IAM seniority concerns?

Discussion in 'American Airlines' started by 737823, Feb 24, 2013.

1. 737823

737823 Veteran

Are any current US employees concerned about the IAM facilitating a staple job at AA similar to what they did to the TWA workers in 2001? Obviously this is a bit different than the TWA situation (asset purchase) but anything is possible. I imagine once it becomes clear the IAM will lose members in the merger they will be happy to give everyone a nice gift for parting ways.

Josh

• Like Like x 1
  2. 1AA

1AA Veteran

It will be done fairly. No staple job for anyone. TWA was not a staple for the M&E.

3. robbedagain

robbedagain Veteran

josh there wont be any stapling 700 has pointed out numerous times that there is bond n macaskill that prevents anthr twa but my question to u is since u have such hatred for usairways why even ask u make it clear u hate them u dont fly on us so what gives

4. dfw gen

dfw gen Veteran

dove tail everyone. and staple josh to the bottom!

• Like Like x 2
  5. ChockJockey

ChockJockey Veteran

Nope. Given my seniority I doubt it would make a difference.

6. ograc

ograc Veteran

According to a Memorandum issued by Joshua M. Javits, the Federal Mediator/Arbitrator appointed to assist the parties (United-Continental Holdings & the IAM) in the process of seniority integration, it appears seniority will be "dovetailed" based on seniority by adjusted date of entry into a classification. "It is that policy that I will assist the parties in fairly applying in this case." The Memorandum is dated February 20, 2013. It's posted on the District 141 website in it's entirety.

7. ograc

ograc Veteran

If in fact there is a representation election at the combined US/AA and the IAM were to win I believe seniority integration would be handled the same way it's being handled at UA.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Tim Nelson

Tim Nelson Veteran

If there is not an election, then the MBA applies 100% and it is entirely unlikely that a staple will exist. Here is the contention, who bought who? Who is the surviving company? Those will be the questions an arbitrator will have to answer since I find it quite possible that the TWU will take the position that it is the surviving company [I'm not saying it is] because that argument is very significant regarding their contract language that gives them sacredity if so. OTOH, if the IAM collects 4,000 cards [unlikely unless they can reconcile some housekeeping matters] then there will be a representational dispute and the MBA will NOT apply at all. At that point, the winning union will be free to use its internal seniority policies. Thus, in a really real sense, if the IAM fights for its survival and trips an election, it could cause further damage to the seniority of US AIRWAYS rampers who will suffer 'great pain' if the TWU wins such an election. IMO, if there is any election, it would make no sense for any IAM member to vote for the TWU. Just speaking logically and not trying to incite whether the TWU is better or not. regards,

• Like Like x 1
  9. Tim Nelson

Tim Nelson Veteran

reasonable indeed

• Like Like x 1
  10. 1AA

1AA Veteran

If there is any election to see if the twu or iam will be the representing union it will be taking place after SCS. Any collection of iam cards at aa prior to single carrier status will be against the AFL-CIO No Raid clause. It will be a waste of time. By the time this happens AMFA would have filed already. Hopefully Amfa will file and win representation. Then we can all focus on our craft as one skilled group.

11. wings396

wings396 Veteran

Given who started this topic in the first place, nobody should even take Joshie's bait. Still waiting for you to tell us which financial institution you work for up there in Beantown Joshie. For some of you on the AA side who may not be familiar with this nutless little fella, he doesn't work in the industry, and never has. Just a chronic FF complainer, US & IAM hater and so on.

No Soup For You Joshie...

• Like Like x 3
  12. Tim Nelson

Tim Nelson Veteran

Out of curiosity and ignorance, what is going on over there? I heard the IBT was ready to file at AMR and doing quite well at US AIRWAYS MX? If AMFA is far along then that is good for AMR MX because the TWU is absolutely horrible. regards,

• Like Like x 1
  13. yoyodyne

yoyodyne Veteran

A picture is worth a thousand words, they say...

