Fuel costs could 'devastate' airlines

Ran across this on CNN/Money this morning.

Article Here

No Hock, Sherlock!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yes jimntx, I found this article to be VERY interesting in a number of ways.

First CNN is based in ATLANTA(I seriously doubt that "they" would be mentioning the "home town boys", in any light, without their FACTS straight.

SECOND,

Nowhere did it mention AMERICAN..in ORD,..OR DFW.

Third,

No mention of NW in DTW..or MSP.

jim, if I recall correctly, NW has one of the best balance sheets in the Industry(SOMEONE PLZ. tell me again WHY NW needs to SELL their SOUL to DELTA) ??

AMERICAN is sitting on a Fortune of "Do-Re-Mi" $$$$$

And it's NO Secret, to ANYONE who's been PAYING ATTENTION, that CO and UAL are on the Light Side $$$ as it pertains to "rainy day" funds.

The INTERESTING article goes further by saying that BANKRUPT carriers will face a Virtual IMPOSSIBILITY of getting $$$$$ a second/third or forth time around.

(Obviously, you and I KNOW that AA has NEVER seen the Inside of a BK court, and given a 96% FULLY FUNDED Defined Benefit Pension Plan, probably Never WILL see BK)

jim, one thing is CRYSTAL CLEAR.

Once the bottom 1/2 of the "6" go BELLY UP, the Survivors won't be able to get their hands on ENOUGH A/C, flight crews etc. to meet the demand of the USA flying needs.

If you become suddenly furloughed,...you may NOT be furloughed for LONG !

In Poker term,..the player with THE MOST CHIPS(in Texas hold um') gets to sit at the table LONGER than those with a "lesser stack" !!!!!!!!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yes jimntx, I found this article to be VERY interesting in a number of ways.

First CNN is based in ATLANTA(I seriously doubt that "they" would be mentioning the "home town boys", in any light, without their FACTS straight.

SECOND,

Nowhere did it mention AMERICAN..in ORD,..OR DFW.

Third,

No mention of NW in DTW..or MSP.

jim, if I recall correctly, NW has one of the best balance sheets in the Industry(SOMEONE PLZ. tell me again WHY NW needs to SELL their SOUL to DELTA) ??

AMERICAN is sitting on a Fortune of "Do-Re-Mi" $$$$$

And it's NO Secret, to ANYONE who's been PAYING ATTENTION, that CO and UAL are on the Light Side $$$ as it pertains to "rainy day" funds.

The INTERESTING article goes further by saying that BANKRUPT carriers will face a Virtual IMPOSSIBILITY of getting $$$$$ a second/third or forth time around.

(Obviously, you and I KNOW that AA has NEVER seen the Inside of a BK court, and given a 96% FULLY FUNDED Defined Benefit Pension Plan, probably Never WILL see BK)

jim, one thing is CRYSTAL CLEAR.

Once the bottom 1/2 of the "6" go BELLY UP, the Survivors won't be able to get their hands on ENOUGH A/C, flight crews etc. to meet the demand of the USA flying needs.

If you become suddenly furloughed,...you may NOT be furloughed for LONG !

In Poker term,..the player with THE MOST CHIPS(in Texas hold um') gets to sit at the table LONGER than those with a "lesser stack" !!!!!!!!!!

You are something else bears... Have you ever heard of the term "relative"? If you look at the cash position of lets say USAIRWAYS, and then you look at the cash position of AMR, take the size of the two companies and the cost structure and you would not be spouting the words you type... First off, AMR has large fleet of old craft. US is half the size of AMR, yet has 3 billion in cash relative to AMR's 4 billion.... Come on now, lets take a look at how things REALLY are...

You are something else bears... Have you ever heard of the term "relative"? If you look at the cash position of lets say USAIRWAYS, and then you look at the cash position of AMR, take the size of the two companies and the cost structure and you would not be spouting the words you type... First off, AMR has large fleet of old craft. US is half the size of AMR, yet has 3 billion in cash relative to AMR's 4 billion.... Come on now, lets take a look at how things REALLY are...

well, DTTB, I mean Hi-C, Bears is actually correct, and your numbers are incorrect.

As of 3/31/08, US had $2.1 billion of unrestricted cash and marketable, not counting the auction rate notes that US has been unable to sell to anyone - kinda deceptive to call those "cash," dontcha think?

On the same date, AMR reported $4.5 billion of unrestricted cash and marketable securities.

So using your metric, AMR is in better shape, given that AMR is twice the size of US and has more than twice the cash of US.

It gets even worse for US: Like UA, US was the only legacy to produce negative cash flow from operations in the first quarter. AMR produced positive cash flow from operations of $449 million yet US produced negative cash flow from operations of -$25 million. UA's negative operating cash flow was -$80 million.

Finally, although you like to tell us that MP is worth roughly 10 times as much as the current market cap of UAUA (a laughable assertion), US has no such value in its frequent flier plan. Nor does US have any substantial unencumbered aircraft like UA and AMR do.

There's a reason that Wall Street values LCC at less than $3/share. US is teetering on the brink.

well, DTTB, I mean Hi-C, Bears is actually correct, and your numbers are incorrect.

As of 3/31/08, US had $2.1 billion of unrestricted cash and marketable, not counting the auction rate notes that US has been unable to sell to anyone - kinda deceptive to call those "cash," dontcha think?

On the same date, AMR reported $4.5 billion of unrestricted cash and marketable securities.

So using your metric, AMR is in better shape, given that AMR is twice the size of US and has more than twice the cash of US.

It gets even worse for US: Like UA, US was the only legacy to produce negative cash flow from operations in the first quarter. AMR produced positive cash flow from operations of $449 million yet US produced negative cash flow from operations of -$25 million. UA's negative operating cash flow was -$80 million.

Finally, although you like to tell us that MP is worth roughly 10 times as much as the current market cap of UAUA (a laughable assertion), US has no such value in its frequent flier plan. Nor does US have any substantial unencumbered aircraft like UA and AMR do.

There's a reason that Wall Street values LCC at less than $3/share. US is teetering on the brink.

first, what is DTTB, I have never seen that used? I have seen LOL and FWIW.. Guess I am not as sAAvy as you are LOL ...... Second, I never said US had as many assets as UAL or AMR etc etc... You forgot to calculate debt in your scenario. AMR needs way more than 4.5 billion in cash.. Lets not forget, you are taking on more debt as we speak (737s).. That is a liability, kind of like employee contract negotiations. Anyway, you can spin it how you want, it seems the analysts are thinking AMR is the most likely to file. Not that analysts know all, but you have to look at the overall picture.. Not just what you want to believe...

Back