I just worked with a former "EAST" F/A - Many topics

TheNewLowFare

Senior
Aug 31, 2005
I just flew with a former "EAST" f/a who was based in Philly. She was commuting from the west, so this works out better for her. She said she seem to like the west system better of first come, first serve and being able to distribute the hours with all the reserves. She said in the east, she never worked because it was based on seniority. She said, she only worked 1 trip a month there and she hated it because she would forget some of the policies, procedures and safety information. She didn't think it was safe to do that. She said she seemed to work less when she bids the night flights and work more on day flights. The only thing she didn't like is the "tagging part", calling scheduling after a trip and being micro-managed by inflight supervisors.

I am friends with a bunch of east FA's and they generally feel the same way except they want to be able to pass trips. Some of the east people think that will be coming back ... highly doubtful IMHO. Of course certain east FA's refuse to follow west procedures even though they are working west and even go so far to wear their east uniforms. Then they brag about doing it the real "east" way. That just makes all east FA's look bad. I cannot wait to see their faces when the door arming and disarming procedures become like the west way ... LOTS of changes for both sides coming.

I just flew with a former "EAST" f/a who was based in Philly. She was commuting from the west, so this works out better for her. She said she seem to like the west system better of first come, first serve and being able to distribute the hours with all the reserves. She said in the east, she never worked because it was based on seniority. She said, she only worked 1 trip a month there and she hated it because she would forget some of the policies, procedures and safety information. She didn't think it was safe to do that. She said she seemed to work less when she bids the night flights and work more on day flights. The only thing she didn't like is the "tagging part", calling scheduling after a trip and being micro-managed by inflight supervisors.

The east reserve system is no longer based on seniority. Trips are awarded based on least hours flown. The two systems are probably now very similar.

I cannot wait to see their faces when the door arming and disarming procedures become like the west way ... LOTS of changes for both sides coming.

Wait until the passengers see it. I witnessed it this week and thought it was so pathetic I almost laughed, but then just really felt sorry for the little girl who was doing it. And the Easties think they have junior people, wait until they see who is working on the west side of the operation. :rolleyes:

and thats supposed to mean because we're younger, we're any less of a flight attendant then they are? They were in our shoes at one point, remember that. And I'm sure some of us, work harder then some of the senior FAs and enjoy the job more.

Not to encourage a "west" vs. "east" fight here, but the one thing I have noticed about the west F/A's is that they are very....by the book. For instance, on one flight, the F/C F/A was walking back to coach to pick up trash, and when she got to my row (exit row) she stopped and was about to turn around. Well, a passenger 2 rows back lifted her trash to be picked up, but the F/A didn't move to her row. Instead, she awkardly leaned over, leaning on somebody's seat, and made the passenger stretch for her to pick up the trash. She told them that she "couldn't" go past the exit rows.

I'm sure that that is a rule, but I mean come on, just step one foot past the exit row to pick up that trash.

Not to encourage a "west" vs. "east" fight here, but the one thing I have noticed about the west F/A's is that they are very....by the book. For instance, on one flight, the F/C F/A was walking back to coach to pick up trash, and when she got to my row (exit row) she stopped and was about to turn around. Well, a passenger 2 rows back lifted her trash to be picked up, but the F/A didn't move to her row. Instead, she awkardly leaned over, leaning on somebody's seat, and made the passenger stretch for her to pick up the trash. She told them that she "couldn't" go past the exit rows.

I'm sure that that is a rule, but I mean come on, just step one foot past the exit row to pick up that trash.

Well...we have write-up crazy flight attendants, supervisors etc. that will write us up if we don't follow procedures. It's so stupid I know! We had a flight attendant who got a suspension because he went pass overwing. It's so by the book and I hate it sometimes especially during emergency medical situations. I had a situation one time when I had a medical problem in the back and the two flight attendants were up in the front because one had to guard the door while the pilots use the lavatories. It's so stupid and frustrating! I had no help and had to deal with the medical situation by myself. I hope they change this policy because if there's fire in the back galley, we need the back-up flight attendant to assist.

Oh that nonsense is over with whether they like it or not. You're just not going to tell thousands of people with decades of experience where they can walk to in thier workplace, which is already a tiny aluminum tube. Get real... imagine on the A330 "Betsy, meet me at the mid lavatories on the right side with three J Lo Still perfumes and two Swarovski watches!!! I'll wave a linen from behind the bulkhead so you can see me in the dark. Otherwise all is well on our part of the plane. See you in six hours." DUH!!!!!!!!!! And what about crew rest? Crew rest areas are located in the back of the Economy cabin... or emergencies, or resolving service issues...

And please don't tell me they are like some of the Express carriers and have the rule where they have to go to the exit row and ask them if they know they are in the exit row like they are a dooshbag. I used to hate doing that, I'm glad we dont do it anymore. People always had the same stupid smart alecky answers thinking they were the first to think of it and it wasted time during boarding.

What is the west door arming procedure? Someone said they want them to recite a poem out loud for passengers to hear or something but that has to be a joke right.

Hopefully they will take the best of both.... from what I heard alot of customer service type things will go west way and safety/security/ stuff will go east way... it'll be interesting anyway...

Are they really write-uppy? One thing ill say about our F/As, we handle issues between ourselves... you never ever write up another flight attendant unless its a real safety issue. If you do theyll find out who you are and put a concrete lifevest on you somewhere in the carribbean and you wont be heard from again! seriously though you just dont do that...

Are they really write-uppy? One thing ill say about our F/As, we handle issues between ourselves... you never ever write up another flight attendant unless its a real safety issue. If you do theyll find out who you are and put a concrete lifevest on you somewhere in the carribbean and you wont be heard from again! seriously though you just dont do that...

No...there were a few incidents were a few flight attendants were writing f/a's up and their names got around. We started seeing their names in the afa boards or galley cabinets. lol....They were blacklisted and nobody wanted to fly with them again.

Anyway, I hope we do the safety/security/stuff the east way. I don't really like the west way, some are just so stupid! (Like the overwing thing and the two flight attendants guarding the cockpit while the pilots use the lav) It's so ridiculous and they do it while we are doing our inflight service!

We will see how the "west" door disarming works. You are going to take a group of FAs who have been trained to focus on the door then start to talk to them causing a distraction from what they have been trained to do.

It will either work or not. Only time will tell.

I cannot wait to see their faces when the door arming and disarming procedures become like the west way ... LOTS of changes for both sides coming.
I jumpseated on "West" a/c and thought our way of doing the doors was better. The F/A in the back agreed with me. He had 20 years. The other 2 F/A's had been there 2 weeks.

I jumpseated on "West" a/c and thought our way of doing the doors was better. The F/A in the back agreed with me. He had 20 years. The other 2 F/A's had been there 2 weeks.

What is your door disarming procedures? I've heard that the east has too many slide deployments that is why they are changing them.

the two flight attendants guarding the cockpit while the pilots use the lav) It's so ridiculous and they do it while we are doing our inflight service!

you need to explain to the people on the East how you guard the cockpit on the west side. it is so funny. the first time I saw it i thought it was a joke. i can't wait to see a senior momma from pit with her arms raised and legs spread guarding the cockpit. If you get a fight on changing procedure, that is going to be a big one.

Wait until the passengers see it. I witnessed it this week and thought it was so pathetic I almost laughed, but then just really felt sorry for the little girl who was doing it. And the Easties think they have junior people, wait until they see who is working on the west side of the operation. :rolleyes:
Would a WESTIE please go over the process for us EASTIES. I hear it is quite the process!!!

I highly doubt anyone would speak of security issues on a public forum.