Happy Bonus Day!

WeAAsles said:
I'm not so sure how fast I would be willing to jump ship especially if you have to start once again from the bottom of the payscale.

And of course also.

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/airline-industry/20150706-southwest-airlines-mechanics-seek-federal-mediation-on-contract-talks1.ece

I can personally say it was well worth starting at the bottom of scale at age 56, already halfway to topout and making only $1.23 less than after 23 years at AA, not even including profit sharing. I'd be willing to bet our contract is settled before AA's JCBA. O, and congrats on the bonuses to the upper muckety mucks. 

Reactions: 1 person
Birdman said:
I can personally say it was well worth starting at the bottom of scale at age 56, already halfway to topout and making only $1.23 less than after 23 years at AA, not even including profit sharing. I'd be willing to bet our contract is settled before AA's JCBA. O, and congrats on the bonuses to the upper muckety mucks.

Excellent Payscale and it only takes you 6 years to reach topout.

http://www.amfanational.org/docs/contracts/swamechs_contract_2008.pdf

Again can you tell me how many mechanics SWA has employed per aircraft and I'm guessing unless you have an insider those jobs must be very tough to get?

BTW Fleet just signed a deal and those wage increases looked pretty measly. I'll bet you don't get offered too much either unless you want to wait around for another couple of years. Kelly has said numerous times that the airline needs to bring down its costs to match the new landscape. Do you really think you can force him to think differently on that?

WeAAsles said:
Again I'm just not so sure if I ran a business that I would have been looking for someone who said that they were coming from AA during those years?
Arguably, someone who has had to manage thru adversity is worth far more to an employer than someone who has never had to face it.

I tend to hire street smart over book smart. So do most employers I've come across. Sure, there are still those who feel compelled to hire based on pedigree vs. experience, but maybe that's because all they know is their own pedigree and can't tell the difference just yet...

Reactions: 3 people
eolesen said:
Arguably, someone who has had to manage thru adversity is worth far more to an employer than someone who has never had to face it.

I tend to hire street smart over book smart.
I personally think street smarts is far more valuable than book smarts as well. But I assume you have to have a pretty long interview process to try and make the determination who has the most of which, or both?

So no argument here.

On a side note Eric. I'm not sure how it worked in your department but I've seen two large layoffs of lower management in my career. The first one was in 2003. I was in DFW and was surprised that upper management got rid of all the one's we didn't get along with (One that I personally did though) Then after the BK what I saw is they got rid of all the older CSM's. Those that were close to retirement. I checked around to other stations and it was the same story in every one I reached out to. 

I guess you have to say when you're in management good luck trying to file an age discrimination lawsuit. But I saw the decision of the old AA management team and it was pretty disgusting if you ask me. Those were some decent people that I personally knew. 

WeAAsles said:
Excellent Payscale and it only takes you 6 years to reach topout.

http://www.amfanational.org/docs/contracts/swamechs_contract_2008.pdf

Again can you tell me how many mechanics SWA has employed per aircraft and I'm guessing unless you have an insider those jobs must be very tough to get?

BTW Fleet just signed a deal and those wage increases looked pretty measly. I'll bet you don't get offered too much either unless you want to wait around for another couple of years. Kelly has said numerous times that the airline needs to bring down its costs to match the new landscape. Do you really think you can force him to think differently on that?

After 5 years you top out, just like AA. The WN mechanics decided long ago to maintain quality jobs, not exchange concessions for jobs. BTW, not one mechanic has ever been laid off at Southwest. There's no doubt AA has more mechanics per aircraft but look at the cost for that distinction. Most mechanics will agree the cost was to high. I'll have to say everyone that stays at AA deserves a bonus.  As to our fleet contract congrats to the TWU, they sold the T/A in traditional 51% fashion. In regard to Mr. Kelly and negotiations, with record profits it's no time to expect economic or quality of work life concessions from employees. Flexibility and compromise on all other issues is certainly prudent. 

The TWU  (Totally Worthless Union) at work for the fleet service at SWA.
What do you think they will do here at AA.

I AM  T otally W orthless U nion ASS.

ATD said:
The TWU  (Totally Worthless Union) at work for the fleet service at SWA.
What do you think they will do here at AA.

I AM  T otally W orthless U nion ASS.
You're a totally worthless Union ass? Ok if you say so I guess.

52 years and counting now AA employees have said they prefer more jobs over money.

It must be hard in life constantly being a part of the minority?

