protected as far as wages, benifits, work rules etc, the exception is that they do not fall under the just cause clause because the contract gives the company a grace period to determine if the employee is suitable for the company. We had probationary employees who were terminated brought back after the union represented the employee and made arguements in the employees behalf. If the company had pressed the issue they probably would have won in arbitration but they would have lost a lot of good will from the membership due to the unfairness of their actions. We made it clear that every member would be enlightened as to the circumstances leading up to the termination.

If a person paying dues is terminated and no one from the union attempts to represent them they have a good case for a DFR suit.

During the probationary period you are provided with Union representation, it does NOT provide you with the full protection of the contract. You may be fired for "just cause" which is pretty much anything.

Different story after probation. You have a grievance process and the rules of the contract. Much more difficult to fire someone for infractions.

During the probationary period you are provided with Union representation, it does NOT provide you with the full protection of the contract.

You are pretty much covered by everything except "Just Cause". Pay rates, OT, bidding, etc are all in the contract and apply. For instnace the company must pay you the rates as stipultated in the contract even while on probation.

You may be fired for "just cause" which is pretty much anything.

Wrong again, "Just Cause" means that the charges must be clear and fair. Typically it must meet seven standards, known as the "Seven Tests of Just Cause".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just_cause

http://www.dcna.org/documents/Just_Cause.pdf