IAM Organizing JetBlue Ramp

Asking is not negotiating.

Company unions and yellow dog contracts are against the law in the US.

Reactions: 1 person
1502400_715402381936884_8504168940004553471_o.jpg

The Safety Committee is something I really miss about having a CBA. I'm proud of the work We did at NW, and even more so about how collaborative it was between labor & management.

Reactions: 3 people
700UW said:
the IAM members were supposed to be out there but they were more focused on their laptops  and a rerun of Gilligans Island, Can a representative tell me when they are going to start negotiating. Focus  on getting us to the table

Reactions: 2 people
NO they werent suppose to be out there.

US and the IAM have a clear cut safety policy in effect for lightening.

Many years ago, we had a mechanic killed in MCO when the plane he was on the headset with during pushback got struck by lightening.

Such hostility Albert, safety comes first.

I had an experience when I was going to push back a 767 going from CLT-FRA, there was a yellow alert in the area for lightening, before pushback I went up to the cockpit to tell the Captain, no headset and I would be using hand signals.  He then stated he wasnt going to allow a pushback then, I called my maintenance foreman out to the plane, and he backed me 100% then the Chief Pilot was called out, and he backed, union representation and a safety committee are just looking out for the safety of its members.

This is about JetBlue, there are many negotiations threads at the AA Forum for that discussion.

Every airport is set up differently, each carrier may have their own rules, and the those are subject to a supervisor's interpretation.

I've been lucky in that I have never been second guessed on a call to close the ramp. Other people I know have not been so lucky. With a CBA, and a solid safety committee, there can be a consistent framework on how to operate, and both sides adhere to it. I know the easy answe is "if there's lightning, get inside!" I get that, you get it, but not everyone does.

Aviatormx08 said:
In JFK not a single person is to be working when there is lightning in the vicinity. Union or non-union. I dont see how it is any different in other US airports
So please explain how a B6 ramper was struck by lightening while other workers were safe inside ie IAM represented AA employees?

Guarantee you that he put himself in that position. T5 shuts down when there is lightning in the area. So if main base is doing it, either he ignored company policy or his superiors in his station are. Either way please tell me how the union was going to deflect a lightning bolt from an employee...Zues doesnt seem to be a union rep. Joking aside it could have happened to your protected ramp guys walking into their protected office where the union wants them to be in the event of a lightning storm.

It was at PBI and she was female.

You weren't there correct?

And its management's job to inform the workers the ramp is closed.

For example at CLT for US, the safety committee along with the company and the city has traffic lights all over the outside of the terminal and the hangar informing the workers if lightening status of the ramp and calls out on the radio when we are at yellow or red alerts.

That's how a union can benefit its members and keep them safe.

Not disagreeing with you since I am currently with IAM at BA but some of your examples are a bit extreme. IAM is possibly the last to carry a pension and who knows how long that will last. It also isnt always in the best interest for every company to be represented. If the B6 guys were really that upset it would have happened years ago. Look at the pilot vote...it wasnt a landslide. It was very near 50+1. I have close friends in both tech ops and GO...trust me they have it good compared to DL. JB is still in their growing stage...marketing department runs the show (delaying an A check for a photoshoot with the Patriot cheerleaders for example). They claim to be comfortable flying under the radar...but when I was there all I heard was SWA SWA SWA. Now look at their tactics...extra seats, charging for checked bags etc. GO is also comprised of Part timers which are the most senior guys. That is another reason you dont see a push for a union. All the kids that work there only see the money and retirement aspect of it. The senior guys see their crazy amount of freedom being governed by a contract. The only thing B6 honestly needs is a quicker top out rate. Tech ops is 9 years, I cant recall what GO is. But compare the top out to other carriers and they're above UA and AA. Just the fact that it takes nearly a decade doesnt justify it.

Latest posts