Good job Jet Blue! Great Service

DDMAN

Nov 28, 2007
My recent trip on Jet Blue, BUR - JFK - SYR and back. We boarded the aircraft at BUR Friday afternoon. Then there was announcement that the there would be a delay leaving because we were waiting for connecting passengers to board from a delayed flight. I applaud them. We actually arrived at JFK early. Jet Blue has an LDC TV in all the seatbacks with 30+ channels of Direct TV (free) plus 3 channels of movies ($5.00 per movie). One of the channels shows the aircrafts position along with the altitude and airspeed. I was more interested in watching Die Hard 4 (I think), but since the middle seat was open we had it set to view the aircraft progress. The fastest airspeed I read was 696 MPH. I realize this is a fortunate result of weather. My connecting flight into SYR had to delay landing for 15 minutes since visibility was to low because of snow. We cruised around for about 15 minutes and then landed. Returning last Sunday there were many weather related delays in the NE. My originating return flight left SYR about two hours late. They periodically announced the status and kept the passenger informed. I was fortunate that my connection was another two hours after the flight landed. I was able to have a beer and watch some football at JFK. They have really good chicken strips. The flight departing JFK boarded on time, but we sat there waiting for the pilot to arrive. After the pilot arrived they announced that take off would happen shortly and the flight may need to make an unscheduled fuel stop in Salt Lake City. I was seated near the front and heard another passenger complain to the FA about the possible fuel stop. The attendant explained that the A320 on rare occasions may need to make an extra fuel stop on this route when there are strong head winds and a full flight. The passenger kept complaining. I told the passenger next to me that I would be happy to stop for fuel is the pilot thinks we need to. After all, what are the options? The pilot also made a few announcements with updates on our progress. Some of the delay in departure was made up on the ground since there were so many canceled flights we were able to go right to the front of the line for take off. Fortunately, we did not need to stop for fuel and landed about 15 minutes late. Yesterday I received the following UNSOLICITED email from Jet Blue:

Thank you for flying with JetBlue Airways on flight # from New York's JFK on December 2, 2007. We regret that we were not able to operate your flight as scheduled because of the fuel stop in Salt Lake City. We sincerely apologize for your late arrival and the inconvenience the situation may have caused you. As always, the safety of our customers is our first consideration.

As part of our commitment to you and consistent with our Customer Bill of Rights, we have issued you a $25 JetBlue electronic Voucher. When you are ready to use your Voucher, please call 1-800-JETBLUE (538-2583) with your confirmation number for this flight. The Voucher is for you and is non-transferable. JetBlue Vouchers are valid for one year and can be applied towards JetBlue Airways reservations or to the airfare portion of a JetBlue Getaways vacation package. Please visit our website's Help section for more information on how to use your Voucher.

We thank you for choosing to fly with JetBlue Airways and hope you will continue to look to us for your travel needs. We look forward to welcoming you onboard with us again soon.

Sincerely,

JetBlue Airways

Isn’t that impressive? I’ll have to call and mention the flight didn’t actually make the fuel stop. My guess is they will still want to honor the voucher. Also, this trip was a reward I earned and only cost me $10.00!!

:up:

You're confusing air speed with ground speed. An air speed of 696 would likely cause the A320 to break apart. The ground speed was 696 due to the air speed (probably about 525 - 550 or so) plus the tailwinds behind you, making the ground speed nearly 700.

I flew JFK-LAX last night on AA. As usual, my discount coach ticket ($307 return) entitled me a complimentary upgrade to business class (I'm a top-tier AA elite) where I was given a personal DVR player containing a couple dozen movies plus a slew of TV shows and numerous audio tracks. Oh, did I mention the BOSE N/C headphones as well? And a fairly decent dinner plus ice cream sundae and freshly baked on board cookies and milk? And no fuel stop, threatened or otherwise. jetBlue does what it does pretty well, most of the time. But sometimes it's nice to stretch out on a reclining biz seat for a 6 hour cross-country flight.

You're confusing air speed with ground speed. An air speed of 696 would likely cause the A320 to break apart. The ground speed was 696 due to the air speed (probably about 525 - 550 or so) plus the tailwinds behind you, making the ground speed nearly 700.

I flew JFK-LAX last night on AA. As usual, my discount coach ticket ($307 return) entitled me a complimentary upgrade to business class (I'm a top-tier AA elite) where I was given a personal DVR player containing a couple dozen movies plus a slew of TV shows and numerous audio tracks. Oh, did I mention the BOSE N/C headphones as well? And a fairly decent dinner plus ice cream sundae and freshly baked on board cookies and milk? And no fuel stop, threatened or otherwise. jetBlue does what it does pretty well, most of the time. But sometimes it's nice to stretch out on a reclining biz seat for a 6 hour cross-country flight.

Thanks for the clarification.....

Is that the service AA "tried" to copy from UALs P.S. Transcons?? Do they have a First Class on that flight??? or is it just business?? I am assuming it is a 2 class 767, is that correct??

Is that the service AA "tried" to copy from UALs P.S. Transcons?? Do they have a First Class on that flight??? or is it just business?? I am assuming it is a 2 class 767, is that correct??

No, there are 10 daily 762s each way JFK-LAX that offer three classes, First, Biz and I don't want to sit back there. A couple of daily JFK-SFO transcons are flown with 2 class internationally-equipped two class 763s.

You're too new to UA to realize it, but both AA and UA have flown 3-class transcons between New York and LA since at least the early 1990s.

When UA filed for Ch 11 and retired its 3 class 762s that had flown its transcons, it replaced them with the ps service on the 757s. Slightly better F and J seats, but otherwise basically the same as AA and UA have been doing for many years. Just a smaller plane and a new catchy name. Same basic 3 class service.