Got Privacy?

Never mind that the company in question here is jetBlue, any company would encounter serious repercussion because of a silly blunder like this release of private information.

The lawsuits are going to keep this thing in the public eye for some time and jetBlue had damn well better fire somebody soon rather than just apologize.
Otherwise it will be perceived as not taking this issue seriously enough.

Frankly I'm stunned at the amateurish nature of these guys: only this past weekend did one of the company spokesman admit that the info was "destroyed" within the past twenty-four hours (as if in this electronic era you can ever eradicate information that has been digitized!) and jetBlue seems to be hoping this furor will soon fade away.

Say what you want about the major airlines but I've gotta believe some crusty vet at AA would have rejected this request from the Defense Department. And exactly who are these bozos at Torch? They didn't even have a contract but yet could request the Defense Dept to obtain confidential info from a third party?

Yeah, I'm cutting on jetBlue. They deserve it. In heaps.

Once again...wake up. Name lists are sold all the time for profit. JetBlue provided this data with the intent that it would make airlines safer. Now their comments are reactive because somebody wanted to make a big deal out of this. Why does AT&T sell my name to Time Magazine when I only subscribe to phone service? Why does the AARP think that I'm retired when I only wish that I were? Why did the information that I provided for my Citibank AAdvantage card end up with mortgage lenders? It's because every day companies are SELLING our personal info. I'm sorry that this is a shock to many, apparently.

JetBlue provided info for what they thought would be studies to increase AIRLINE SAFETY...not to create additional revenue streams as in the above examples. The reason that this has been made into a big deal is because like WN, JetBlue seems almost "untouchable" (couldn't come up with the perfect word so I'm sure somebody will comment) at times since they are getting most things right while the majors are scrambling to get anything right. Whenever there is something that somebody (I find it interesting that it is a travel agent that doesn't get commission from jetBlue...only majors) can exploit as a weakness for WN or B6, they will do it...whether it is rationale when you step back and look at it or not.

Farley said:
Here's what I was referring to. Sorry for the confusion. If I'm misreading this one, forgive me in advance. But it seems that a couple of people here are enjoying watching this mess unfold. It reminds me of the one or two posters who constantly post negative information about United on the United threads. What's the point?
Farley

Thanks for the clear up but don't be too critical of the lawsuit remark. I hate to say it, but I have to agree that there are those out there that will look to make a buck on this blunder. I do hope the fine employees of JetBlue write management a strongly worded letter of discust for this occurence. I know the employees are a happy lot, but somebody put the reputation of JB at risk. Too many of these blunders could hurt the company and the bottom line....stock price, which, correct me please if I am wrong, is important to the employees as part of the benefit package. I do think it will smooth over.

Ch. 12 said:
Why does AT&T sell my name to Time Magazine when I only subscribe to phone service?
AT&T does not sell Time Magazine detailed records of your phone calls, including the numbers which you dialed, the phone numbers from which you received phone calls, the time which those call were made and how long those conversations lasted.

It is one thing to sell a list of names and addresses (I don't like that either), but it is a major invasion of privacy to sell detailed itineraries which were then combined with Social Security Administration numbers and other sensitive information from passengers' credit history.

The last time that I checked, buying an airline ticket was not a Carte Blanche to invade my privacy by third parties.

:down:

That will be 1 nail into JetBlue's coffin! How dumb can David Neelman be? Obviously he doesn't have a brain!

TWAnr said:
It is one thing to sell a list of names and addresses (I don't like that either), but it is a major invasion of privacy to sell detailed itineraries which were then combined with Social Security Administration numbers and other sensitive information from passengers' credit history.

The last time that I checked, buying an airline ticket was not a Carte Blanche to invade my privacy by third parties.

:down:
Funny, I dont beleive jetBlue released anything besides what anyone could find in a phone book... so i look at this as a non-event.

BlueFlyer21 said:
Funny, I dont beleive jetBlue released anything besides what anyone could find in a phone book... so i look at this as a non-event. [/QUOTE]
Then why didn't they just give the contractor a phone book? Or better yet, if that's all the contractor got from jetblu, then why didn't they just grab the phonebook out of the reception desk and leave Blu out of it? What if you prefer to have an "unlisted number"

BlueFlyer21 said:
Funny, I dont beleive jetBlue released anything besides what anyone could find in a phone book... so i look at this as a non-event.
Last time that I checked, the phone book did not contain detailed traveler itinerary information. JetBlue released complete PNR records to an outside party without permission to do so.

SAN FRANCISCO (CBS.MW) -- JetBlue reportedly apologized Friday by e-mail to customers for sharing confidential travel information on up to five million passengers last year with a government contractor developing a security screening system.

JetBlue shared passenger information

Chief Executive David Neeleman said Monday that the information contained "name, address and phone number, along with flight information, but absolutely no payment or credit card information."

JetBlue Gets Help Analyzing Privacy Plan

In a press release Monday, low-cost airline JetBlue said it shared passenger itineraries, but no payment information, with the Department of Defense for a Department of Defense project related to military base security.

JetBlue Retains Deloitte & Touche To Assist In Analysis Of Its Privacy Policy

P.S. Get a spell checker.

Why was jetBlue the only airline caught in this bamboozle?

If everyone over there (jetBlue, Torch, DOD etc) is so smart and market sensitive then why was this info only "destroyed" (yeah, right!) last week?

Do the airlines regularly provide items of great value just because someone unknown third party requested it?

Could this be the unique corporate transaction that has been heralded on this board in other threads?

TWAnr said:
You see...the problem is not JetBlue. The itineraries weren't the matching factor for SSNs. I've never known anyone that can get a SSN from an itinerary. The invasion of privacy came not from the JetBlue name list but rather when Torch Concepts purchased the data from a third party NOT JETBLUE to obtain SSN, employment, wages, etc.

I can say it until I'm blue in the face but nobody will listen...I can get the same data from the phonebook and then purchase the rest of the info, too. JetBlue provided the phonebook...that's all. I have seen no apologies or lawsuits involving Torch Concepts or Axciom. Seems to me like this is more of a tirade against JetBlue for the simple fact that groups (such as TA's) have been looking to hang them for quite some time.

Last time that I checked, the phone book did not contain detailed traveler itinerary information. JetBlue released complete PNR records to an outside party without permission to do so.

Big deal. Who cares where somebody flies ESPECIALLY when it's looked at on the macro level. The information released to the public didn't have the detail down to the passenger level (just the one person and that data was Axciom...not itineraries). This is just a reason to complain. Did you know that this same info goes to ARC? Uh Oh!! Lawsuit!!

P.S. Get a spell checker.

To me, this shows that you only want to complain or nit-pick. Just b/c BlueFlyer switched an "i" and an "e" in "believe" you think that is an issue? These are forums to voice opinions...not be graded on spelling/grammer...especially when it is one little mix-up that doesn't even make it difficult to read the message.

I can't wait until the next "WN accident" where an a/c stops a foot past the runway. Then all of the masses on this thread will run to the WN board and post how tragic of an accident it was.

Thousands of pax have already filed a lawsuit regarding this. More people are filing lawsuits everyday. B6 blew it and they know it!!

Oh my, another public service provided by BUSDRVR. What a guy! Do you have any time for any thing other than posting negative info on other airlines threads, or serving as the front man for a lawsuit chasing legal firm? Bitterness is a sad companion.

Latest posts