HDQ to leave DFW?

UPNAWAY said:
From a practicle standpoint what might be the most likely "areas outside of Ft Worth"?
Who cares? DP is just shaking down DFW for $$$$.
It's what he does.
Cheers.

Reactions: 1 person
It's called posturing...More savings to add to their "synergies" and line their pockets (maybe it's to give the workers profit sharing)  :rolleyes:

There's no shaking down to do at DFW... But, they could quite easily move the offices to Dallas, Las Colinas (Irving) or to Arlington, Grand Prairie, or Southlake. I know there were detailed discussions about 10-12 years ago on whether or not to move to downtown Dallas. The thought at the time was to have more of a voice on Love Field...

Logistically, it makes little difference whether or not the HDQ is located next to the airport or not. TW, CO, UA, and B6 seemed to managed well enough by having off-airport offices.

DL, NW, WN, AA and AS have/were always been next to the airport property, if not on-airport.

Internationally, KL, JL, MX, AM, DJ, VA and NH were all downtown headquarters complexes. CZ, MU, CX, QF, JJ, SR, and AV were/are at the airport.

I've got a lot of friends at UA who were impacted by the move from being out in the suburbs to being downtown Chicago. Four years ago, they hated the idea of having to take the train into the city. Fast forward to today, and they love it. It's opened up the ability for a whole different subset of employees to be recruited, mainly folks who don't own cars... That's a bigger issue in blue states than in Texas, but from personal experience, being able to take the train to/from work and use that downtime however I want to beats being stuck behind the wheel on 360, 183 or 121, hands down...

Are both HDQ 1 and HDQ 2 big enough for the combined employees? Didn't Envoy (Eagle) move offsite to Irving?

Josh

It would be more than a stretch to try and cram everyone into HDQ1/HDQ2. It would be almost impossible to take what's in Tempe and move it into Centerport without adding another building.

Moving Envoy out only accounted for 25% of one floor, and perhaps a combined 25% of another floor out of the 5.5 habitable floors in HDQ1. There are 3.5 habitable floors in HDQ2. I forget just how many cubes are in each wing, but I'd guess it's close to 500 employees per floor, give or take.

No there is a space issue which is at least partially why this even being discussed. There is virtually no ongoing moves now from Tempe due to no space. When the new SOC opens they will move people there (to the old one), but that will not even cover it all.

eolesen said:
There's no shaking down to do at DFW... But, they could quite easily move the offices to Dallas, Las Colinas (Irving) or to Arlington, Grand Prairie, or Southlake. I know there were detailed discussions about 10-12 years ago on whether or not to move to downtown Dallas. The thought at the time was to have more of a voice on Love Field...

Logistically, it makes little difference whether or not the HDQ is located next to the airport or not. TW, CO, UA, and B6 seemed to managed well enough by having off-airport offices.

DL, NW, WN, AA and AS have/were always been next to the airport property, if not on-airport.

Internationally, KL, JL, MX, AM, DJ, VA and NH were all downtown headquarters complexes. CZ, MU, CX, QF, JJ, SR, and AV were/are at the airport.

I've got a lot of friends at UA who were impacted by the move from being out in the suburbs to being downtown Chicago. Four years ago, they hated the idea of having to take the train into the city. Fast forward to today, and they love it. It's opened up the ability for a whole different subset of employees to be recruited, mainly folks who don't own cars... That's a bigger issue in blue states than in Texas, but from personal experience, being able to take the train to/from work and use that downtime however I want to beats being stuck behind the wheel on 360, 183 or 121, hands down...
Have to agree that being in a city probably makes for a better run company. The beginning of the end for Union Carbide was when they decided to move from Park Avenue to Danbury CT. They lost a lot of talent that didn't own cars and didn't want to leave the city. They never recovered and were eventually bought by DOW. Why did they move? Because Danbury was closer to where most of the executives lived. Too busy looking at the Deer running around in the woods instead of managing the business. 

I suspect that if AA does move its probably for the same reason as why Union Carbide moved. 

UPNAWAY said:
No there is a space issue which is at least partially why this even being discussed. There is virtually no ongoing moves now from Tempe due to no space. When the new SOC opens they will move people there (to the old one), but that will not even cover it all.
Why do they need space? With the synergies they will be cutting heads.

eolesen said:
It would be more than a stretch to try and cram everyone into HDQ1/HDQ2. It would be almost impossible to take what's in Tempe and move it into Centerport without adding another building.

Moving Envoy out only accounted for 25% of one floor, and perhaps a combined 25% of another floor out of the 5.5 habitable floors in HDQ1. There are 3.5 habitable floors in HDQ2. I forget just how many cubes are in each wing, but I'd guess it's close to 500 employees per floor, give or take.
Didn't AA used to have those buildings across the street from HDQ? 

From what I recall, AA owns the two towers (CP5/HDQ1 & CP4/HDQ2) and used to own CP-1 (a converted warehouse fairly far back on the property, and almost exclusively filled with Sabre programmers).

CP2, across the street from CP4 and connected to CP5/4 by an underground tunnel, was leased. When they moved out of CP2, the tunnel was blocked off. There was also some space leased at CPOC, which is where Amon Carter T intersects with Trinity, and CRE had a few offices in a small building next to the post office, which is where AA's architecture firm was also located.

AA also owned the land just north of CP5, where CP6 would have been built (identical plan to CP5), but that parcel may have sold that off.

capture__200011.jpg

From the day that CP5 opened in around 1990/1991, Sabre and Cargo had been the main occupants of CP4. The original HDQ (aka Trinity) on the west side of 360 (just south of the Learning Center) was deeded to Sabre when the spinoff took place, as was the lease on CP-1. When Sabre moved out to Southlake, EDS took over Trinity.

With Sabre and EDS both gone from CP4, and the new Credit Union HDQ being built on the west side of Amon Carter, AA was able to vacate CP2 and move the remaining departments over to CP4...

UPNAWAY said:
From a practicle standpoint what might be the most likely "areas outside of Ft Worth"?
Dallas, Irving, Arlington. 
AA isn't leaving the metroplex. IMO they are looking for a tax break or to move to a shinny new building. (or pull a UA and go downtown for whatever reason.) 

eolesen said:

Delta is technically all on airport property. Its not in the fence but its all owned by Delta or the Airport and leased to Delta. (including the Jetbase and Cargo)

Technically, so is half of AA's headquarters and all of WN's. In the case of AA, it's built on top of the old GSW airport and a good chunk of that was incorporated into DFW's boundaries. What wasn't part of the airport was annexed by Fort Worth (they have a small strip of land that extended out to the airport, just like Chicago did when ORD was commercialized in the 1950's.

Bob Owens said:
Why do they need space? With the synergies they will be cutting heads.
 Well lots of US position will not transition, I have now idea how many but I would guess half at least. But that still leaves you adding thousands to AA HQ. Also there are many areas AA was very understaffed or not even doing that whole new departments are essintially being put together.

Latest posts