Birdman said:
After 5 years you top out, just like AA. The WN mechanics decided long ago to maintain quality jobs, not exchange concessions for jobs. BTW, not one mechanic has ever been laid off at Southwest. There's no doubt AA has more mechanics per aircraft but look at the cost for that distinction. Most mechanics will agree the cost was to high. I'll have to say everyone that stays at AA deserves a bonus.  As to our fleet contract congrats to the TWU, they sold the T/A in traditional 51% fashion. In regard to Mr. Kelly and negotiations, with record profits it's no time to expect economic or quality of work life concessions from employees. Flexibility and compromise on all other issues is certainly prudent.
Well I guess that's ok if you're the one deciding what a quality job is especially if it's yours. But I also very much doubt that "most" mechanics at AA who continued their employment would agree with you if it had been their jobs (thousands) on the chopping block.

I doubt you're going to be offered any economic concessions, but if you're demanding the moon over there you're going to be waiting quite a few more years for your dream to come true.

Maybe after the other guys are done you can state your case for improvements legitimately.

WeAAsles said:
You're a totally worthless Union ass? Ok if you say so I guess.

52 years and counting now AA employees have said they prefer more jobs over money.

It must be hard in life constantly being a part of the minority?
Which poll asked us if we prefer jobs over money? Are you referring to that TWU questionnaire some years back where they asked us what was most important? If I recall, JOB SECURITY ranked #1. But it was EACH worker's job security they were asking about. Not everyone else's. Do you recall that mechanics numbered in the mid 12,000's? Now it stands at around 7400.
Looks like job loss to me. Remember we once had our own cabin service? I guess all these years of voting for contracts to save jobs really paid off. 

Here's a novel idea.....
Maybe all workers in the US should work for minimum wage. That way we can have ZERO PERCENT unemployment.

MetalMover said:
Which poll asked us if we prefer jobs over money? Are you referring to that TWU questionnaire some years back where they asked us what was most important? If I recall, JOB SECURITY ranked #1. But it was EACH worker's job security they were asking about. Not everyone else's. Do you recall that mechanics numbered in the mid 12,000's? Now it stands at around 7400.
Looks like job loss to me. Remember we once had our own cabin service? I guess all these years of voting for contracts to save jobs really paid off. 

Here's a novel idea.....
Maybe all workers in the US should work for minimum wage. That way we can have ZERO PERCENT unemployment.

12000? You mean right after AA bought TWA. We were also up to around 14000 and went down to the same numbers as you as they took planes out of the system and parked them out in the dessert.

As Sears closes stores they're also going to have less people working for Sears as well. I think AA went from around 120,000 after TWA to less than 80,000 by the time the BK came? Don't think between Mechanics and Fleet we made up 40,000 job loses did we?

WeAAsles said:
Well I guess that's ok if you're the one deciding what a quality job is especially if it's yours. But I also very much doubt that "most" mechanics at AA who continued their employment would agree with you if it had been their jobs (thousands) on the chopping block.
I doubt you're going to be offered any economic concessions, but if you're demanding the moon over there you're going to be waiting quite a few more years for your dream to come true.
Maybe after the other guys are done you can state your case for improvements legitimately.
quit worring about what mechanics do and worry about your group. I'm going for money and benefits . The company has always layed off people at will no matter what the contracts say. AA has great lawyers the twu should get lawyers to negotiate then maybe we would have better contracts. Your one of the reason I want the mechanics to have there on union you worry about mechanics Numbers and worry about where we live. You hate mechanics and your post prove it . So stay out of our business .and fleet has took a lot of our jobs . so quit with your pay cuts for jobs crap . That's should never be the union way.the union way should be get great pay and benefits . Then fight to keep jobs not the other way of round.l

conehead777 said:
quit worring about what mechanics do and worry about your group. I'm going for money and benefits . The company has always layed off people at will no matter what the contracts say. AA has great lawyers the twu should get lawyers to negotiate then maybe we would have better contracts. Your one of the reason I want the mechanics to have there on union you worry about mechanics Numbers and worry about where we live. You hate mechanics and your post prove it . So stay out of our business .and fleet has took a lot of our jobs . so quit with your pay cuts for jobs crap . That's should never be the union way.the union way should be get great pay and benefits . Then fight to keep jobs not the other way of round.l

Go for whatever you want. If your negotiators bring you back your money over jobs (I doubt they will) then you have ONE vote. Maybe people will agree with your vote and join you (I doubt they will) then congratulations. My guess is living in DFW since you probably already have the Big House, the F-150 and the Boat, your next purchase will probably be a nice little Cesna right?

I absolutely don't hate mechanics. But can you take a guess who I probably do hate?

You greedy little Devil you.

http://web.mit.edu/airlinedata/www/2014%2012%20Month%20Documents/Employees%20and%20Productivity/MX/Average%20In%20House%20Maintenance%20Employees%20per%20Aircraft.htm

Reactions: 2 people