Frustration

Corsair

Nov 9, 2004
OK pilots, I am asking for some advice here. First, has anyone here ever had a spouse or partner who is really resistant to flying? How did you handle it?

Mine claims it is the money, but I know this is not the case.

Help!
7.gif

Corsair, I'm a little thick, but I don't know whether you mean she hates flying, as in paying big bucks, or the industry, because the bucks don't 'trickle down' to the lowly drivers.
10.gif

Mine doesn`t mind flying if she`s going to Hawaii! However, she does not like me flying test flights or even sked flights to rescue an a/c somewhere.

Sorry, I wasn't too clear. I hold a PPL with some time completed toward my CPL.

My spouse does not like me flying because she says it costs too much, but I know that isn't the case because I can afford to fly once or twice a month.

Just wondering if anyone else has run into this problem.

So again, help
7.gif

Yea, corsair, it can be a problem. We all get bugged over money now and again.

One common problem is that she probably hasn't been very involved in much of your flying since it's been mostly training or short local trips.

One thing to try is to plan your short trips to include her - things like flying to a little strip near something she has an interest in like a golf course, picturesque little town or more remote hiking area. Another idea is fly to another town in the evening and have a romantic little dinner before returning in the dusk (or just after if you have a night rating). The view of the sunset can be very pretty and an ideal way to cap the evening (especially if you have an autopilot
3.gif
2.gif

Another possiblity is to perhaps plan a longer trip (more $$$ so have to plan ahead) to go somewhere she has always wanted or to visit relatives that are just a bit too far to drive but reachable in a small plane. Of course those kind of plans can be troublesome if the weather doesn't cooperate.

Whatever you do, I think the key is get her to see the value and benefit of being able to use a plane to accomplish other things she wants or enjoys.

Good ideas 5x5. I take my wife out for pie at Lindsay... She likes that. Planning on a leaf tour in the fall, I figure that will be pretty, and she will enjoy it.

If you can, plan on taking a few friends along too for a flight, that way their enthusiam tends to rub off on your partner. Its hard for her to be down when the passengers are all upbeat and going..."This is so cool."

I also have my wife do lookout for planes. Keeps her involved, makes her feel like she she is contributing, plus she is really really good at it. She is too nervous to put her hands on the control column for long, I think she believes that the plane will instantly fall out of the sky.

Not sure what the real secret is. But my wife has been better than I thought, and I have likely given her some of my worst passenger'd landings. I guess in the end, its about building trust, and them meeting you half way on something you love doing.

Latest posts

Back