Hubs and Spokes

The LAA FSC's just got their recall to head back to PHX. Not sure when their report date is or how many gates they will staff.

28L_or_10R? said:
Sounds like the connect runners never received T-Link like the other hubs. Why didn't they make the investment? Any talk of T-Link there? They really could've used T-Link back in the day, I'll say that...

PHX has T-Link.  Years before the merger there was talk of an automated routing system for conx but nothing ever came of it.

DFWFSC said:
The LAA FSC's just got their recall to head back to PHX. Not sure when their report date is or how many gates they will staff.
WOW, that's gotta be good news for some.

DFWFSC said:

AANOTOK said:
WOW, that's gotta be good news for some.

It will be a rude awakening for them, as I could not imagine anyone wanting to come back to PHX if the former AA PHX side was anything like the US PHX management and operations.

Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWu6OThkq14

jimntx said:
eolesen should be able to clarify the exact [DAL] terms
Do I have to?... ;) DAL is strategically insignificant to everyone except WN.

Wasting any more time discussing AA or DL's presence there simply isn't productive, but here are the facts:
  • AA has a lease thru 2028 unless they exercise an exit clause in 2018
  • The "do not fly" agreement with the DOJ expires in November 2023
Also, I seem to recall the guarantee of service to smaller communities was for five years, not just three. Maybe that just applies to the states who filed to block the merger -- there might have been similar commitments to other entities e.g. CLT...

FWIW, the other night I worked a 737 flight from PHX to MCI.  For starters, it rained at PHX for about 20-25 minutes.  ATC diverted our cockpit to LAS that was coming in from SMF.  When we finally got off the ground shortly after midnight CDT (scheduled departure was 8:59 CDT) I had 9 people in F/C (5 were upgrades) and they had 34 in coach.  No, we didn't have any who changed their minds about going.  As a matter of fact until the day before departure, the load was 1 in FC and 37 in coach.

I looked at some other dates using NRTP and those loads seem pretty typical..  However, an AA/US Airways/America West 26 year flight attendant who commutes to PHX from MCI told me that she often has to ride the jumpseat,  Unless I just happened to randomly pick some particularly light load dates, I would say that route is destined for RJ service.

MCI and STL are perfect E175 routes from PHX. Not sure why AA put the 160 seat 737-800, when we couldn't fill the 124 seat A319 previously. Must be for AC routing?

Scheduled service to Cuba from MIA begins this Wednesday, 9/7.  MIA-Cienfuegos (CFG) and MIA-Holguin (HOG) launch first.

PHX gains two additional express routes, PHX-Santa Fe, NM (SAF) operated by SkyWest and PHX- Sioux Falls, SD (FSD) operated by Mesa begin 12/15.

Reactions: 2 people
ChockJockey said:
PHX gains two additional express routes, PHX-Santa Fe, NM (SAF) operated by SkyWest and PHX- Sioux Falls, SD (FSD) operated by Mesa begin 12/15.

hp-csr-phx said:
For PHX, for every mainline city we lost, it was replaced with an Express city to keep the flights the same as in the DOJ agreement. So far PHX has lost NS flights to CLE, FLL, YYC, YEG and next week ANC. We have gained MAF, LUB, RDM, MEM and SGU.

Jester said:
My belief and I have said before is that PHX will become primarily an RJ hub to relieve those flight out of LAX with mainline flying to all the hubs and maybe some select cities (BOS? SEA? ATL?) along with RJs and E175s taking over more of the mainline flying into DSM, MCI, and STL in the short term. 

Pretty much confirms what I have said before... PHX = future RJ hub as these additional flights have been assigned to Eagle aircraft. Hasn't PHX also recently lost TPA, as well? But hey!  We picked-up ROW and MTJ in exchange! When was the last new or returned city that was mainline into PHX?  Also notice how even some of the larger cities which still have mainline flying are also sharing more RJ flying on the same route, and I think some routes formerly all mainline are now entirely Eagle.

ChockJockey said:
Scheduled service to Cuba from MIA begins this Wednesday, 9/7.  MIA-Cienfuegos (CFG) and MIA-Holguin (HOG) launch first?
What are these routes being flown with?

It'll be interesting to see how all the non-HAV routes do...