Ground Handling News?

Does anyone have any updates on who has been awarded ground handling in the spoke stations that were bid out?

AVL, CHA and FWA were awarded to Comair..no surpise. With this trend, it looks like there was no reason for other vendors to even submit bids to Delta. Our station is supposed to hear something by 4 Feb. We all know who is going to be awarded the ramp work so why even bother?

I am not aware of any other stations being announced. If someone knows, please post.

If I find anymore announcements, I'll advise.

What is funny (but not really) is that the Mainline agents at the counter think they are bulletproof.
After looking at the flight schedule over the next few months, looks like the mainline flights will be slowly disappearing ...should be interesting.

AVL, CHA and FWA were awarded to Comair..no surpise. With this trend, it looks like there was no reason for other vendors to even submit bids to Delta. Our station is supposed to hear something by 4 Feb. We all know who is going to be awarded the ramp work so why even bother?

I am not aware of any other stations being announced. If someone knows, please post.

What is funny (but not really) is that the Mainline agents at the counter think they are bulletproof.
After looking at the flight schedule over the next few months, looks like the mainline flights will be slowly disappearing ...should be interesting.

Will post again when its announced-sorry

Better send your resume in to Comair....
Seems pretty ominus that that Delta hired Comair to assess each outsourced stations facilities and now some of the NW stations that were being handled by non mainline employees are losing their gates, counter, ops and being moved in with Comair. They are to "co-habitate" until the contracts are awarded. I do not want to post which stations I heard are being moved starting next week because most of the employees handling the NW flights do not even know- there has been NO official annoucement on the NW side, just leaks from the Comair side whose employees seem to know a whole lot more about whats going on and the timeline involved. That is so unfair...gee, just keep coming to work because "no contracts have been awarded yet" but you dont even have a place to hang your coat and have to use your competitors gates, counter, ops and breakroom. I am sure that you will be greeted with open arms. :shock:

I would like to know in the next couple of weeks how things are going in those stations-seems like a reciepe for chaos.

Good luck to all- glad I am retired

the NW flights do not even know- there has been NO official annoucement on the NW side, just leaks from the Comair side whose employees seem to know a whole lot more about whats going on and the timeline involved.

Interesting...

At my station we (NW mainline) have been told to prepare to take over the Comair operation, while they haven't been told much at all...

Interesting...

At my station we (NW mainline) have been told to prepare to take over the Comair operation, while they haven't been told much at all...

I can understand if one of the two stations is handled by mainline then it should go to DL or NW mainline but there are 60+ stations that both DL and NW are handled by vendors in the same city. If Comair is the DL vendor why even bother to bid it out? The letter I saw laying out the cohabitation process was dated a few months ago while the "bids" were due in December to be awarded in Feb. Its bad enough that the payscale/benefits for the vendors is so low but to string people along with the hope that their company may get the bid for something that looks to have been decided before the bids ever went out is just not right.

Its bad enough that the payscale/benefits for the vendors is so low but to string people along with the hope that their company may get the bid for something that looks to have been decided before the bids ever went out is just not right.

I hear ya...

They're stringing everyone along, regardless of city...

The letter from SVP Knotek back in October raised more questions than it answered...

With that said, I would think that preference would be given to Comair and/or Mesaba (assuming they're already in place at any given city), simply because they're wholly owned.

I can understand if one of the two stations is handled by mainline then it should go to DL or NW mainline but there are 60+ stations that both DL and NW are handled by vendors in the same city. If Comair is the DL vendor why even bother to bid it out? The letter I saw laying out the cohabitation process was dated a few months ago while the "bids" were due in December to be awarded in Feb. Its bad enough that the payscale/benefits for the vendors is so low but to string people along with the hope that their company may get the bid for something that looks to have been decided before the bids ever went out is just not right.
Exactly! We were told our intergration would be the first week of May, with an answer (either way) by 4 Nov.
Like I mentioned earlier, OH=3 stations (that I know of) and 9E (et al)=0
More stations to quickly follow as 4 Feb approaches.
I was told by a reliable source that 9E bid so low, there was "$0" profit to be made by 9E by winning any potential contracts. What income that would be potentially earned throughout the contract would be above and beyond for DL/9E. So, the "lowest bidder" stuff to me is smoke and mirrors. Comair appears to heave been their choice all along. :angry:

