Flu shots for crew & Emergency Health Measures at USAIRWAYS

Poug Darker

Senior
Jul 12, 2006
CNN says that a new strain of flu has perculated in Mexico and might become a pandemic.
Tamiflu is a prescription drug that helps prevent flu in people exposed to the flu.
Is LCC going to innoculate the crews that most certainly will be exposed to this?
Something to think about and maybe consult with your health care professional about.
But in the meantime, be cautious: wash your hands, don't touch your face, and if you do have the flu, stay home.
Be well.

Just saw that a British Airways Cabin Crew member was admitted to hospital on suspicion of the swine flu in London. The flight attendants will be very susceptible and I think USAirways should take preventative measures in an over abundance of caution on this. Masks at the least. My aunt is a scientist at the CDC in Atlanta. She called and said to make sure we wash often, preferable that we wear masks to Mexico and just be vigilant. If you feel sick go to the DR but DO NOT come to work. And I am sorry to you gals that fly 190 hours....use your sick bank.

There are no vaccines for this flu strain. Because it evolved recently from animals, humans will have little, if any, immunity. It will definitely be the worst flu you ever had.

Other than that... RELAX. It's just nature's way of culling the herd.

Just saw that a British Airways Cabin Crew member was admitted to hospital on suspicion of the swine flu in London. The flight attendants will be very susceptible and I think USAirways should take preventative measures in an over abundance of caution on this. Masks at the least. My aunt is a scientist at the CDC in Atlanta. She called and said to make sure we wash often, preferable that we wear masks to Mexico and just be vigilant. If you feel sick go to the DR but DO NOT come to work. And I am sorry to you gals that fly 190 hours....use your sick bank.

I just got in from Mexico City tonight, everyone in the MEX airport had on blue surgical masks. All the passengers coming on board our plane were wearing surgical masks. I was down there yesterday and the day before as well..everything was normal. Today it was very spooky.

and, you did not wear a mask, also? I mean, if you enter a community where everyone is wearing masks, would not a self-protection gene kick in? I am not saying you should follow lemmings off a cliff, but, prudence would seem a survival component here.

Is LCC going to innoculate the crews that most certainly will be exposed to this?

There is no vaccine with which to be innoculated. If one could be developed, the pandemic would probably be long over before it could be manufactured in sufficient quantities to do anything.

Since this has hit the major news outlets, my guess is that (without even researching,) there is now a world-wide shortage of Tamiflu, the prices have skyrocketed and the manufacturer cannot even keep up with even 10% of the demand.

Wash you hands a lot. That's about all we have.

Emergency health measures at US airways …

To U.S Airways management

First of all , and I’m not shy about saying it … you should rescind the sick based point system for the duration of this health crisis …. ( there is a crisis as stated by the CDC ) ….

No workers ANYWHERE at this company should be penalized for calling in sick and using their sick days during this national emergency , to do otherwise would be to encourage SICK individuals to come to work and spread any diseases they may have ..

Secondly we should consider having a plan ready to equip our front line workers such as pilots , gate agents and rampers with face masks when and if the situation merits …

That is all ..

and, you did not wear a mask, also? I mean, if you enter a community where everyone is wearing masks, would not a self-protection gene kick in? I am not saying you should follow lemmings off a cliff, but, prudence would seem a survival component here.

The Company would probably suspend anyone on the crew caught or reported to be wearing a mask. They threatened this several years ago when the SARS Virus was the hot topic.

If I need to wear a mask I will wear one. Let them just try to remove me or take action against me for it. I will be on the horn with CNN, MSNBC, CBS and ABC so fast it will make legals head spin.

Think the morale has sunk low enough for a large percentage of F/A's to give Management the one finger salute?
Way past time, IMHO.

In fact, there is a good probability that there will be a flight deck crew-member who would be happy to indicate the same passion over that very issue.

I see that the water is approaching the boiling point.

Emergency health measures at US airways
To U.S Airways management
First of all , and I’m not shy about saying it … you should rescind the sick based point system for the duration of this health crisis …. ( there is a crisis as stated by the CDC ) ….
No workers ANYWHERE at this company should be penalized for calling in sick and using their sick days during this national emergency , to do otherwise would be to encourage SICK individuals to come to work and spread any diseases they may have ..
Secondly we should consider having a plan ready to equip our front line workers such as pilots , gate agents and rampers with face masks when and if the situation merits …
That is all ..

What happened to one of your earlier posts......."JUST BE THANKFUL YOU HAVE JOB" !!!!!!!
You just don't get it!!!! They really don't care!! U scared of getting sick...quit!!! :up:

You would think a plan would be in place as we touch, feel and smell every bag, ticket, boarding pass and passengers breathing all over us.

I guess this is another tragedy the company will make money on. No worry about terminations, severence etc., if we all drop like flies.

I say the customer service agents wear masks and gloves. The ramp ditto.

What happened to one of your earlier posts......."JUST BE THANKFUL YOU HAVE JOB" !!!!!!!
You just don't get it!!!! They really don't care!! U scared of getting sick...quit!!! :up:

Well i think if you want to make them care then you have to speak their language ...

$$$$$$$$ $$$$$ $$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$ $$ $$$$$$$ $$$ $$$$$$ $$$$$$$

You see right there I spoke their langue . That was my suggestion that US Airways be ready at a moments notice to take EXTREAM health precautions in order to reassure our pax … I want all of you to turn on CNN and look at what’s going on in Mexico … It’s a ghost town in Mexico city …people are afraid to travel etc … it’s only going to be a matter of time before that situation happens here in the states …

What I think we should do are buy TONS and TONS of surgical masks and have them set out for the flying public the same way the TSA has those little socks …. If people are worried they can WEAR the face mask , if not they don’t have too .. We should require all of our pilots and FA’S to wear face masks on every plane and present the image of an airline that is clean and sterile .. Just imagine a pax walking into the airport seeing every single ticket agent with a mask and gloves on … then as they wait for their planes to come in and out they see the rampers with masks on as well … and finally once they board ,the entire crew is masked and gloved …. Some might say that image is frightening , but I think in a possible pandemic that would actually be REASSURING …

So in a nut shell these are my bulletin points ..

1. Every single US airways worker should be required to wear a face mask N95 grade ….the flying public gets the cheaper stuff …

2. Planes should sit on the ground for a longer amount of time and we should clean them more thoroughly ….

...there is a crisis as stated by the CDC
Actually, the CDC has stopped short of referring to it as a crisis. They do, however, believe it is "serious". The media will have you believe it's the black plague and to lock your doors and put a bubble around your house.

http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/news/200...utbreak-serious

http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/investigation.htm

As with any airborne virus - there are a number of steps to take to mitigate potential transmission to you from another person. Carry a personal bottle of sanitizer (one that can get through security check points). If you come in contact with people directly, wash your hands and/or sanitize immediately.

If you come down with flu-like symptoms, including respiratory problems, fever, etc. go see a doctor. If you are out of town, look for a CVS with a minute clinic. They are popping up everywhere and provide a great place to drop in and get checked out. I don't really see how the company is going to chase you down for reporting sick - especially if you have the documentation showing you went for treatment (whether you actually ended up testing positive for the specific swine flu virus or something else).

Latest posts