Hurricane Irma/MIA

barfly744

Sep 6, 2017
My wife and I will be flying on a A330-300, which is scheduled to fly from Copenhagen to MIA, landing on Saturday afternoon. It is when Hurricane Irma has been forecast to have winds ENE at 50 mph in heavy rain. No word word yet from SAS about cancellation.

If you were the captain, would this be a go or no-go?

Last edited:
I'm not a pilot, but while dispatchers are watching the weather today , it's too early to make a go/no go call. The gulf stream could impact it's direction and send it more northwest towards the Carolinas.

It's way too early to tell where (or, even if) the hurricane will make landfall in the U.S.

My hurricane experience...
I was living in Houston at the time of Hurricane Alicia. When we went to bed the night before, the hurricane was forecast to make a direct hit on Corpus Christi, TX. We woke up the next morning to 115 mph winds. During the night, the hurricane made a hard right turn and hit Houston directly. The eye passed right over downtown Houston.

To clarify my question, I am assuming that the forecasted weather of winds NE at 50 mph with heavy rain actually held for MIA at the expected arrival time.. So its meant to be hypothetical. I wonder too how they can rely on forecasted information before the plane leaves for a 10.5 hour flight crossing the Atlantic. Especially about a hurricane with its possible course changes.

Last edited:
miami will likely be under orders to evacuate today which means all flights inbound will be cancelled by a certain time because there will be nowhere for pax to go.

if wx becomes worse than expected mid flt, the plane will divert to a safer airport like nyc.

if you look at flight aware.com during a hurricane, you may be surprised how many flights skirt a storm. safe travels friend

Last edited:
miami will likely be under orders to evacuate today which means all flights inbound will be cancelled by a certain time because there will be nowhere for pax to go.

if wx becomes worse than expected mid flt, the plane will divert to a safer airport like nyc.

if you look at flight aware.com during a hurricane, you may be surprised how many flights skirt a storm. safe travels friend
Another site that is an eye opener is www.flightradar24.com. You can see all aircraft in flight. And yeah...if you look southeast of San Juan, you won't see many planes.

Reactions: SharoninSAT