I was given 24 days to Rebook after Father's death

Steve B.

May 21, 2018
This can't be right so I am reaching out to anyone who might have advise ...

I had a vacation planned for Jamaica end of February 2018. My father was hospitalized Jan. 28th 2018 with terminal cancer and given a few short months to live. No way I was going on vacation so I contacted AA and Couples Negril. Got a quick no questions asked refund from Couples and also received a more difficult travel waiver from AA. Didn't give the waiver much thought, just happy I would be able to rebook at a later date. My father did pass on March 26th 2018. Last week (May 16th 2018), we finally decided the time was right and attempted to rebook our flight back to Jamaica. I was told the waiver had expired. How is that possible I asked ? I only requested the extension in February. Rebooking said, because I originally booked the vacation on April 18th 2017 and the waiver was only good for one year from April 18th, 2017. Total shock and surprise to me, I had no idea AA was really only giving me weeks to rebook. Booking early really came back to bite me. In the rejection message from AA, they said I was given "one year to rebook" and "offered customers flexibility in rescheduling". Both those statement are categorically false. I wrote a response to AA customer support and awaiting their reply. Wonder what other options I have if customer support doesn't do the right thing.

Thank you,
Steve

If Customer Support does not "do the right thing" (by your standards), you're option is to never fly AA again. Nothing they do is not covered in the Contract for Carriage. Yes, I fully understand what you are saying about the fact that they basically backdated the waiver to the purchase date not the date you were given the waiver, or it seems that way anyway. But what they did...I can assure you is covered in the Contract for Carriage that NO ONE ever reads. It's that very small print on the back of your ticket.

Sorry for you loss, but I will be pleasantly surprised if AA relents on their decision that the waiver has expired.

They reviewed my waiver again and reversed their decision. Today, I was issued eVouchers good for 1 year from today. While I agree AA had every right to legally void my waiver. It was disingenuous to issue a waiver with an expiration date based on my purchase date. AA agreed and did the right thing. Very happy with the outcome. It would be nice to think AA also learned something in the process.

Latest posts