FMLA

ekjkj

Feb 16, 2006
Does anyone know what code specific code is needed to call in FMLA sick for the new AARS call off line?

in my station we just call the sick line and specify FMLA you can check your FMLA Status which should tell you the exact code to use when using FMLA

The Frequently Missing or Late Act? I think a third of the PHX ramp had it and usually they would just call the sick line leave name, employee number, shift times and say, "FMLA" and that was about it.

I knew one guy who would call in whenever he had automotive repair work scheduled and that's how he called in. Maybe his car was a registered dependent.

FMLA is a federal law and not a company or union thing. It doesn't even start until you miss 5 consecutive days of work. Do the unions just use the term for sick time?

The Frequently Missing or Late Act? I think a third of the PHX ramp had it and usually they would just call the sick line leave name, employee number, shift times and say, "FMLA" and that was about it.

AKA the Friday/Monday Leave Act. I know of one guy who would use it if he walked in and didn't like the gate or team he was assigned to. In all seriousness though, there are quite a few people that really do need it, and are often unfairly lumped into the category of FMLA abusers.

The way you've described it, from what I understand, is all you're required to do and the company has to honor it.

Last edited:

I knew one guy who would call in whenever he had automotive repair work scheduled and that's how he called in. Maybe his car was a registered dependent.
You mean people are abusing a government program?

Say it isn't so!

AKA the Friday/Monday Leave Act.
:D

FMLA is a federal law and not a company or union thing. It doesn't even start until you miss 5 consecutive days of work. Do the unions just use the term for sick time?
Where do you get that you have to miss 5 days before FMLA kicks in? Being a federal program, it should be equal rules and regs across the board. We can use FMLA on day one, not sure what you are talking about when you said you have to miss 5 days before FMLA kicks in.

That's what I thought robbed, same here. I wonder if he was thinking about either short term or long term disability?

If you don't currently have FMLA and get an illness, for it to be covered under FMLA laws, it must be 5 days or more. Some people have an FMLA condition and go get pre approved to use FMLA when that condition flares up. They can use that intermittently, i.e., one day at a time. There is block leave FMLA too. That is for a qualifying condition that lasts 5 days or more but goes away eventually.

P. Rez

Some states, such as Massachusetts, have sick time laws. Most full time workers get 5 days per year. It is my understanding that the first 5 days called in sick will be coded as state law time off before FMLA kicks in. The state time must be exhausted first.

If you don't currently have FMLA and get an illness, for it to be covered under FMLA laws, it must be 5 days or more. Some people have an FMLA condition and go get pre approved to use FMLA when that condition flares up. They can use that intermittently, i.e., one day at a time. There is block leave FMLA too. That is for a qualifying condition that lasts 5 days or more but goes away eventually.

P. Rez
I have filled out and helped fill out numerous amounts of FMLA paperwork and I have never once ran across anything mentioning about it must be 5 days or more. I do know it's for an on going condition. Also can be used for other family members when they need care giver while down and out. I will do some extra research on FMLA and see what I can come up with on that 5 day rule you speak of.

AKA the Friday/Monday Leave Act

With AA's crap vacation and sick policy can you really blame them? Not to mention the harassment one has to endure for using sick time.

Honestly with the CS policy they should have very little sick abuse. Too bad not all locations and shops have it available.

All that the FMLA language does is define the minimum conditions on when an employee can take leave up to 12 weeks per year.

SWAAMT, it's entirely possible that employers can apply less strict interpretations of FMLA. The only place Federal law trumps company policy is when it comes to the bare minimums.

There's nothing mandated in the Act on which says you can or can't be forced to use up your sick bank when you declare FMLA, so AA can force that in lieu of unpaid time off.

There's also nothing "requiring" leave to be 5 days or greater. There are some duration limits for outpatient type care, but most conditions are covered for any duration:

"Serious health condition" means an illness, injury, impairment, or physical or mental condition that involves:
  • any period of incapacity or treatment connected with inpatient care (i.e., an overnight stay) in a hospital, hospice, or residential medical care facility; or
  • a period of incapacity requiring absence of more than three calendar days from work, school, or other regular daily activities that also involves continuing treatment by (or under the supervision of) a health care provider; or
  • any period of incapacity due to pregnancy, or for prenatal care; or
  • any period of incapacity (or treatment therefore) due to a chronic serious health condition (e.g., asthma, diabetes, epilepsy, etc.); or
  • a period of incapacity that is permanent or long-term due to a condition for which treatment may not be effective (e.g., Alzheimer's, stroke, terminal diseases, etc.); or,
  • any absences to receive multiple treatments (including any period of recovery therefrom) by, or on referral by, a health care provider for a condition that likely would result in incapacity of more than three consecutive days if left untreated (e.g., chemotherapy, physical therapy, dialysis, etc.).

Latest posts