Better send your resume in to Comair....
Seems pretty ominus that that Delta hired Comair to assess each outsourced stations facilities and now some of the NW stations that were being handled by non mainline employees are losing their gates, counter, ops and being moved in with Comair. They are to "co-habitate" until the contracts are awarded. I do not want to post which stations I heard are being moved starting next week because most of the employees handling the NW flights do not even know- there has been NO official annoucement on the NW side, just leaks from the Comair side whose employees seem to know a whole lot more about whats going on and the timeline involved. That is so unfair...gee, just keep coming to work because "no contracts have been awarded yet" but you dont even have a place to hang your coat and have to use your competitors gates, counter, ops and breakroom. I am sure that you will be greeted with open arms. :shock:

I would like to know in the next couple of weeks how things are going in those stations-seems like a reciepe for chaos.

Good luck to all- glad I am retired

Might as well go ahead and let the rumors fly. What stations have you heard? Any particular ones in Tennessee???

Might as well go ahead and let the rumors fly. What stations have you heard? Any particular ones in Tennessee???

I do not know about any TN stations. They (the conversion team) are in ROC today...others mentioned were FWA, CAK and ABE. Not sure what the timeline is for those stations.

Kev- thanks for the link....seems like everyone is in the dark.

Update- Just in case anyone is interested
The "conversion" team has layed out a plan to use Comairs 2 exisiting gates to handle all NW-DL flights, getting rid of NW's 2 gates. The carriers will have a combined 7 overnight planes, 5 of which depart 1st thing in the morning (within 30 min of each other) Also with the reduction of the NW gates they will have to remote park the remaining planes at a cost of $200 each per night to the airport authority. NW-DL each have signed contacts with the airport for another 2 years for their individual spaces which means DL may be paying for the space anyway but yet the airport has been told that the transition to one operation will continue as scheduled. So far this sounds like a great way to save $$ :shock: The bag make up room only has space for 1 set of carts at a time. Im told that to get 5 planes out in the morning in that limited work space would be almost impossible by a seasoned crew let alone a combined force of employees each working their own AC but sharing the same space. Add in trying to make 2 competitors for the same job share work space with eachother until the bids are announced....what genius thought this up? The timing for this transition is just perfect.... Feb break is just around the corner (this neck of the woods always ushers in Spring Break with a freak blizzard)
Sadly enough I heard this info from an airport employee. The XJ employees have heard nothing from their manager or HQ, the Comair employees know about the move, timeline etc but not much more.

Update- Just in case anyone is interested
The "conversion" team has layed out a plan to use Comairs 2 exisiting gates to handle all NW-DL flights, getting rid of NW's 2 gates. The carriers will have a combined 7 overnight planes, 5 of which depart 1st thing in the morning (within 30 min of each other) Also with the reduction of the NW gates they will have to remote park the remaining planes at a cost of $200 each per night to the airport authority. NW-DL each have signed contacts with the airport for another 2 years for their individual spaces which means DL may be paying for the space anyway but yet the airport has been told that the transition to one operation will continue as scheduled. So far this sounds like a great way to save $$ :shock: The bag make up room only has space for 1 set of carts at a time. Im told that to get 5 planes out in the morning in that limited work space would be almost impossible by a seasoned crew let alone a combined force of employees each working their own AC but sharing the same space. Add in trying to make 2 competitors for the same job share work space with eachother until the bids are announced....what genius thought this up? The timing for this transition is just perfect.... Feb break is just around the corner (this neck of the woods always ushers in Spring Break with a freak blizzard)
Sadly enough I heard this info from an airport employee. The XJ employees have heard nothing from their manager or HQ, the Comair employees know about the move, timeline etc but not much more.
Well, Pinnacle was finally awarded two brand-new stations: LBB and MFE (both in Texas). Not sure who all bid but at least 9E was awarded 2 stations...finally. Hopefully more stations to come!

Well, Pinnacle was finally awarded two brand-new stations: LBB and MFE (both in Texas). Not sure who all bid but at least 9E was awarded 2 stations...finally. Hopefully more stations to come!
[/quote

Do you know who had the contract before,? Was delta larger?

If DL or DCI flew there, they were automatically larger, as neither NW nor Airlink flew to these cities (9E had previously, but it was discontinued some time ago).

Latest posts