[​IMG]

14. 1AA

1AA Veteran

. Teamsters made claim number 3 that they are ready to file soon. Yet in Tulsa they had a meeting with the press and amts couple weeks back and admitted they DO NOT have 50% yet. They lie and deceive. Teamsters are clueless on how many cards they need to file. They have no coordinated group to do a card drive. Amfa will file coming in May. That is from their news release last week. Teamsters are full of crapola.

15. 1AA

1AA Veteran

Why support the teamsters? Higher dues. No mtc locals. False promises and lies. SWA signed enough cards in 2 weeks to file and got rid of the teamsters. Airtran was teamsters. All the teamsters needed was about 300 cards to file for a run off election. Guess what? Their own airtran guys would not sign. What does that tell you? Stay away from the money hungry teamsters.

16. Vortilon

Vortilon Veteran

The AMTs at AA "by a large margin" support AMFA. If not for some of the non A&Ps included in our voting block - AMFA would be representing the Aircraft Mechnanics & Related at AA already. The last AMFA drive at AA (back in 2004) fell short by only 45 cards. The same mistake will not be made twice. All the info from that card drive has been saved. The last minute additions from the TWU & AA of employees that should be included; as eligible to vote, for a new union. Including: dead employees, fired employees, management employees, retired employees, there was so much corruption - the TWU should have been ousted by the NMB on the grounds of fraud. They managed to convince the NMB - that close to 500 baggage handlers were eligible to vote in the Aircraft Mechanics representational election.

The Teamsters, I ran the guy off when he showed up at my front door. Talk about complete BS. Anybody want to pay an extra $400.00 per year in dues money? If you do - vote for the IBT. Do you want the Teamsters to take over you pension money - so they can put it into their already UNDERFUNDED retirement plans? How about dealing with more appointed, untouchable union types telling you how things are going to be, while they continue to live in the lap of luxury at your expense. Aircraft Mechanics in the IBT would be in such a small group, their concerns would never be heard.

17. Tim Nelson

Tim Nelson Veteran

Vortilun, and 1AA, I appreciate your responses. I'm neutral on who you guys want other than I think the TWU is terrible. I hope you guys get a election and you are right about the company NOT wanting anyone but the TWU. Hopefully, you guys get beyond the company hanky panky with NMB. May probably can't come soon enough for you guys. Why don't you guys work everything out and get all AMT's to sign everybody's cards instead of drawing camps? At US AIRWAYS fleet, everyone signed all union cards and we put 3 unions on the ballot and then majority decide? Card drives go so much quicker then. Looks like maybe some still like TWU since IBT and AMFA can't file. I read TWU contract and I have no idea what would keep folks from signing cards against them. What is really sad is that all of these unions have given away work and that sucks. Now they all blame eachother when none of them have done a good job over the past 20 years. Labor is rolling over in its graves over this S&%$. regards,

• Like Like x 2
  18. mike757

mike757 Member

Will former TWA IAM members be granted their full occupational seniority?
    The current seniority lists at American and US Airways will be integrated according to procedures prescribed by federal law. The goal of those statutory procedures is to achieve a single unified seniority list that fairly and equitably reconciles the interests of all of the employees in the merged groups.

http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2013/02/american-airlines-answers-other-questions-about-what-the-merger-with-us-airways-means-for-american.html/

19. Tim Nelson

Tim Nelson Veteran

Nope. Arbitrators almost never overturn previous seniority rules.

• Like Like x 1
  20. ograc

ograc Veteran

According to the most recent government statistics released, inclusive of 2012, unions now represent below 9% of the workforce in the private sector. The lowest percentage since the 1930s. A time when organized labor was born. Former labor leaders indeed have to be rolling in their graves. For the sake of our and future generations this trend had better change soon or we'll all be working for peanuts. IMO... the change has to come first from the elected leadership of the unions. Through contract language... they should be aggressively protecting existing members jobs and seeking language that brings more work to union represented jobs. Unfortunately, many existing unions' leadership teams are failing miserably in accomplishing this. In some cases they are actually agreeing to language that eliminates union represented jobs. As a dues paying member... I'm begining to feel like I'm a passenger on the TItanic.